The Librarian of Auschwitz: The heart-breaking Sunday Times bestseller based on the incredible true story of Dita Kraus

£4.995
FREE Shipping

The Librarian of Auschwitz: The heart-breaking Sunday Times bestseller based on the incredible true story of Dita Kraus

RRP: £9.99
Price: £4.995
£4.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Based on the experience of real-life Auschwitz prisoner Dita Kraus, this is the incredible story of a girl who risked her life to keep the magic of books alive during the Holocaust. Her blissful childhood ended abruptly before she turned ten. In March 1939 the Nazis invaded Prague and started restricting the lives of Jews. Within a month her lawyer father lost his job and the family were evicted by Germans, who demanded the flat for themselves.

Librarian of Auschwitz: The Graphic Novel Book Review The Librarian of Auschwitz: The Graphic Novel Book Review

He has belonged to the committee of the selection Bibliotecas de Barcelona and has been honoured President of the Association of Cultural Journalists of Catalonia. In Zaragoza, he has been the at the panel experts in the Asociación Miguel Fleta. Thank you to Tracy at Compulsive Readers Tours for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily. Como estive em Auswichtz há 2 semanas, ainda o livro me tocou mais porque consegui visualizar tudo o que era descrito. This is a haunting, heartbreaking, and unforgettable Holocaust story -- a powerful testament to the courage of a teen girl who risked her life to preserve eight forbidden books. Even teens who don't love reading or share Dita's passion for books are sure to be caught up in a gripping storyline that features secret meetings, a possible traitor, daring escapes, and even romance. While waiting for the quarantine to be lifted so they could return to Prague, Dita’s mother became ill on June 27 1945. She died two days later, leaving her daughter an orphan, a few weeks short of her sixteenth birthday.The Librarian of Auschwitz is a sobering account of one girl's survival at Auschwitz. I've read a number of books detailing the Nazi's most infamous death camp Auschwitz so was expecting the devastating descriptions of the appalling living conditions and inhumane treatment of the prisoners. What I wasn't expecting was the glimpse of hope and humanity the prisoners of building 31 managed to preserve. Dita is a curious, book-loving young girl who displays tremendous bravery in helping her family and other prisoners at the concentration camp. She lives one day at a time, focusing on the small acts of kindness she can perform. The narrative closely follows Dita Kraus, a 14 year old girl in the Auschwitz family camp and her experiences as the keeper and protector of eight forbidden books. I was interested that one of them was a history text by H.G. Wells, as I have been cataloguing a large collection of Wells’ writing during my work hours. I was also glad to see that they had several people that they designated as “living books” because they could tell certain stories (one woman could recount The Count of Monte Cristo). The concept of living books has recently been used at our city’s public library, so I was thrilled to see an example of the history of the practice. Did you know you can flag iffy content? Adjust limits for Drinking, Drugs & Smoking in your kid's entertainment guide. Get started Close

The Librarian of Auschwitz: A Holocaust Survivor Remembers

The main theme of the story is how books and reading are something to be cherished and our right to read is something to risk death over. Dita protected these books with her life, lovingly restoring them and handing them out to the teachers each day. Es difícil entender arriesgar la vida por unos cuantos libros, pero me quedo con la conclusión del escritor al final que dice así: If you are looking for a read that's raw, based on a true untold story, powerful, Heartbreakingly authentic, thought provoking and a unique book, that once read will truly stay with you for a lifetime, then you must read THE LIBRARIAN OF Auschwitz! This novel is one that could easily be recommended or taught alongside Elie Wiesel’s Night and The Diary of Anne Frank and a text that, once read, will never be forgotten. VERDICT A hauntingly authentic Holocaust retelling; a must for YA collections." — School Library Journal, starred review, on The Librarian of Auschwitz Wenn man ein Buch mit dem Titel "Die Bibliothekarin von Auschwitz" liest, dann ist natürlich schon klar, dass es ein tiefgreifendes und aufwühlendes Buch sein muss. Immerhin ist das Setting das Konzentrationslager Auschwitz-Birkenau im Jahr 1944.overall, not quite the execution i would have like from this, but still a really important story that i am grateful was told.

The Librarian of Auschwitz (Paperback) - Waterstones

Fourteen-year-old Dita is one of the many imprisoned by the Nazis at Auschwitz. Taken, along with her mother and father, from the Terezín ghetto in Prague, Dita is adjusting to the constant terror that is life in the camp. When Jewish leader Freddy Hirsch asks Dita to take charge of the eight precious books the prisoners have managed to smuggle past the guards, she agrees. And so Dita becomes the secret librarian of Auschwitz, responsible for the safekeeping of the small collection of titles, as well as the 'living books' - prisoners of Auschwitz who know certain books so well, they too can be 'borrowed' to educate the children in the camp. Who knew that a family unit existed at Birkeneau? For what purpose would such a unit exist??? In an environment in which people are being killed daily and survival rate is low, unit 31 provided at least a small portion of the prisoners with a moment to disconnect with their reality. Books - a contraband punishable by death - are used to teach the children in unit 31, to escape the harsh reality and feel a sense of normalcy. Dita, a 14-year-old girl, arrives at the family compound and is given the risky yet prestigious job as librarian at the secret school. The SS are unaware of the library's existence so everyday brings the risk of discovery; yet Dita would have it no other way. To her, books are a saviour and a reason to keep fighting and living. Dita and her family are in the concentration camp of Auschwitz. Where thousands of innocent lives are taken every day, horrific experiments are done on children, families are ripped apart, they are forced to live like cattle, fighting for beds with barely any food. It's horrific and really is quiet difficult to read. But it was a reality which makes it all the more raw and gut wrenching.The Librarian of Auschwitz is a very good book. This is labeled a YA book but I'd consider it an adult novel, because there is a lot of violence and mentions of very sexual things, even for a young adult novel. The reason I gave it four stars is because the book and overall message is positive and realistically portrays the Holocaust, and helps the reader to understand the atrocities committed during that time. However, know yourself and your limit on violence and sexual stuff because it's heavily talked about. There is also mention of a homosexual character, which might spark discussion among younger readers and examples of painful and traumatizing surgeries a Nazi doctor at Auschwitz performed on the prisoners.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop