Lies: From the author of Netflix hit THE HOLIDAY, a gripping thriller guaranteed to keep you up all night

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Lies: From the author of Netflix hit THE HOLIDAY, a gripping thriller guaranteed to keep you up all night

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I mean, it had been promised right on the cover, with a teaser line penned by the prolific Lee Child that read, “Compelling and hypotonic…with a twist I guarantee you won’t see coming. I’m so honored to be able to reveal the cover for Vanessa Lillie’s buzz-worthy new mystery here on CBTB today! If you like psychological thrillers that are both relatable and compelling, I can assure you that this one will keep you turning those pages. These are pretty basic questions but in this novel issues are advanced through facebook postings, tweets, cellphone messaging and syncing. Now while the story slowed in the middle I started in on my predictions and while I was not spot on at the end I was rather close so by the time the story picked back up to give those last little twists and reveal I wasn’t overly shocked at the outcome.

Let me preface this whole review by saying: I love a good plot twist, but I love it when that twist is done right.When I reach a book’s twist, I want to be totally shocked, and I also want to be able to look back and see how cleverly the author hinted at that solution throughout the book without me even noticing. Combined with the fast pace and the high stakes for the protagonist, it’s immensely easy to get emotionally invested in the story.

William begins to have an asthma attack, and Joe makes a split second decision that will change his life—he leaves Ben where he is and rushes his son home. Though some issues with characters contained in the novel did hinder my enjoyment — slightly — readers looking for a clean and tidy thriller will likely find that this debut fits the bill.He browses Facebook and the news to blame the other guy for his unpleasant situation – not thrilling to read for me. Joe Lynch did when his young son, Will, spotted his wife’s car in traffic, he followed, intrigued as she turned into a hotel car park. I also felt like I had to suspend disbelief a bit too much throughout the story – yes, the title of the book is Lies and there are plenty of them in the story, but it seemed like only the main character Joe was the one constantly being lied to…. Throughout most of the story, there just seemed to be way too much “explaining” going on by various characters, especially as it related to aspects of technology and social media, things that I felt were common sense enough in this day and age that such thorough explanations felt unnecessary.

Joe has the perfect life a loving wife, and an adorable little boy, but as in all good psychological thrillers things aren’t always as they seem. He spent too long believing what his caught-in-not-just-a-lie-but-instead-in-many-lies wife told him.If you loved the movie Ready or Not or Jessica Knoll’s psychological thriller Luckiest Girl Alive, you’ll love Catherine Steadman’s THE FAMILY GAME. This book kept me on the edge of my seat and had me quickly turning those pages, I just had to know what in the world was going on! I'd say I was pretty invested in the story until about the halfway mark and for quite awhile after that I just didn't really care as much what happened to Joe.

It has since won a Nielsen Bestseller Award and been made into a four-part TV drama starring Jill Halfpenny (currently available on Netflix UK). I am beyond excited to have discovered this author, and now I’m even more excited to learn that he has another book out! Though undeniably binge-worthy and easy to devour, LIES was quite significantly spoiled for this reader thanks to an entirely out-of-left-field finale - a conclusion so dramatic and over-the-top I couldn’t help but feel I’d been duped. Today I wanted to round up 5 mysteries I personally love that all involve Christmas—but this blog post has a little twist! I feel like I can’t say more to avoid spoilers, but trust me - you will want to find out what happens!Moving between past and present, ALL THE DANGEROUS THINGS delves into the darkest corners of the life of one mother as she investigates the disappearance of her son one year prior—and, in the process, confronts long-buried secrets from her own childhood. BookBrowse seeks out and recommends the best in contemporary fiction and nonfiction—books that not only engage and entertain but also deepen our understanding of ourselves and the world around us. Ben is animated and plainly angry, pointing his finger at Mel, “his voice a barely controlled growl. For everything that frustrated me about him as a husband (seriously, Joe, she is in a hotel with another man in the middle of the work day! With his young son excited over the prospect of seeing mommy Joe follows his wife to a nearby hotel thinking she was going to a business meeting.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop