My War Gone By, I Miss IT So

My War Gone By, I Miss IT So

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Sarajevo, inverno 1992-1993: il giornalista olandese Robert Dulmers presso la tomba di Hakija Turajlić nella moschea Ali Pasha. Parlando la lingua, iniziata a studiare prima di lasciare Londra, vivendo il più possibile con e in mezzo ai locali, invece di rinchiudersi nelle enclave giornalistiche. Photographer Anthony Lloyd captures this perplexing obsession in the brilliant My War Gone By, I Miss It So.

Like all stories about becoming a war correspondent, without the backup of any organization, this one has adventure details to spare. Anthony’s memoir was love at first page – a portrait of war like I’d never read before,” O’Connor says. I was struck by Anthony’s work and words, experiences, and for me his is an important voice and an important book. The sometimes verbose passages are justified in light of the fact that nearly every other war book is underwritten and under analyzed. The wounded correspondent asked Loyd to fill in until the paper could send a replacement, Loyd agreed and so started his first job as a journalist.You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice. by turns looking at the convexity of war in Bosnia and the concavity of the war going on inside the author, as he wrestles with questions as mundane as addiction and as exalted as theology.

It is a breathtaking feat of reportage; an uncompromising look at the terrifyingly seductive power of war. His company, Brass Check, has advised companies such as Google, TASER, and Complex, as well as Grammy Award winning musicians and some of the biggest authors in the world. a stench of blood, excrement, mortar-fire, slivovitz and human bestiality emanates from these pages' Ben Shephard, Literary Review | 'Battlefield reportage does not get more up close, gruesome, and personal . While covering a fire fight a French correspondent who was writing for The Daily Telegraph was wounded by a claymore mine set off by the Croat HVO forces.

Loyd's strongest writing is in his descriptions of carnage--of the sound and smell of shellfire; of the sexual release of blasting away with an automatic machine gun . Finance is provided by PayPal Credit (a trading name of PayPal UK Ltd, Whittaker House, Whittaker Avenue, Richmond-Upon-Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom, TW9 1EH). If you were of combat age, meaning only that you possessed the strength to fight, kill and possibly survive, then you were conscripted into whichever army represented your denomination, Muslim, Serb or Croat. A former infantry officer, he left the British army after the First Gulf War and went to live in Bosnia. Loyd’s rebellious irritation and visceral response to the atrocities around him give uncommon immediacy to this thoughtful, unpretentious memoir of the war in Bosnia.

For those who have experienced war first hand, it is an intimate and personal endeavor often difficult to explain to their loved ones. On the autobiographical front, he attributes his immersion in war to his hostile relationship with his intimidating father, and to his family's complex web of national and ethnic origins (Austrian, English, Belgian, Egyptian, Jewish). He finally achieves a redemption of sorts, and in the process has written one of the most uncompromising and personally honest accounts of the ugliness of war that puts to shame complacent apathy.Anthony Loyd’s My War Gone By, I Miss It So is part autobiography and part war correspondent memoir. The horror of this beautifully written book (hard to describe such a book thusly given the content) is that Loyd found the war somehow appealing, a high close to that of his former heroin addiction.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop