When Footballers Were Skint: A Journey in Search of the Soul of Football

When Footballers Were Skint: A Journey in Search of the Soul of Football

RRP: £9.99
Price: £4.995
£4.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Arguably one of the finest talents to have ever come out of the British Isles, Paul Gascoigne was a unique footballer. The author of this article, Paul Grech, has written two volumes of Il Re Calcio, quick read e-books that feature stories from the history of Italian football. I really enjoyed hearing the stories of players I grew up with both in terms of watching them play and being told about the by my Gangan who born in 1890’s had seen such players over his life time.

When Footballers Were Skint - Google Books When Footballers Were Skint - Google Books

Born in Dudley, Worcestershire, Edwards appeared on the radar of leading clubs while still in his early teens. Of the two other people in the room with him, I suspect he would pick a scrap with me if he wanted the easier victory. Players and fans would even sometimes be next-door neighbours in a street of working class terraced houses. Since then he has written on football for The Observer and Guardian and his biography of Stanley Matthews was shortlisted for Football Book of the Year in 2013. He played for more than two decades and also pulled on the jersey for Aston Villa, West Ham United and Manchester City.Edwards’s grave in Dudley remains a place of pilgrimage and he is depicted in a stained-glass window in a local church. It took place during the 1957 Charity Shield match at Old Trafford between Manchester United and Aston Villa – won 4-0 by United – and disposes of the idea that Edwards was without a single rough edge. Several of the old-timers I talk to while writing When Footballers Were Skint refer to robust tackling as clogging, an uncomplicated term for what was accepted as being all part of the game. The taxi driver wonders why anyone would want to travel from London to Newark-on-Trent on a mission to visit New Balderton.

15 Footballers Who Went From Riches to Rags - TheSportster Top 15 Footballers Who Went From Riches to Rags - TheSportster

After some time in the footballing wilderness, Djemba-Djemba ended up this year at lowly Scottish side St.Edwards bestrode the football field, a six-foot-three athlete with strength and stamina, who dribbled with the deftness of a much smaller man, hit long, precise passes and shot with meaning with either foot. Maybe he was right, too, in implying that there could be nothing or no one of interest in surroundings of such overbearing conformity.

When Footballers Were Skint by Jon Henderson | Waterstones

Walter Winterbottom, the manager who made Edwards England’s youngest international for more than 70 years when he picked him in 1955 aged 18 years 183 days, was banking on Edwards: ‘It was in the character and spirit of Duncan Edwards that I saw the true revival of British football. Interviewing 23 now-elderly former players whose careers fell into this period, Henderson uses their memories to paint a vivid picture of the hopes and aspirations, trials and tribulations of young men who earned only a few pounds more on the pitch than their fathers had down the pit.Well, she paid a million dollars to insure her legs and they were great legs and my missus had legs that were as good as Betty Grable’s. Having spent millions on luxury cars as well as lavish mansions, he was declared bankrupt in 2012 after a series of escalating debts including repossession of his properties. This featured the Glasgow Rangers and Tottenham Hotspur, whilst he also played in Serie A for Roman giants Lazio. The Manchester City defender Bill Leivers, in completing a story about tangling with Bolton’s Nat Lofthouse, quotes the unwritten etiquette of how a player used to react to a heavy tackle, particularly a retaliatory one: ‘You got up and grinned about it, you didn’t roll about on the ground for ten minutes.

Football Books of the Year 2018 - Footy Analyst Best Football Books of the Year 2018 - Footy Analyst

The Welsh international could have talked about the remarkable overhead kick that had given his club the lead. Ken Bensinger’s Red Card investigates the greed and arrogance at the heart of Fifa, the game’s governing body, and the deals that were done in awarding the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 World Cup to Qatar. However, years of gambling and alcohol issues took its toll on Sansom and he became homeless for a short period of time.Quite how the information was obtained or whether anyone other than John was involved is never revealed, but the information kept on coming and no one has ever disputed that it is genuine. So if the coalmine owners had one or two rough tough guys my dad used to sort them out generally with that [he holds up his right fist], although I think he were a southpaw, actually. In his tributes to Edwards, Bobby Charlton, Edwards’s Manchester United teammate, has said: ‘If you asked such players as Stanley Matthews and Tom Finney about Duncan their answers were always the same: they had seen nothing like him. Long before perma-tanned football agents and TV mega-rights ushered in the age of the multimillionaire player, footballers wages were capped even the game's biggest names earned barely more than a plumber or electrician.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop