Giro Montaro MIPS Helmet, Unisex

Giro Montaro MIPS Helmet, Unisex

RRP: £87.94
Price: £43.97
£43.97 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The visor on the Montaro is a little longer than your standard helmet visor. This comes in use when you are descending in open areas, and the sun is low. It is also quite useful if you are hitting trails in dense bush and need the visor to protect your eyes.

Other than that issue, the Montaro is quite comfortable. The padding is low-profile and amazingly absorbent. I climbed up Bellingham’s Galbraith mountain trails on many 80-90 degree days this summer, and was very pleased with how well it kept the sweat off my face. After all those sweaty days, everyone near me can be glad that the padding is antimicrobial. The helmet also accommodates a variety of sunglasses and safety glasses quite comfortably (the latter of which I wear in the forest in spring for bugs’ sake, for those who may be curious). The arms of the glasses fit underneath the helmet’s front strap quite naturally in fact, and the helmet doesn’t put any undue pressure on them. The Montaro in action on prime dirt. Testers found the Montaro to be a relatively comfortable helmet. Again, it scored well in this metric but was bested by several other competitors. Its comfort starts with its fit, and Giro seems to know how to shape a helmet after all these years. It's offered in four sizes, Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large, to fit a huge range of head sizes. Assuming you get the correct size, the width and length seem pretty average and should please a huge range of head shapes. Cons: I cannot come up with a con for this helmet. It fits great, is lightweight, and very breathable. I had read somewhere that in cold conditions perhaps there is too much venting, but I have not found myself yet in this position.Both the Montaro and the Source are constructed using in-mold technology. What this means is the outer shell is molded to the EPS foam (Expanded Polystyrene) to increase the strength and durability of the helmet without increasing the weight. Firstly, it has a MIPS liner (Multi-directional Impact Protection System), which reduces the rotational energy transferred to the rider in an angled crash. Slip plane technology (such as MIPS) is considered essential in today’s market, and personally, I would never ride without it! In terms of safety features, the helmets are reasonably similar. They both have MIPS, EPS foam and the foam is wrapped in a polycarbonate shell. Inside the helmet, we see some similarities and some differences from the original Montaro. Pad placement remains the same, and the pads themselves are still the same Ionic+ antimicrobial pads used in the Montaro. The padding is still comfortable, absorbent, and non-smelly, even after long, high-output rides. No complaints there, from me or from my wife. The MIPS system remains in place too, and it’s just as confidence-inspiring as it was in the original. Not familiar with MIPS? In short, it’s a system designed to disburse rotational impact forces ( great article on it here), and it’s a key safety feature for a helmet like this. Mud on my face. Flashlight on my head. I’m ready for some extended hours in the dark.

Both visors are adjustable, but there is a difference. The Montaro visor moves in incremented steps. So, there are 3 set positions, while the Source doesn’t have incremented steps but has infinite positions. I prefer the Source visor as it allows you complete freedom around where the visor is placed, and it is much easier to adjust using one hand. I found adjusting the visor while riding with the Montaro not all that easy (although I suppose it could become easier as the incremented notches wear down a little). We were surprised to find that it felt as well ventilated as the Bell 4Forty MIPS which has larger vents. That said, it still didn't hold a candle to our most well-ventilated models like the 100% Altec or Giro Manifest, our most airy models. We were also more impressed by the ventilation on the Troy Lee A2 MIPS and the Smith Session. Features What is unbelievable about this helmet is that it is very reasonably priced. Found in the price range between Giro’s top two selling helmets, the Chronicle and the Montaro. This puts the Source in contention for the best value helmet on the market!For the casual cyclist, who doesn’t spend more than a few hours per week out on the bike, the Chronicle will more than suffice. All of the basic features are there, it is a very safe helmet, and you will not be unhappy with the choice! The Giro Montaro aims to do a lot with its various features, and it succeeds in most arenas. The Montaro’s safety and bonus features all pay off, but some aspects of its comfort could use workshopping. Ventilation could be improved for hot days, and the Roc Loc 5 Air system for head-height fit has shortcomings.

While the Montaro is technically better (it is a higher spec model after all), I prefer the fit and feel of the Giro Source. I don’t tend to ride with goggles or a camera/light, so the additional features are a bit unnecessary for me. However, these are super handy features if you do ride with goggles or a camera!Looking into why one helmet’s ladder adjustment slipped while the other didn’t, I found that my original Montaro had a small amount of excess foam preventing the ladder adjustment from fully seating. As a result, the adjustment was precarious and would slip (I’ve since updated that review with this finding). It’s another quality control miss, and I’m not confident that the Montaro MIPS II is immune, based on the design similarity and the issue I experienced with the top-mount.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop