The Withered Arm: The Withered Arms (Penguin Little Black Classics)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

He flung down his bundle, held the edge of the cabbage-net, and as she filled its meshes with the dripping leaves she went on, 'Well, did you see her?' She murmured a reply, in tones so low as to be inaudible to Rhoda,' and continued to gaze intently into the glass. Rhoda turned, and walked a few steps away. She had reached home after her day's milking at the outlying dairy, and was washing cabbage at the doorway in the declining light. 'Hold up the net a moment,' she said, without preface, as the boy came up. Perfect for revising the fiction component of GCSE English Langauge, everything you need to reinforce core English skills at KS4 can be found right here. But all was not over. Two days after, a shadow intruded into the window-pattern thrown on Rhoda Brook's floor by the afternoon sun. The woman opened the door at once, almost breathlessly.

Some were good enough,' he said approvingly; 'but not many of them for such as this. This is of the nature of a blight, not of the nature of a wound; and if you ever do throw it off, it will be all at once.' Halwill and Beaworthy (209m 60ch); [15] LSWR station on the Holsworthy line; renamed Halwill Junction March 1887

Shipping to the European Union

Detailing a spurned lover’s accidental curse on her beloved’s new wife, Hardy skilfully portrays the development and sudden downfall of the relationships. His depiction of the wife’s vicious determination to rid herself of the curse creates an unholy level of tension, with her eventual discovery of the origin then rendering the situation unbearably palpable. Her eventual choice of remedy, and consequences thereof, only Hardy could employ with this level of mastery. We learn that Gertrude cares for her husband and his opinions of her, and we know she is also hurt and upset because she cries. Later... Nothing more was said publicly about Farmer Lodge's wedding, but the first woman murmured under her cow to her next neighbour. "Tis hard for she,' signifying the thin worn milkmaid aforesaid.

The figure of Wat Ollamoor in “The Fiddler of the Reels” is obviously drawn from the legends which associate the devil with music, especially that of the fiddle. (Mop is also compared to Paganini, who was rumored to have drawn his power from the devil.) Once again, however, Hardy does not attempt to concentrate on the unearthly power of the musician; his concern is rather with its effect on his characters, especially Car’line. In this woman’s infatuation and helplessness, one can see the obsessiveness and sexual passion which also drive Tess of the D’Urbervilles. The bridge east of St Kew Highway which carried the line over the A39 road. This section of the road has been bypassed to avoid the low bridge Nothing I - care to speak of.' The constraint in her manner was remarkable; her face ,was so rigid as to wear an oldened aspect, faintly suggestive of the face in Rhoda's' bed-chamber.She did nothing for months, and patiently bore her disfigurement as before. But her woman's nature, craving for renewed love, through the medium of renewed beauty (she was but twenty-five), was ever stimulating her to try what, at any rate, could hardly do her any harm. 'What came by a spell will go by a spell surely,' she would say. Whenever her imagination pictured the act she shrank in terror from the possibility of it: then the words of the conjuror, 'It will turn your blood', were seen to be capable of a scientific no less than ghastly interpretation; the mastering desire returned;. and urged her on again. The summer drew on, and Rhoda Brook almost dreaded to meet Mrs Lodge again, notwithstanding that her feeling for the young wife amounted well-nigh to affection. Something in her own individuality seemed to convict Rhoda of crime. Yet a fatality sometimes would direct the steps of the latter to the outskirts of Holmstoke whenever she left her house for any other purpose than her daily work; and hence it happened that their next encounter was out of doors. Rhoda could not avoid the subject which had so mystified her, and after the first few words she stammered, 'I hope your - arm is well again, ma'm?' She had perceived with consternation that Gertrude Lodge carried her left arm stiffly. These descriptions of the newly married couple were continued from time to time by the boy at his mother's request, after any chance encounter he had had with them. But Rhoda Brook, though she might easily have seen young Mrs Lodge for herself by walking a couple of miles, would never attempt an excursion towards the quarter where the farmhouse lay. Neither did she, at the daily milking in the dairyman's yard on Lodge's outlying second farm, ever speak on the subject of the recent marriage. The dairyman, who rented the cows of Lodge, and knew perfectly the tall milkmaid's history, with manly kindness always kept the gossip in the cow-barton from annoying Rhoda. But the atmosphere thereabout was full of the subject the first days of Mrs Lodge's arrival; and fom her boy's description and the casual words of the other milkers, Rhoda Brook could raise a mental image of' the unconscious Mrs Lodge that was realistic as a photograph.

a greater sense of realism occurs if the characterization makes the characters seem well-rounded and complex. I walk a good deal,' said Mrs Lodge, 'and your house is the nearest outside our own parish. I hope you are well. You don't look quite well.' I see I have come to the right house,' said she, glancing at the lad, and smiling. 'But I was not sure till you opened the door.' By 1964 [14] the passenger service had declined to four trains a day plus a Halwill to Launceston short return journey.Casterbridge, the county-town, was a dozen or fifteen miles off; and though in those days, when men were executed for horse-stealing, arson, and burglary, an assize seldom passed without a hanging, it was not likely that she could get access to the body of the criminal' unaided. And the fear of her husband's anger made her reluctant to breathe a word of Trendle's suggestion to him or to anybody about him. If the sweet and kindly Gertrude Lodge only knew of the dream-scene in the bed-chamber, what would she think? Not to inform her of it seemed treachery in the presence of her friendliness; but tell she could not of her own accord neither could she devise a remedy. She was, however, too late. The time at which the sentences were to be carried out had arrived, and to make the journey and obtain permission at such short notice required at least her husband's assistance. She dared not tell him, for she had found by delicate experiment that these smouldering village beliefs made him furious if mentioned, partly because he half entertained them himself. It was therefore necessary to wait for another opportunity. Worked throughout its existence by the LSWR, the North Cornwall Line was dependent on the larger company, and in 1894 terms were agreed for a sale to the LSWR: In 1894, with rapid progress being made in building the line, a parliamentary notice was issued for a line from Padstow to Newquay and Truro, and from there with running powers over the GWR to Falmouth and Penzance. [4] However this was an aspiration for which there was no possibility of raising the necessary finance, [9] and the proposal came to nothing, but the GWR were concerned at this planned penetration, and it is said [4] that this prompted the scheme to build a line from Truro to Newquay. This became the Atlantic Coast Line, which links the GWR mainline at Par to Newquay. In 1905 powers were granted to provide a line to Newquay diverging in the vicinity of Bodmin Road. Proposals for light railways in the country between Padstow and Newquay continued until 1911, but none came to anything.

I mean,' she explained, 'that I want to touch him for a charm, a cure of an affliction, by the advi Motive power in later years had been the T9 4-4-0 Greyhounds and the N class 2-6-0s but with Bulleid Pacifics, often on uneconomically short trains, putting in an appearance. She exhibited on this occasion so much readiness to stay at home that he looked at her in surprise. Time had been when she would have shown deep disappointment at the loss of such a jaunt. However, he lapsed into his usual taciturnity, and on the day named left Holmstoke. Otterham (236m 20ch); [22] Otterham station ( Cornish: Prasotri) ( 50°40′29″N 4°36′47″W / 50.6748°N 4.6130°W / 50.6748; -4.6130 ( Otterham station)) opened on 14 August 1893 [23] was situated in bleak sparsely populated country at the junction of the A39 and the B3262. At 850ft (260m) above sea level it occupied the most exposed section of the line, open to the fury of Atlantic gales in winter - the LSWR planted a group of Scots Pines on the embankment above the down platform to provide some shelter from weather. A footpath linked the station with the village, which was more than a mile away: by road the distance was 2 miles (3.2km). Otterham Station was also the name of a hamlet which grew up near the station.I'll clear out the whole lot, and destroy them,' said she huskily, 'and try such remedies no more!' a b c Vaughan, John (2002). Branches and Byways of Cornwall. Hersham: Oxford Publishing Company. ISBN 0-86093-566-3. When the milking was done they washed their pails and hung them on a many-forked stand made as usual of the peeled limb of an oak-tree, set upright in the earth, and resembling a colossal antlered horn. The majority then dispersed in various directions homeward. The thin woman who had not spoken was joined by a boy of twelve or thereabout, and the twain went away up the field also. I did not speak to her till she spoke to me. And I did not go near the place. I met her in the road.' The North Cornwall Railway was a railway line running from Halwill in Devon to Padstow in Cornwall via Launceston, Camelford and Wadebridge, a distance of 49miles 67 chains (49.84miles, 80.21km). Opened in the last decade of the nineteenth century, it was part of a drive by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR) to develop holiday traffic to Cornwall. The LSWR had opened a line connecting Exeter with Holsworthy in 1879, [1] and by encouraging the North Cornwall Railway it planned to create railway access to previously inaccessible parts of the northern coastal area.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop