UPROAR!: Satire, Scandal and Printmakers in Georgian London

UPROAR!: Satire, Scandal and Printmakers in Georgian London

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

As wittily subversive and deeply entertaining as the material it details, Alice Loxton's Uproar is a delightful romp through the colourful and controversial eighteenth century. Loxton has built a time-machine in a book, and invited us all along for a ride. I would suggest you hop in! -- Joanne Paul, author of THE HOUSE OF DUDLEY As vivid and vibrant as any Rowlandson print - bawdy, beautiful, and brilliant -- Kate Lister, author of A CURIOUS HISTORY OF SEX Alice lives and breathes history - it's almost uncanny. I think she may have come from the past -- Dr Sam Willis, author of THE STRUGGLE FOR SEA POWER An irreverent gallop through the scandalous streets of Georgian London... Alice Loxton's vivacious prose brings to life the competitive, combative climate... the historian and are swept along by the breaking stories of the day -- Charlotte Mullins ― Country Life

Historical nonfiction purists out there probably won’t enjoy this as much as I did from a writing style perspective: Loxton uses modern references to make points in a very casual, comical, delivery style. She uses hypothetical dialogue, journal entries, and “picture this” narrative devices to bring the reader into the past-she doesn’t simply regurgitate factual information. This, for me, was an interesting choice, but one that worked, especially given the light, jokey content & tone of the book. Her delivery style on TikTok and her delivery in this book is very similar-I could hear her voice in my head as I read this! This book totally turns around the stereotype of dry history books loaded with dates and events. It’s a fun read, laced with Loxton’s wit and enthusiasm for the subject, often seeming like a novel in her vivid descriptions. She deftly describes events and compares them to modern equivalents in a totally entertaining way.Vivid, pacey and endlessly engaging, this brilliant debut brings the late Georgian period dazzlingly to life. Irresistible stuff' - TRACY BORMAN

Alice Loxton’s Uproar! Probably needs its subtitle - Satire, Scandal and Printmakers in Georgian London – to give the reader a clue what it’s about. Don’t let the Author’s Note at the beginning put you off. Its deliberately “down and dirty” tone – “We’ll pry into the most intimate moments of our ancestors’ lives – see them sneeze and yawn, hear them giggle and snort” does not reflect the deep scholarship that Loxton has put into this book. It’s far better than you might be led to expect from that introduction, even though a later footnote includes “Ten points to Gryffindor”. This was a fascinating and absorbing read! I’ve been an avid follower of Loxton’s for a while now and as a former student of media discourse analysis, I was extremely excited to see she was publishing a book on Georgian satire. I really do recommend this book. If, like me, you have initial reservations about the very modern prose style that mentions Rowlandson’s aunt giving him “dollops of TLC”, don’t worry. It actually works very well and does carry the narrative forward at pace. I began to enjoy the style and I emphatically enjoyed the book. There are enough footnotes to satisfy the most fastidious historian, drawing upon primary and secondary sources; a comprehensive bibliography; and lots of illustrations. The quality of the reproductions weren’t terribly good in the proof e-book I was sent, but that might be down to them being prints that are, after all, over 200 years old! Alice Loxton's analysis of Georgian England is razor sharp, witty and engaging. An appropriately "laugh out loud" history of the age of satire -- Helen Carr, author of THE RED PRINCEWithin a few years, James Gillray and Isaac Cruikshank would join him in Piccadilly, turning satire into an artform, taking on the British establishment, and forever changing the way we view power. It was also very interesting to learn about how publishers and print houses operated in this era as well as the process of designing, etching, printing and distributing each print. enterprise.” In this work, Steinke gives a concise overview of the core aspects of the theory as well Friday 31st March - In conversation with Dan Snow at the Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford Literary Festival

If “these are the times that test men’s souls,” never more than for the leader’s ability to think clearly, to be present calmly, and to challenge effectively. It’s a time when leaders cannot be as anxious as those they serve; otherwise, the system is leaderless. Anxiety flows down like water from a leaky pipe. To lead effectively we must understand the impact of powerful emotional forces on people’s behavior, especially in anxious times. Peter Steinke is a clear-eyed, skilled consultant whose insights have stood the test of time. Other A brilliant new history of Georgian Britain through the eyes of the artists who immortalised it, by one of the UK's most exciting young historians **For writing work I’m represented by Hardman and Swainson, and my publisher is Icon Books (UPROAR!) and Macmillan (for the next one!). My writing has featured in The Telegraph, The Times, The Spectator, Tatler, The Critic, Country Life Magazine and BBC Music Magazine.

Loxton does an excellent job of showing us the rivalry between the artists and the printmakers to depict the truly exciting political and court world of the late 1700s and early 1800s. CJ Fox, William Pitt and the Prince Regent were just a few of the much larger than life characters that the artists gleefully lampooned. Like today’s brilliant Matt of the Daily Telegraph, they responded overnight to news stories. Although I knew a bit about the political history of the time and about the artists, Loxton’s narrative really does put the two together in a highly readable way. Understanding the commercial aspects of the print world, with rival printmakers racing to be the first to issue prints commenting on current news stories; the scandals (and why they were scandals); and the political leanings of the various players, makes this book the best commentary upon those times that I’ve read. In March 2023, I published my debut non-fiction history book, UPROAR!, which tells the thrilling story of London’s satirists from the late Georgian period. I’m on a personal mission to improve heritage and history for young people. I have worked with the National Trust, as well as being asked to speak at 10 Downing Street, the Hay Festival, Oxford Literary Festival and many other places. I would always recommend purchasing from your local independent bookshop, but here are some alternatives:

Loxton writes with a terrific sense of time and place. She delivers Georgian Britain in a bold modern manner, with plenty of bounce -- Franny Moyle, author of DESPERATE ROMANTICS

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop