The Gift

The Gift

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I was over the moon when I got a copy of cecelia book as I'm huge fan of hers. I just love how she really has thought outside the box with the story well she dose with all books but this one blow me away . She really knows how to make you feel so much emotion with this story . This short novel follows the story of Lou, who in a charitable mood gives a job to a mysterious, observant homeless man named Gabe. Not entirely selfless- the job was given in an attempt to make the mailroom a little more efficient- but Lou begins to dislike Gabe and sees him as a possible competitor at his office and all the while Gabe is attempting to subtly guide him towards a path of being a better man. Cecelia Ahern gives birth to baby girl". BBC World News. The BBC. 14 December 2009 . Retrieved 28 June 2014. Lou is a complete ass who puts everything before his family. Early in the story he meets homeless Gabe, who turns out to be his saviour or nemesis, depending on which way you look at it. We soon get the idea about Lou's misplaced priorities, but it doesn't stop Ahern labouring the point... and then some. The whole thing about the party for Lou's father was ridiculous and a bit much to swallow. Her books are wonderful. They deal with serious issues and serious problems. Real-life, every day shit. She also throws in a little bit of magic and intrigue. Her books have this creepy, eerie effect that I love. And most importantly they are not stupidly and hopelessly romantic in any way. *Insert cheers and applause here*

Ahern is a wonderfully gifted writer with a writing style that is easy and enjoyable to follow through her magical tales. I found myself submerged in her story telling straight from the opening chapter. During the beginning of the book, she describes the warmth and calmness of Christmas with beautiful imagery, and manages to get you to feel that warmth inside as you read along. Although this book is set at Christmas time, it’s not exactly Christmas themed, though that didn’t stop me feeling the Christmas spirit as I read the first three paragraphs. I suppose on the flip side it's about the power of endless love forgiveness and for Lou, harsh self discovery which was almost but not quite, too late.This was my first title by Cecilia Aherne and I was thoroughly engrossed in the story and am now keen to discover more of her writing. The book's opening is not particularly gripping, especially if compared to Cecelia's previous books which have much stronger first chapters in them. The novel features a story within a story, and starts with a fourteen-year-old boy throwing a turkey through his fathers living room window on Christmas morning as he watches him enjoy the day with his new family. He is then taken to a police station where the officer there tells him Lou's story, in a bid to teach him a lesson. On his way into work one early winter morning, Lou meets Gabe, a homeless man sitting outside the office building. Intrigued by him and on discovering that he could also be very useful to have around, Lou gets Gabe a job in the post room. This isn't a light read, rather one that makes you sit and reflect upon it as you go through it. Alice develops the ability to see people's emotions as auras and how this interacts between different people. She struggles with her mother, who is later diagnosed as bipolar, and younger brother, but is supported by her older brother. The story follows Alice through her life and the detrimental effect that her ability has on her interactions with others. Cecelia Ahern Opts For Unusual Name As She Welcomes Third Child". 7 October 2019 . Retrieved 1 October 2023.

One thing of great importance can affect a small number of people. Equally so, a thing of little importance can affect a multitude. Either way, a happening big or small can affect an entire string of people.”

Need Help?

The story is centered around Lou Suffern, a workaholic who never spends quality time with his family, and whose multi-tasking leaves much to be desired. Immediately, the reader understands that Lou is not a warm person, and I personally took an instant dislike to him. It was December 2007, I’d just attended the LA premier for the PS I Love You movie and had moved on to NY to promote the film and the re-released book. NY was covered in Christmas decorations, a fast busy noisy city that’s always vibrant and alive, and so the location and the timing inspired the time of year, the setting and the rhythm of The Gift. I was also working on Samantha Who? and was preparing to publish Thanks for the Memories. I was also preparing to work on a one-woman theatre show called Mrs Whippy and there were other shows I was developing at the same time. Despite the excitement and the huge joy all of these projects were bringing me, it was impossible not to feel pulled in so many different directions. I was living off schedules and deadlines, which is the norm for me, but there were many schedules for different projects at the same time and I was really feeling it. I also felt that the rhythm in Ireland was particularly intense, that a certain population was living life to the max, moving at a crazy pace. Without wanting to sound weird, I’m sensitive to energies and I felt the fast pace intensely. For those who don’t know, I am a huge Cecelia Ahern fan having read every book on release from P.S. I Love You, which still remains one of my favourite ever books. So it is safe to say that as soon as a new title from Cecelia is announced quite a lot of excitement follows which was accelerated further this time due to receiving an advanced readers copy of the upcoming 2023 release.

I have heard of synaesthesia where people see music as colours, but limited on those who see people's auras. It certainly makes you think on how it would affect you if this happened to you. It was one of those books that I became totally absorbed in, not light hearted as I normally enjoy, but contemplative especially towards the end. One to read when you want something a bit heavier, but not depressing, and totally different. Highly recommended. If you can get past the few few chapters and into Lou's story, there is no doubt that you will enjoy the book. And these first few chapters, although weaker than Cecelia's previous books, are essential to expressing the lesson and moral of this story. So in hindsight, it is easy to see why the book begins like this.

Featured Reviews

Ahern είναι ελπιδοφόρα βιβλία. Είναι βιβλία που μέσα τους κρύβουν μαθήματα ζωής και αλήθειες πασπαλισμένες με δόσεις φαντασίας και μαγείας. Είναι βιβλία που άλλοτε είναι χαρούμενα, άλλοτε νοσταλγικά, άλλοτε θλιμμένα. Time is more precious than gold, more precious than diamonds, more precious than oil or any valuable treasures. It is time of which we do not have enough; it is time that causes the war within our hearts, and so we must spend it wisely. The moral of the book is that time is a gift. We do not have enough of it so we must spend our time wisely, share it with family and friends. The Gift focuses on the idea of time and how we spend it. Do you have any tips for managing our time around such a busy time of year?

What Lou doesn’t catch onto immediately, is that Gabe is about to gift him his special talent for being in two places at once. The gift is one we have secretly wished for a time or two, I'm sure- but as it turns out the gift ends up having an unexpected effect on Lou…

The Gift

a b c d Cecelia Ahern's Official Biography, archived from the original on 4 December 2007 , retrieved 31 December 2007 I have had a life-long relationship with colours. Enduring them, accepting them, surrendering to them.' Admittedly, I, like so many others before me, seem to associate Cecelia Ahern with lovely, girly books, especially with the gorgeous covers her books always have. This is far from the case. Her books are incredibly touching, the writing is clever and this book in particular is a fabulous example of how her books can be moralistic with a magical touch. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't amazing or anything, but it is evident that Ahern is a wonderfully creative writer, and instead of some cheesy romance like I was expecting, there were some real life issues in her story, which can cause one to stop and think. This book is special. Cecelia Ahern writes in such a descriptive and evocative way. The feelings and moods she describes are visceral. Beyond that, the reader is presented with a unique premise with which to digest not only human behaviour but mental health. I loved reading about Alice's journey and was captivated by her colourful insights into the people she met. 'One by one and all at once, I have seen and felt, All the colours of living.' I highly recommend this book.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop