The Last List of Mabel Beaumont: The unforgettable book everyone is talking about in 2023

£6.495
FREE Shipping

The Last List of Mabel Beaumont: The unforgettable book everyone is talking about in 2023

RRP: £12.99
Price: £6.495
£6.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I adored every moment, I was hoping that this mystery quest would have a good resolution and that every character found the happiness they were looking for.

The friends she slowly begins to surround herself with (much to her astonishment) show her that everyone has their own secrets and struggles and that what you see on the surface might not actually reveal someone’s true inner story. People only tend to show the parts of themselves that they feel others can handle. Mabel slowly shows her new friends that despite having isolated herself for so long, she does actually have an innate understanding of the workings of the human spirit. She might not get things 100% right, but her perceptions are often spot-on. In turn, these women show Mabel the importance of having female friends, through all ages and stages of our lives, regardless of how strong our romantic and family ties might or might not be. Instead of experiencing deep regret for all the years she missed out on, Mabel instead embraces what she’s found, and makes the most of it, although she obviously wonders “What might have been?”. A fabulous cast of characters all rally round Mabel as she starts a quest. After finding a list made by her late husband, Mabel starts a search for Dot, her best friend. Supported by her new group of friends, we see how their lives become intertwined, as much as they are helping Mabel, caring for her and allowing her to do more; they have also become projects that she feels she wants to help out. I adored it... A heartbreakingly beautiful story about love in all its different forms. (And she made me cry again, of course). Bravo.' Nikki Smith, author But now Arthur is gone. He died: softly, gently, not making a fuss. But he’s still left her a list. This one has just one item on it though: ‘Find D’.

Social Boldwood

This book is an absolute gift! I loved it. It was so not what I was expecting. I enjoyed the way that the author introduced her various diverse themes into the story, and I particularly liked the way that Mabel literally seems to come to life more and more as she understands that she still has a life to live. THE AUTHOR: Laura Pearson has an MA in Creative Writing from the University of Chichester. She lives in Leicestershire with her husband and their two children. All in all, this is a really sweet and touching book, filled with moments of love, care and concern. I guess the only negative for me was that even in its USP, it doesn’t venture much out of its comfort zone. Still, if you want a warm and fuzzy read, this is a great book for that mood. I wasn’t sure about Mabel at first, she seemed rather cold and a little uncaring but with unexpected support she blossomed and emerged from her previously constricting life into one of self discovery. I loved the element of intrigue surrounding her friend Dot; as the former fiancee of Mabel’s beloved late brother Bill, she would always be in her thoughts and Mabel’s quest for news of her friend kept me hooked. Why did she disappear so suddenly? Wow. Seriously. Just beautiful. So many wonderful elements… So many memorable characters… Beautiful and utterly affecting.’ Louise Beech

This novel is about finding new meaning in life, whatever your age, overcoming fears that have limited the possibilities that could have been, making new friendships that on paper shouldn’t really work and it’s really touching. This beautifully written story of friendship, love, loss and second chances captured my heart. It's a tender and uplifting read and I adored Mabel and her unlikely gang of colourful characters... Leaves you feeling warm, hopeful, and satisfied.' Lisa Timoney, author Secrets On The Estate” by Mel Sherratt – Book Review @writermels #SecretsOnTheEstate #EstateSeries #BookReview#NovNov23 November 28, 2023 Having a geriatric lead character is quite a trend nowadays, but to read about one who is willing to step out of her comfort zone is a nice experience. Mabel is an endearing protagonist, a good mix of interfering and caring. I love how she doesn’t restrict her friendships only to women of her own age, and isn’t judgemental about the younger generation. I also appreciate how the plot never made her justify her decision of not wanting children.It seems impossible. She doesn't even know if Dot's still alive. Also, every person Mabel talks to seems to need help first, with missing husbands, daughters, parents. Mabel finds her list is just getting longer, and she's still no closer to finding Dot. Arthur loved to make lists and leave them for Mabel to find, from the ordinary everyday grocery items to ‘I love today, tomorrow, always’. But now Arthur has gone, passed away in the gentle manner that was his way in life, quietly without a fuss. Mabel Beaumont's husband Arthur loved lists. He'd leave them for her everywhere. 'Remember: eggs, butter, sugar'. 'I love you: today, tomorrow, always'.

Since we have YA (young adult) books why not SA (senior adult) books because this book is about age, the choices we have made in the past, the outcome and the regrets. Mabel begins reaching out to others, opening up her formerly closed off life. Mabel learns to explore new things, something she refused to do for much of her marriage. She also realizes that she isolated herself, and she begins the process of reaching out and making friends. The women she brings into her life range greatly in ages and experiences, and all have their own troubles. All the women, including Mabel, gain tremendously from their new relationships with each other. Some parts of the book reminded me of ‘The Secret Life of Albert Entwistle’, another British novel with a geriatric lead character, and this is what made me guess the big reveal. Still, both books have their own charm and uniqueness, and both are rewarding experiences. In return, when Mabel strives to ‘help’ her new friends by interfering in their lives, she comes close to jeopardizing her newfound friendships. They all have aspects of their lives which they wish to keep to themselves, as does Mabel. Everyone of them has secrets…Written in elegant prose with superb characterizations and a realistic and relatable take on relationships – family, marriage, love and friendship -I found this to be a lovely story that will touch a chord in your heart. At the age of eighty-six, Mabel Beaumont loses Arthur, her husband of over sixty years. Mabel is a quiet and reserved individual and her husband was the one who was relatively more outgoing and expressive and also fond of making lists. As Mabel grapples with her loss, she finds her husband’s unfinished list with an item “Find D” on it. Mabel believes Arthur meant to find Dot, once Mabel’s best friend and her deceased older brother’s love interest. After Bill’s sudden demise and Mabel’s engagement to Arthur over sixty years ago, Dot disappeared from their lives. Mabel embarks on a quest to find Dot and finds a kindly and supportive group of people who are intent to help her – Julie, the new caregiver Arthur had arranged for her; Kristy a kindly neighbor and new mother in her thirties; Patty, a dance instructor in her seventies and Erin, a sixteen-year-old girl who Mabel meets in her local grocery store. For someone who has mostly kept to herself all her adult life, Mabel finds herself increasingly involved in the lives of her new friends, adding more items to her (Arthur’s which she expands upon) list and reflecting on people and events from her past – the people she loved and lost, her regrets and secrets about herself she has never been able to share with anyone. Mabel's quest for Dot and her plans to help her friends, (though efforts don’t always produce the desired results), each of whom is struggling with personal problems, gives Mabel a sense of purpose, in turn inspiring her to approach her own life from a fresh perspective.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop