Hungry Ghosts: A BBC 2 Between the Covers Book Club Pick

Hungry Ghosts: A BBC 2 Between the Covers Book Club Pick

RRP: £16.99
Price: £8.495
£8.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer wrote: "Given one of the judges comments at the coronation on the Riyal family I would hope the list starts getting a Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer wrote: "Given one of the judges comments at the coronation on the Riyal family I would hope the list starts getting a little more (ideally quite a lot more) diverse The first story he entered for the Commonwealth Short Story Prize in 2013, "The Monkey Trap", was featured in Pepperpot: Best New Stories from the Caribbean. [3] It has also been shortlisted for the Small Axe Literary Prize. [8] He wrote a poem titled "The Wait is So, So Long", which was turned into a short film that received a Gold Key at the New York-based Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. [6] Tarak let out a loud, pained grunt. Mikey raised the plank again. Was about to bring it down again when Krishna signalled to Tarak as a warning. During the first year of marriage, she had deconstructed her entire self with the revered language of dead writers. Patched herself with ideas and metaphors until she wasn’t sure where her former self dies and this new self was born. Her mind its own Ship of Theseus”

Something shifted in me that night. A small voice in my head said, maybe you can make a way for yourself as a poet here, too.’ Why do you think so many Trinidad-linked writers have been finding international success lately? Monique Roffey, Roger Robinson, Ingrid Persaud, Anthony Joseph …

Kevin Jared Hosein

Hungry Ghosts is an astonishing book—linguistically gorgeous, narratively propulsive, and psychologically profound." — Bernardine Evaristo, author of Girl, Woman, Other Tarak stood at the other end of the yard, two flour bags in hand. His feet also wrapped in flour bags, tied with twine above the ankles. It was Lata. Her trousers catching the morning breeze. A white shawl over her hair. A colander of unshelled peas in her grip. She laid a large jute bag over a wooden crate and sat on it. The ghost of Hema Saroop, an infant cremated by her mother, Shweta, after dying from a waterborne disease, leads a cast of immaterial characters. She is “a preta—a hungry ghost”, her spirit cursed with an insatiable appetite. She eats her mother so ferociously that Shweta never utters her daughter’s name again. But the baby still hungers for company, and brings other ghosts with her. Reading Paulette Jiles' revenge western Chenneville, it's easy to remember she's a poet. She plays ...

The sequel to It Ends With Us (2016) shows the aftermath of domestic violence through the eyes of a single mother. We’re trying to figure it out as well. For me, the internet has given me access that might not have been possible 10 years ago. I also think [Jamaican writer] Marlon James helped us [writers from the Caribbean] when he won the Booker prize and a lot of publishers were looking for a follow-up. Not long after that, Kei Miller sold Augustown for six figures. The Bocas literary festival also helped a lot; I think they started in 2012. Before that the literary scene in Trinidad was a wasteland. Hungry Ghosts opens with four boys doing a blood pact that will make them brothers for the rest of their lives. Do they know what this pact means? How will it impact their individual lives? That is exactly what we find out in this book. She pointed to her clean trousers. ‘No thanks. I have to wash my own clothes when they get dirty. Boys aint have to do that.’

Beyond the Book

Ron Rash is renowned for his writing about Appalachia, but his latest book, The Caretaker, begins ... There is a lot of strong themes happening in the book and generally that is hard for an author to explore each and do it justice but Hosein was able to do it expertly. We had coming-of-age, love, poverty, classism, religion and racism well explored- each leaving you with food for thought. I also loved how truly authentic the book felt- you were taken to the island of Trinidad and Tobago during the 1940s and you feel that through the writing and research done. This book takes on huge themes of masculinity, grief, forgiveness, domestic violence, class and social mobility. Yet, they are all expertly handled by Hossein and provide much food for thought. I would say that the richness of this novel was almost a little too much at times, giving me a slight sense of reader indigestion as I worked at trying to take everything in.

Highly recommended. A stunningly powerful first novel, and an early contender for the 2023 Booker Prize. Go!’ Tarak yelled and White Lady went running. Pounced on Mikey, threw him down. The plank in the pool. Don't troll. If your post is primarily to provoke, please think twice before posting, and then don't post it. If your post is secondarily to provoke, think twice, and then don't post it.Kevin Jared Hosein was born and raised in Trinidad and Tobago. He has published three books: The Beast of Kukuyo (2017 Burt Award for Caribbean Literature), The Repenters (Fiction shortlist, 2017 OCM Bocas Prize) and Littletown Secrets.

Krishna stood watching her, lost in thought until Tarak hit his shoulder. ‘Stop daydreamin. Let’s go.’ You attended an event with Trinidad-born Nobel winner V S Naipaul, who, when asked for a writing tip, said not to bother because most stories have been told. I said before that Hans and Shweta appeared to be a happy couple, but something happened before Krishna was born. Something that no one ever speaks about, so life-altering that you must read it for yourself to find out exactly what. (SORRY) Passage", his story that won him the prize in 2018, is written in Trinidadian Creole, and is about a forester's quest to find a family living away from society, in the mountains of Trinidad, all while going through a midlife crisis. Among many of the themes it discusses, nature and the exploitation of such by humans are recurring. [1] [3] The story contains many ecological details that are thanks to his biology and environmental science degree, and the time he has spent on trails in the forest. [3] A deftly written novel with evocative, lyrical prose, vivid characterisation and a heartbreaking plot.

by Kevin Jared Hosein

The biggest, most frightening, beautiful and alive novel I've read in as long as I can remember' EVIE WYLD

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop