Drift: Winner of the Wales Book of the Year

Drift: Winner of the Wales Book of the Year

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Moving between the wild Welsh coast and war-torn Syria, 'Drift' is a love story with a difference, a hypnotic tale of lost identity, the quest for home and the wondrous resilience of the human spirit.

A tender, unusual and gorgeously wrought love story t hat weaves the magic of folk lore, the wonder of the sea, and the depths of human cruelty. She was raised in Aberaeron before moving at the age of twelve to her family's farm in the parish of Dihewy A tender, unusual and gorgeously wrought love story’ RACHEL JOYCE Purchase this product now and earn 37 Points! She is a young woman who has inexplicable powers, such as being able to generate a storm at will, or dive to any depth of sea-water, as she does when rescuing .It is a stunning piece of fiction, that swells with a magical lyricism and captures with sheer luminosity its characters, story and sense of place.

We are pleased that, year-on-year, Wales Book of the Year demonstrates the wealth of literary talent in and from Wales. She is a visiting lecturer in Creative Writing at Cardiff University, and lives with her family on a farm near Aberystwyth. There’s a really damaging view of Welsh language-speaking Wales as insular and inward-looking, and of course that’s not true.The film adaptation – with a screenplay by Caryl herself – went on to win six Welsh BAFTAs and the Spirit of the Festival Award at the 2010 Celtic Media Festival. The elements of magical realism may not be to everyone’s taste, but the strength of Lewis’s writing means that she carries them off with panache. A definite 5⭐️ read, which I’ll be recommending to anyone who’ll listen 😂 it would make a great book club pick because I’m just bursting to talk about it! This storyline is delineated in remarkably few strokes, the pain of dementia a sad echo of an earlier pain in the marriage, namely infertility, where “their failure had turned to sadness, and sadness to silence”.

She'll do anything to protect him, including using her mysterious relationship with the sea to keep him safe. I've given it an extra star because Lewis' writing style is very good, but I found the character and plot development to be mediocre. In expert strokes, Lewis conjures a pallid and monochrome world where rain needles and waves crash – the sea seizing “the foolish, the reckless and the unlucky”. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice.It is sooo beautifully written, atmospheric, powerful, magical, tender, dark and heartbreaking; exploring love, loss and sacrifice 😭 One of those books that when you’ve finished, you just sit in awe for a while. Billed as a revelatory bike ride through Europe and the Middle East, Lowe’s adventure from London to Tehran is not a typical tale of endurance. I read the book in one sitting and found the descriptions of the sea and the book's setting stunning. Hamza detailing the rituals of his religion and joys of a full life created prior to war; Nefyn speaking to Hamza in Welsh, revealing the secrets of her mother who escaped into the waves.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop