From A Distance: The Very Best Of Nanci Griffith

From A Distance: The Very Best Of Nanci Griffith

RRP: £17.73
Price: £8.865
£8.865 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

From that point on, Griffith named every band she fronted, big or small, the Blue Moon Orchestra. The clear desire, I assume, was to honor and recall that album's familial spirit. The core of the band stayed with her for the long haul." in: "Music Remembrance: Singer-songwriter Nanci Griffith (1953-2021)", by Daniel Gewertz, artsfuse.org, September 14, 2021 She recorded four more albums, the last of them being Intersection, recorded at her Nashville home with Pete and Maura Kennedy and the percussionist Pat McInerney. Two of its songs Come On Up Mississippi and Bethlehem Steel reflected some of Griffith’s social and political concerns. In 1993 she moved to the Elektra label where she would enjoy her highest profile successes. Other Voices, Other Rooms (1993) borrowed its title from Truman Capote’s first novel and was a collection of songs by writers who had inspired her, including Guthrie, Van Zandt, Bob Dylan, Janis Ian and John Prine, and featured guest appearances by Dylan, Prine, Hester, Emmylou Harris and Iris DeMent.

As for me, I only write when I feel I have something I MUST say. Then, I try to say it in as universal but personal a way as I possibly can. I always try to take the scenic route musically and lyrically. The job of a song is to take a person on a musical journey for 3 minutes. In those 3 minutes you can transport your listener to a better, higher place. When they return to their starting point, hopefully they'll be changed forever for the better. Remembering Nanci Griffith, the greatest Austin-raised singer-songwriter ever, statesman.com, Aug 27, 2021 Stay with Me" ( Darkchild version) – James Napier, William Phillips& Sam Smith (songwriters) (2014) Billboard Top 100 – 1991". Archived from the original on July 7, 2009 . Retrieved September 15, 2009. Nanci recorded “From a Distance” on her first album for MCA. I remember sitting at The Bottom Line the first time I saw her perform it live and observing her audience sing along. That’s when I realized that my life would never be the same.

I first heard this song in '94. For every stanza/verse has a unique inspirational message for mankind that is worthy to initiate peace. From a Distance (UK CD single liner notes). Bette Midler. Atlantic Records. 1990. A7820CD, 7567-78611-2. {{ cite AV media notes}}: CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) ( link)

Andrew from NigeriaThe song is filed with inspirational words of hope, encouraging believers never to loss hope on God, and no matter the situation we find ourself, God is watching on us and He will never allow war and fighting take over us. Sweeting, Adam (August 16, 2021). "Nanci Griffith's Irish hit, cancer history and 'really dysfunctional' family". The Irish Times . Retrieved July 9, 2022. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1996 and thyroid cancer in 1998. Nanci Griffith recorded it first in her 1987 album Lone Star State of Mind. Nanci Griffith stated that a songwriter Julie Gold sent her the song in 1986, asking Griffith what was wrong with it, as Gold had sent it to many artists and record companies but none wanted to record it. Griffith answered that she loved it so much the moment she heard it and that she wanted to hear it performed personally by Gold. This established a relationship between the two with Griffith being the first to record "From a Distance" in her Lone Star State of Mind album. Breihan, Tom (September 22, 2023). "Stream The New Nanci Griffith Tribute Album Feat. Steve Earle, Billy Strings, Iris DeMent, & More". Stereogum . Retrieved September 23, 2023. She learned to play the guitar by watching a PBS TV series hosted by Laura Weber and started to write her own songs. Her first performance was at the Red Lion club in Austin, when she was 12. She listed the songwriter Odetta as one of her key influences, and defined herself by saying: “You take a whole lot of Woody Guthrie and a whole lot of Loretta Lynn, swoosh it around and it comes out as Nanci Griffith.”

Tracklist

Not Ready to Make Nice" – Emily Burns Erwin, Martha Maguire, Natalie Maines Pasdar& Dan Wilson (songwriters) (2006)

Griffith's high school boyfriend, John, died in a motorcycle accident after taking her to the senior prom, and subsequently inspired many of her songs. [5] She was married to singer-songwriter Eric Taylor from 1976 to 1982. In the early 1990s, she was engaged to singer-songwriter Tom Kimmel. [28] Death [ edit ] Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing. Powerfully Poetic Folk and Country Songwriter Nanci Griffith Has Died at Age 68, austinchronicle.com, Aug. 13, 2021 In 1978, at the age of 22, I came to New York in pursuit of my dream of being a songwriter. And while dreams are essential, they don’t pay the rent. For years, I worked various temp jobs while gigging at night and sending songs out whenever possible. I demonstrated vacuum cleaners, Mr. Coffees and toaster ovens. I worked the flea markets, as a proofreader, for a dentist and at a venetian blinds factory. In 2008, the Americana Music Association gave her a Lifetime Americana Trailblazer Award." in: Nanci Griffith, Singer Who Blended Folk and Country, Dies at 68, nytimes.com, Aug 13, 2021In 1994, Griffith teamed up with Jimmy Webb to contribute the song "If These Old Walls Could Speak" to the AIDS benefit album Red Hot + Country produced by the Red Hot Organization. Griffith was a survivor of breast cancer which was diagnosed in 1996, and thyroid cancer in 1998. [11] [12] Midler re-recorded a Christmas edition for her 2006 Christmas album, Cool Yule, with additional lyrics by Los Angeles native Jay Landers. Additional recordings of the original have been performed by Gold, Griffith, Simon Nicol (of Fairport Convention) and many others. I love all my songs, and though I have no children, I would imagine that the writing process is similar to the birthing process. Long, painful, rewarding. I guess if you have several children you're able to know or predict who will be the 'brainy' one, who's the 'sensitive' one, who will make a difference in the world, etc. I love my songs because I remember their births. I hope they all have meaningful lives. I realize that some might go further than others. With 'From A Distance,' it's like I gave birth to a Nobel Prize winner or something. I reeled in a whale. I still don't believe it and feel I was just chosen as the designated messenger. I hope and pray I've been a worthy steward." Dansby, Andrew (August 13, 2021). "Texas legend and Grammy-winning folk singer-songwriter Nanci Griffith dies". Houston Chronicle . Retrieved December 30, 2022. Noble, Richard E. (2009). Number No. 1: the story of the original Highwaymen. Denver: Outskirts Press. pp.265–267. ISBN 9781432738099. OCLC 426388468.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop