Bitter Orange

Bitter Orange

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

From Fran’s ‘confession’ to the vicar and her recollections of the conversations she had with Cara from twenty years ago, one learns regrettably the secrets that shape the trio’s destiny. Miss Jellico, our unworldly main protag, is one of life's bystanders when it comes to hugging, kissing and general frivolity.

Bitter Orange - Penguin Books UK

She also has a talent for the sinister; Cara’s account of her childhood and adolescence in Ireland – her love of Italy is more than anything an expression of her desire to escape – fits hand in glove with Frances’s own experience of having her intellectual, social and sexual potential shut down. Any "Author Information" displayed below reflects the author's biography at the time this particular book was published. Laurie finally begins to move on, creating a mostly satisfying life for herself, whereas Jack’s inability to be genuine tortures him and turns him into an ever bigger jerk. Enquanto umas cresciam convencidas que as escolhas da vida já estavam predestinadas, outras rebelam-se. in the creepiest of places, a decaying English country manor that has sat empty since World War II, during which the Army requisitioned it.As she attempts to form friendships and assimilate in Britain, she reflects on the relationships that have been central to her life. There’s serious tension between Peter and Cara, and due to her limited social life, Frances is often unsure how to navigate these quarrels. Um conselho: não leiam a sinopse, pois conta o fim do livro, onde se percebe a razão de a personagem principal reagir como reage. And it’s not just the grand guignol that Fuller gets right, but the tiny details: a piece of Hattie Carnegie jewellery, the leaking downpipe staining the pediment, the dwindling congregations at Sunday services. Isolated in an alien tongue, or as she awkwardly expresses it, “bound to a wheelchair that was language’s incapacity to fully express me”, she fears turning into her mother, whose postnatal depression was never dispelled.

Claire Fuller - Wikipedia Claire Fuller - Wikipedia

The stories that Cara tells don’t quite add up, and as Frances becomes increasingly entangled in the lives of the glamorous, hedonistic couple, the boundaries between truth and lies, right and wrong, begin to blur. When Frances arrives at Lyntons, there are two other people already there: Peter, who has been commissioned to assess the condition and value of the building and its assets, and his wife, Clara. I lowered myself to the concrete – it is never easy for a large woman to sit on the floor, especially one wearing a girdle. From the attic of Lyntons, a dilapidated English country mansion, Frances Jellico sees them—Cara first: dark and beautiful, then Peter: striking and serious. BookBrowse seeks out and recommends the best in contemporary fiction and nonfiction—books that not only engage and entertain but also deepen our understanding of ourselves and the world around us.It would be much too egotistical of me to think I understood everything about this book - (I’ve been trying: ha, you can laugh now). There he tells Peggy the rest of the world has disappeared – her life is reduced to a piano which makes music but no sound, a forest where all that grows is a means of survival and a tiny wooden hut that is Everything. This literary fiction is filled with symbolism in which I’ve been waffling between writing a traditional type review about the plot and characters, or the process I’ve been going through or a little of both. This is tender and true, and impossible, in its picture of the old hells of young boys, the lonesomeness and tentative attempts to be mature and secure, the awful block between youth and being grown-up, the fright and sickness that humans and their behavior cause the challenging, the dramatization of the big bang.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop