This is the Night They Come For You: A TIMES THRILLER OF THE YEAR

RRP: £20.00
Price: £10
£10 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Goddard proves himself a master of suspense once again in this taut, atmospheric mystery. The characters are realistically drawn and the plot is fast-paced and tension-filled. This Is the Night They Come for You is another winner from one of my favorite authors.” Attention to details- historical, places, atmospheres, is, as usual, to the nth degree. I've also enjoyed the gradual friendship between Taleb and Hisouchi, and they worked well together- they were definitely a force to be contend with. Really enjoyed my first Robert Goddard about the sad and horrific lead up to and hellish descent thereafter of Algerian Independence but won’t be putting into bookclub. Serious sag about halfway through in need of some assertive editing

Superintendent Moloud Taleb is an Algerian policeman heading towards retirement. He may not be important enough to have his own air-conditioned office, but his life is about to become very interesting (in every sense). He is seconded to work with Souad Hidouchi, a female agent with the feared Algerian secret service. A former agent is on the run, after serving twenty years in prison for his involvement in a high-level corruption scandal. Hidouchi and Taleb are instructed to find him. Taleb is reluctant: he’d like to live long enough to make it to retirement and becoming caught up in this case does not bode well. But he becomes caught up in Hidouchi’s search.

In the present, Stephen isn't telling Suzette the whole truth - he's something to hide - literally - because he realises he could be in danger, and Taleb and Hidouchi start trawling files and CCTV to get on the trail of Zarbi. There is never a dull moment in a novel by Robert Goddard. His plots grab one in a vice-like grip and hold tight through the many twists and turns of each new revelation. Yet despite the brilliance of his plotting it is his intensely drawn characters that drive the mysteries forward. Most usually they are chameleons with more than a skeleton or two in their closets. The difference between convicted criminals and unconvicted ones is that the unconvicted ones run the country.'” This is a really good, complex story - so you really have to concentrate! A mixture of fact and fiction is woven around the Algerian War of Independence during the 1990s. Admittedly I knew very little about the historical facts, so this was very interesting. Now, there are a lot of main characters and chapters/sections of the narrative reflect different points of view - sometimes it was awkward to keep the timelines straight. However, perhaps I can help with that:

This is the Night They Come For You (Paperback) - Waterstones

Overall, if you like clever complex thrillers that are well researched and which lends an air of authenticity then this is for you. Mr Goddard combines fact and fiction in this thriller which left me wanting to know more about the history of Algiers both before and after independence from France. A terrific read. This Is the Night They Come For You by Robert Goddard is released 24 March from @penguinrandomhouse @penguinukbooks.Highly recommended read. Definitely one of Goddard's best works, combining historical facts with a labyrinthine plot that is gripping, spellbinding, insightful and touching. He just gets better like a fine wine, and proves once again why he is considered one of the best novelists out there (and one of my all-time favorite authors). Definitely a recommended read and Goddard remains an interesting writer. People who like this book and his style should be encouraged to dip into his earlier work.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop