ABBA Greatest Hits LP

ABBA Greatest Hits LP

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

That's a trick ending most of the time with a lifeless flat record much worse than the original digitally re-mastered CD-version. The album was the best-selling album of 1976 in the UK, and the country's second-best selling album of the decade. Other acts, including both Agnetha and Frida as solo performers, made Swedish-language versions of other ABBA songs; only "So Long" had not been a hit on the Svensktoppen chart, though "So Long" had been a hit on the Danish equivalent Dansktoppen.

To counteract the possibility of import sales from these records in Scandinavia, ABBA's record label Polar Music rush-released their own version of Greatest Hits.The group's first two singles, " People Need Love" and " He Is Your Brother", were hits on this Tio i Topp chart. Despite the the heavy vinyl quality and quite replay experience, this remaster sounds flat and lifeless.

It was also used on the US CD reissue by Atlantic Records in the 1980s, but without the track listing on the front.Waterloo", " SOS", " Mamma Mia" and (later) " Fernando" were top 10 hits in the UK and several other countries, though only the first of these was a top 10 hit in the US. It was originally released in Scandinavia on 17 November 1975 [4] and in other parts of the world in 1976, notably the UK on 10 April, and on 18 September in the US and Canada. However, it had no competition in the UK and in North America, and the UK version of the album was released in April 1976. The British/American version of the album sleeve appears in the popular 2015 science-fiction film The Martian, when the husband of the disco-loving ship commander Melissa Lewis reveals on a video link that he has found an original vinyl copy of the album.

The original 1975 Scandinavian releases do not feature "Fernando" – the album was reissued in 1976 in Norway and Denmark with the addition of "Fernando" as the first track on side one. In all, ABBA had nine songs in this chart, and the six that went as high as number three are included on the album.Other hits in multiple territories included " I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do" (a top 10 hit in several countries, a number one in Australia, and a top 20 hit in the US, though barely cracking the top 40 in the UK), " Honey, Honey" (a top 20 hit in several countries and a top 30 hit in the US), " Hasta Mañana" (a top 10 hit in South Africa and New Zealand and a top 20 hit in Australia), and " So Long" (a top 20 hit in Germany and a top 10 hit in Sweden and Denmark). Nina, Pretty Ballerina" was an A side in only a few territories, reaching number 8 in Austria, " Another Town, Another Train" was a B side in most territories, but reached number 18 in Rhodesia. ABBA had three number ones in this chart ("Ring Ring", "Waterloo", "Honey Honey") and a number 6 ("Åh, Vilka Tider"). This vinyl album may be fine for those who never heard these ABBA hits printed on true vinyl or even officially released brand audio cassettes. The artwork was also used on the European-wide "30th Anniversary Edition" CD reissue, in a miniature replica gatefold album sleeve.

The album was released in response to similar ABBA compilation albums being issued at the time by record labels in other countries who had licensed ABBA's music for release in their own territories, and the threat of import sales of those compilations impacting upon ABBA's home market. The reason I don't give this album a 9 is because of the film Mamma Mia, even though it bought the band more fame than they already had, it also makes it so that when you play a song by ABBA, it is more often than not someone will say "oh, thats the song from Mamma Mia" and won't actually know the band. The release of Greatest Hits coincided with the start of ABBA's huge popularity in the UK during the latter half of the 1970s, becoming the first of eight consecutive number-one albums for the group. It spent eleven non-consecutive weeks at the top of the UK Albums Chart and went on to become the best-selling album of 1976 [8] and the second best-selling album of the 1970s.

Other than this, this album's music evokes a sense of nostalgia for many people as a lot of people's parent's listened to it or you may remember it from your childhood.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop