Forever Boy: A Mother's Memoir of Autism and Finding Joy

Forever Boy: A Mother's Memoir of Autism and Finding Joy

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

There are some wonderful pearls of wisdom that Kate imparts that have both reassured me that I’m doing ok, and encouraged me to look at different approaches to what I’m currently doing. Beginning with a normal pregnancy and describing the birth of little Cooper, Kate Swenson gives detailed insight into her path into the unknown. um, anyone can read this book and have a better understanding of what autism can be like for parents, siblings, and families. Coop’s Troops is an intimate paid group on Facebook, where moms, dads, professionals, caretakers, etc.

Given how closely relatable I am to Kate’s story, I found this to be very difficult to rate and review. As you read, I hope you find yourself nodding along, finally feeling understood in something that can feel so isolating. Although the world of special education has come so far, it amazes me how much it has stayed the same.

I wanted to believe if I just kept going, and kept doing more for Cooper, that one day, he would get better. I have the husband with the nerves and patience of a saint while I am spiraling out of control, trying my hardest to just hang on and make it through each day. I'm a former special education teacher, and I believe this would be a beneficial read for anyone, but especially for teachers, speech pathologists, etc (those who work with children with autism). Before I even finished the book I recommended it to everyone I work with for the pure fact that is the story that everyone needs to know.

I hope this book finds you if you are in that dark place because I truly believe it will help to shine a light. Finding Cooper’s Voice is a safe, humorous, caring and honest place where you can celebrate the unique challenges of parenting a special needs child. I think most parents who walk out of a paediatrician's office after their child has been diagnosed autistic soon find themselves with a wobbly stack of non-fiction books by the side of the bed, or on the floor.

I ended up reading much of the book aloud to my husband through tears (just to be clear, Harry Potter can make me cry these days! Today it is a living, thriving community of people who want to not only advocate for autism, but also make the world a better place for individuals with disabilities and their families. Her Facebook page was recommended to me a few months after my son’s diagnosis and I couldn’t even hazard a guess at how many times I’ve cried reading her posts. There are behaviors, anxieties, and aggressions, really tough moments when I feel like a complete failure, and some really fun moments of pride and joy.

Jamie and I were to be married in the Lutheran faith and had to give up our precious weekend free time to attend a weekend of pre-marital counseling sessions.If you enjoy reading, you like biographies, you are a parent or grandparent; or if you have had the Plan A of your life disrupted by circumstances beyond your control and you are struggling with accepting Plan B and while grieving for Plan A; or if you have a special needs child or you know someone who does…. Saying he was teething or not feeling well, because I truly didn’t know why it was also hard for him. Kate is a mum who loves her children above all else and wants to do the best for them, and I think that definitely shines through in this book. I would recommend this book not only to those with autistic children but anyone really, to learn about what we go through as parents and more importantly what our children go through and to help spread more acceptance and understanding in the world.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop