Gentrification is Inevitable and Other Lies

Gentrification is Inevitable and Other Lies

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

we know gentrification is gendered and that capitalism distinguishes race as a tool for accumulation. Confronts gentrification with a multidimensional and intersectional critique, revealing the process of urban 'improvement' as an unending campaign of social exclusion and a biting metaphor for making money.

Too many references to other authors in the text made it at times a bit of a mash-up: other views could have been more often integrated more elegantly with a footnote referring to the authors. I was delighted many times to find myself connecting Kern’s argument to that of a particular thinker only for her to explicitly reference them sentences later - very strong use of Katherine McKittrick’s and Sarah Schulman’s work in particular. I read some Goodreads reviews whose authors criticized Kern for frequently citing the work of fellow scholars.And it can be seen today is rising rents and evictions, transformed retail areas, increased policing and broken communities.

By the time this book is in your hands, the stories I weave here will have already begun to unravel and be rewoven by others. Gentrification Is Inevitable and Other Lies ] examines the forces behind displacement in North America and beyond, arguing for an intersectional way of understanding gentrification, one that acknowledges the harms done to working people based not just on class but also on race, gender, and sexuality. but i'm also not sure who is and the whole time i was reading this (over the last two days lol) i kept feeling like Kern was an outsider looking in, taking a very far away view of gentrification process and anti-gentrification activism.

In Gentrification Is Inevitable and Other Lies, Leslie Kern travels to Toronto, Vancouver, New York, London and Paris to look at how gentrification is killing our cities and what we can do about it. Kern, author of the much-loved Feminist City, provides a thorough and extremely thoughtful intersectional analysis of gentrification, particularly through the lens of decolonization. Destacar que la finalidad de la autora es visibilizar que hay medios para luchar contra la gentrificación. I think the intersectionality should have been handled better in a book all about cultural power dynamics.

Analyzing connections between gentrification and culture, money, class, communities and more, she challenges readers to dismantle the ‘common sense’ train of thought that it is inevitable. Kern not only details the erosion of communities at the hands of local governments and developers, in the final chapter she discusses possible ways to fight back.Los primeros 8 se dedican a explicar la gentrificación, desmitificar visiones comunes y establecer distintas relaciones que la impulsan. Gentrification Is Inevitable and Other Lies is a humane analysis of the many contributing and consequential factors of urban takeovers.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop