The Pepperpot Diaries: Stories From My Caribbean Table

The Pepperpot Diaries: Stories From My Caribbean Table

RRP: £27.00
Price: £13.5
£13.5 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Form the dough into a ball with your hands, wrap it in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 5. Members get the first chance to book our entire programme of events, including go-down-in-history gigs, concerts with world-class orchestras, and talks from cultural icons and political giants. Andi Oliver’s deeply personal exploration of Caribbean food showcasing both traditional and new recipes, cherished ingredients, and vibrant flavors from across the region Showcasing both traditional and new recipes, cherished ingredients and vibrant flavours from across the Caribbean, let Andi Oliver take you on an exploration of identity and heritage as she shows you how to create simple yet sensational dishes that will bring the unbeatable flavours of Caribbean cooking to your table. The story of food captured in this book will take readers on a journey around the melting pot of cultural influences, history and heritage that has uniquely shaped traditional and contemporary Caribbean cuisine.

On the inside covers of her first cookbook, The Pepperpot Diaries, is a tapestry of photos of her sprawling extended family. She traces them with a finger. Here is her daughter Miquita, the TV presenter, with whom she’s made several shows; her Antiguan mother, now in her mid-80s, who lives upstairs, pictured with her father over the years: “Can you see she’s looking progressively more pissed off in each photo?” There are friends as close as family: the singer Neneh Cherry, with whom Oliver fronted the post-punk band Rip Rig + Panic. And what’s this? A photo of the Kanneh-Mason clan, the piano- and string-playing musical prodigies? “They’re my cousins!” The book is her origin story as well as a guide to a vibrant but under-represented cuisine: Caribbean cooking is the cooking of 700 islands, with India, China, France, Spain and Portugal all finding their way into the food. Once the liquid is cool, add the spring onions, coriander stalks, and most of the diced cucumber, reserving about 2 tablespoon. Add the cumin seeds and ginger and sauté for a further 5 minutes. Add the tomatillos (if using) and grated and chopped tomatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes. This dish really came into being because mMy father-in-law, Lloyd, keeps asking me for rum and raisin everything, so this is for Lloyd. The gorgeous short pastry is from the mind of she who rules all baking, my niece, Phoebe Oliver. Came out right nice. Life began in London, joining a band with her brother Sean and Cherry. “Punk gave us an engine,” she says, “and it taught us to be self-fulfilling. Punk taught you to not wait. It gave me the most beautiful gift at the right time: I’ve found quantifiable, external success later in life, but I’ve always done exactly what I wanted to do.”The first sweet things I ever made were cheesecakes. This iteration brings together the creaminess of white chocolate with toasty coconut and vibrant lime to sublime effect. Not too sweet, just right. Oliver shares her favourite recipes, guaranteed to bring the delicious flavours of Caribbean food to your table, plus plenty of tales from her colourful career in food, music and TV. Join us before the talk in the Queen Elizabeth Hall Foyer, where you can hear DJs spin some of Oliver’s favourite music, and taste some of her recipes. The story of food captured in this book will take readers on a journey around the melting pot of cultural influences, history and heritage that has uniquely shaped traditional and contemporary Caribbean cuisine. Through her travels in Antigua, Andi shares her deeply personal journey on reconnecting with the food she grew up eating – the flavors and ingredients that run through her heart and soul – and what the future might hold for Caribbean cookery. This book explores who we were, who we are, and where we’re going – all through the food we eat and the people we meet along the way.

Put all the ingredients into a small saucepan with 80ml of water. Set over a medium-low heat and warm through, stirring now and again, until everything is melted and combined. Discover a fascinating story of food that delves into the melting pot of cultural influences, history and rich ancestry that has uniquely shaped traditional and contemporary Caribbean cooking. Andi Oliver's debut cookbook is brimming with the delicious Caribbean flavours she is renowned for celebrating, incorporating her travels in Antigua to create a unique, excuberant culinary experience." Liz Earle Wellbeing The Pepperpot Diaries is Andi Oliver’s long-awaited first cookbook. Showcasing both traditional and new recipes, cherished ingredients and vibrant flavors from across the Caribbean, let Andi Oliver take you on an exploration of identity and heritage as she shows you how to create simple yet sensational dishes that will bring the unbeatable flavors of Caribbean cooking to your table.

When you return to the dough, punch it down gently with your hand, then leave for a further 10-15 minutes to rest. Join the award-winning chef and broadcaster for a celebratory night out filled with storytelling, music and incredible flavours, as she introduces her long-awaited first cookbook The Pepperpot Diaries: Stories From My Caribbean Table. Through her travels in Antigua, Andi shares her deeply personal journey on reconnecting with the food she grew up eating - the flavours and ingredients that run through her heart and soul - and what the future might hold for Caribbean cookery.

Our servers are getting hit pretty hard right now. To continue shopping, enter the characters as they are shown For the sweet pastry, place the butter, flour, sugar, ground almonds and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture looks a bit like breadcrumbs. Tip in the eggs, one by one, pulsing with each addition until the dough has just formed. Using a 12cm cookie cutter or a bowl of the same size, cut out 10 circles of pastry. Carefully line each of the fluted tart tins with a piece of pastry, making sure it fits snugly into the corners. Pop a piece of baking parchment over each piece of pastry and fill each case with baking beans. Blind bake the tart cases in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.

For a while she went by her middle name, Denise, because it felt more like a white girl’s. “I felt like I was waiting for my life to start,” she says. “I knew it was going to happen, and I knew I just had to wait it out.” The great thing about becoming famous in your 50s, she says, is that it doesn’t drive you mad: you can enjoy the work, but you see it for what it is: “If this had happened to me when I was younger, I’d be dead by now.” Oliver may be the biggest thing on food TV these days, presenting Great British Menu for a third series – she’s fast-talking, deeply knowledgeable, engaged, at ease and earthy, with a refreshing inquisitiveness. She asks so many questions, puzzling over ways to stop the mayonnaise separating in a cheese toastie, on the Channel 4 show Food Unwrapped.

Mix together the diced mango and remaining lime zest and serve a little spoon of this alongside slices of cheesecake, or pile it on top of the cheesecake as well.I love a second-day pot of curry, and this recipe is no exception – if you make a big enough pot it will see you through a couple of dinners in the middle of the week. This is also one of those many moments when you’ll be glad you took my advice to keep a big jar of green seasoning in the fridge. In a food processor, blitz together the onion, garlic, chilli, ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and curry powder, and 2 tablespoons of the oil to a rough paste. Margot Robbie stars as the eponymous fashion doll in this live-action adventure directed by Greta...

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop