The Namesake

The Namesake

RRP: £8.99
Price: £4.495
£4.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The novel then tracks Gogol’s growth, as the family moves into a small suburban town when Ashoke is hired as an assistant professor at the local university. Although Ashima occasionally longs for life in Calcutta, she realizes she has made a new life, a new home for herself and her family in the United States. Her stories are one of the very few debut works -- and only a handful of collections -- to have won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. You see, Lahiri takes a subtle approach without the need to hit the reader over the head with her message.

The family assimilates while pursuing the American dream and celebrates Thanksgiving and Christmas while living in a decent suburb.The Indian classical pieces (performed on screen by Tabu) were sung by Mitali Banerjee Bhawmik, a New Jersey-based musician.

He feels it is not his own, and it is not until college, after he has legally changed it to Nikhil, that his father tells him the story that lies behind it.Immigrant anguish - the toll it takes in settling in an alien country after having bidden adieu to one’s home, family, and culture is what this prize-winning novel is supposed to explore, but it's no more than a superficial complaint about a few signature – and done to death - South Asian issues relating to marriage and paternal expectations: a clichéd immigrant story, I'm afraid to say. The novel moves between events in Calcutta, Boston, and New York City, and examines the nuances involved with being caught between two conflicting cultures with distinct religious, social, and ideological differences. Simultaneously experiencing two cultures is not always easy, and this is the main theme of this book. And Ashima feels again out of place when the family relocates to the suburbs of Boston, just as Ashima was becoming accustomed to her Cambridge neighborhood.

The soundtrack has varied music: Indian, Anglo-Indian (by Nitin Sawhney, influenced by Ravi Shankar's music for Pather Panchali), [9] and a French piece. We build and maintain all our own systems, but we don’t charge for access, sell user information, or run ads. Ashley tells her; given that this is her first pregnancy, labor can take twenty-four hours, sometimes more. Both choose career paths that are not traditionally Indian so that they have little contact with the Bengali culture that their parents fought so hard to preserve. troppo giovane per capire la ricchezza di questa condizione, e lascia vincere dentro di sé il senso di estraniamento, di esclusione, lo spaesamento.Their marriage lasts only a few years before Moushumi, also rebelling against her Bengali heritage, has an affair with a white man. The end result was a feeling of being able to read this story quickly, yes, but through a thick layer of cellophane that left in its wake singular feelings of why am I bothering and its good old pal, am I supposed to care? But Moushumi realizes that Graham has reservations about the traditions that come with marrying a Bengali-American, and they break up. If a character is introduced, well, the only way to go about it is to list of their clothing, their rote physical attributes, their major, their job, their personal history as far as is encompassed by a résumé or Facebook page. I want to reiterate that my issues with this book were very easy (even for me) to initially disregard because of the beauty and near perfection of Lahiri writing style which makes up for many flaws.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop