A Master of Djinn: 1 (Dead Djinn Universe)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

It’s worse than that,” she said. “Their wish grants them long life. But it doesn’t say how. They could live out their whole lives with a terrible disease, unable to die. Same thing if an accident leaves them in unbearable pain. Their ‘gift’ could easily become a prison.” She didn’t get to finish as she spotted a man walking toward them. In that red kaftan, not with Supernatural Forensics. At second glance, not a man either—a boilerplate eunuch. By its lithe frame and sleek gait, one of the newer messenger models. I suppose I would have preferred the slower pace to continue, to allow breathing room for development of not just Fatma and Hadia’s partnership and friendship but also for a bit more of an exploration of the world and side stories and characters: Siwi and Zagros, and Ahmad’s transformation into crocodile god, and tenuous coexistence of Islam and “idolatry” (especially in the light of Fatma and Siri’s relationship), and the female thieves gang outside of a single scene. And give me more of Hadia besides “badass in hijab” with endless cousins.

Dead Djinn Universe Series by P. Djèlí Clark - Goodreads Dead Djinn Universe Series by P. Djèlí Clark - Goodreads

I bear a message for the recipient: Agent Fatma el-Sha’arawi. The sender is: Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments, and Supernatural Entities.” Gamal made a chiding sound. “Ah! Wallahi, you’re only smart with books! Think! If this is what I believe it is—what she believes it is—we could use it ourselves! Ask for money to rain from the skies! Or turn a whole pyramid to gold!” Magic Knight: Siti is skilled at combat with her claws, while she also has magic that makes her stronger and faster to enhance this.Usually the secrets we keep deep down, ain’t meant to hurt other people… Not saying they won’t but not through intentions. Those deep secrets, we hide away because we’re afraid what other people might think. How they might judge us, if they knew. And nobody’s judgment we scared of more than the one we give our hearts to.” Khalid grinned before his face turned serious. “You do know what you’ve done? What you’ve granted them?” Child by Rape: Siti says her mother was less than fifteen when her father, a djinn, seduced her, using his magic for this and impregnating her. Ahmad has a habit of stalking out of the shadows whenever he wants to hold a conversation with Agent Fatma, not realizing his crocodilian features make his appearance more of a Jump Scare than a Stealth Hi/Bye. When he apologizes, he asks if he's being creepy and always gets an affirmative.

Master List of Djinn | Golden Sun Universe | Fandom Master List of Djinn | Golden Sun Universe | Fandom

Like most, they’d probably wagered on her opponent, who sat across the octagonal table. All of seventeen, she guessed, with a face even more boyish than her own. But he had already men twice his age. More important, he was a he, which still held weight even in Cairo’s flaunted modernity—which explained the smile on his dark lips.Only the Pure of Heart: The Ring of Sulayman only reveals its true form to someone who has pure motives. When he reached Lord Worthington, the old man wasn’t alone. Edward Pennington was there, one of the most senior men in the company and a true believer, though half-senile. He sat between two others, nodding his wizened head as both spoke into his ears. A delightful whodunnit full of sly commentary and a wonderfully lived-in steampunk Cairo. The perfect read when I needed a break from this world to enjoy one wholly made from Clark's enviable imagination.” - Hugo and Nebula Award-winning Rebecca Roanhorse, author of Trail of Lightning and Star Wars: Resistance Reborn

The best recent science fiction, horror and fantasy – review

Our protagonist Fatma el-Sha’arawi, “special investigator with the Egyptian Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments, and Supernatural Entities”is an already legendary badass despite only being in her mid-20s, who’s known for eschewing Ministry uniforms in favor of European-style men’s suits (and a bit too fixated on her looks in those suits, really). Her being on the force is the sign of tolerance and progress in this new Cairo — but there’s still room for improvement. Alongside her Ministry colleagues and her clever girlfriend Siti, Agent Fatma must unravel the mystery behind this imposter to restore peace to the city – or face the possibility he could be exactly who he seems… When I first wrote that story, I had no idea it would even be published. For one, it was way over budget. What was supposed to be a short had pushed into novelette territory. Most short story markets at the time didn’t take stories past 6 or 7k. The few that did, had a 10k cutoff. And your story had better be damned good to deserve that much print: online or otherwise. What I had was pushing into 12k. And there was just no way it could be cut down and remain coherent. So I was about to assign it to the abyss of my hard drive, where many of its kin even now lay in slumber. But decided on a whim to roll the dice and put out a call on the interwebs.It’s old,” Saeed noted, fingers tracing the engravings. “I’m thinking maybe from the Abbasids. That’s at least a thousand years.” reddorakeen on Beyond The Exorcist: Five Movies That Explore Possession From Non-Christian Perspectives 5 hours ago They reached the dance floor just as the blare of a horn started. Siti spun as Fatma stepped forward, catching her waist and drawing her close, finding each other’s rhythm. The two shared knowing smiles, letting their movements do the talking. As far as Fatma was concerned, if this wasn’t magic, nothing was.”

A Master of Djinn (Literature) - TV Tropes A Master of Djinn (Literature) - TV Tropes

Masculine–Feminine Gay Couple: Fatma likes to wear really nice Western men's suits with a bowler hat and cane, eschewing traditional women's clothing of Egypt, including hijab, while having a job too that's conventionally male as a detective. On the other hand, her lover Siti is more feminine, though she does have short hair, wearing beautiful, elegant and expensive dresses with a casually graceful air. Magic Fire: Agent Fatma is familiar with all kinds of magical fire, but she is initially stumped by a murder scene at the Worthington Mansion where the victims burned alive but their clothes were untouched. It turns out to be the fire of an ifrit. So when someone murders a secret brotherhood dedicated to one of the most famous men in history, al-Jahiz, Agent Fatma is called onto the case. Al-Jahiz transformed the world 50 years ago when he opened up the veil between the magical and mundane realms, before vanishing into the unknown. This murderer claims to be al-Jahiz, returned to condemn the modern age for its social oppressions. His dangerous magical abilities instigate unrest in the streets of Cairo that threaten to spill over onto the global stage.

Read A Master of Djinn by P. Djèlí Clark

Alongside her Ministry colleagues and a familiar person from her past, Agent Fatma must unravel the mystery behind this imposter to restore peace to the city—or face the possibility he could be exactly who he seems… I know this must be a difficult time for you. Your sister is an evil maniac bent on world conquest. She killed your father, which is just terrible. Plus, I don’t think this house has much resale value." Beneath Notice: At first, no one suspects Abigail is the lead imposter, because Al-Jahiz was male and they portrayed him as such in his “return”, but also she's a seemingly harmless woman. Hardly fair. But fair usually accounted for little in dealings with immortals. Her mind worked to find a solution. This Marid had lived countless lifetimes and was very good at this. But she was a Ministry agent. That meant protecting people from the world of the supernatural and the magical—even when they ran stupidly headlong into it.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop