Knit Picks Options Interchangeable Caspian Circular Knitting Needle Set

Knit Picks Options Interchangeable Caspian Circular Knitting Needle Set

RRP: £71.23
Price: £35.615
£35.615 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

All four of them are fairly easy to use. In the case of Knitter’s Pride, HiyaHiya, and ChiaoGoo, you insert a little pin into a little hole in the cable, then you screw the needle onto the cable and use the pin to really screw tight. The ChiaoGoo pin is maybe a tiny bit more durable, but the difference is marginal at best. To detach the cables, you insert the pin again and unscrew the needles. Pretty straightforward and simple. This is how you join the cables with the needles (HiyHiya as an example) You also get the most cables in the ChiaoGoo set, while addi sadly only adds 3 cables. So, if you have a lot of different works in progress, you might have to buy some spares. Interchangeable Knitting Needles are just like circular needles but without the commitment of a fixed cable length. Featuring removable needle parts, interchangeable needles let you easily switch up the needle size and cable length depending on your project needs. Listen, I totally understand why you would need a different cable below 3mm. But CG makes the cut at 5.5 mm. A lot of knitters never touch those 2.00 mm or even 1.50 mm needles anyway, so I wouldn’t call getting a different set of cables and accessories for those a disadvantage. But 4.00 mm is quite the common size for a lot of projects – and so is 6.00 mm for blankets and sweaters. I have been knitting for around 54 years, having taught myself from Mary Thomas’s Knitting Patterns, a marvelous book which gives resources for designing motifs far more than any other book I have come across, as it describes the way various kinds of stitch are created, from knit and purl. through cables, to lace and faggot stitch. This book was published in 1934, her subsequent book, Mary Thomas’s Knitting Book, which I got at a later date was published in 1938, and tells about the history of knitting, gives many cast on techniques and information on designing garments.

Both HiyaHiya and ChiaoGoo are pure stainless steel. That means, the surface is not totally smooth and has these…well striations I guess. Depending on the yarn you use, you will notice quite a bit of friction, and whenever the needles touch, they don’t slide across each other effortlessly. My dad always told me “buy cheap stuff, and you’ll buy twice”. While there are certainly exceptions, I found that adage to be remarkably close to the truth. The last thing you want is a broken needle/cable on a live project. Addi offers quality made in Germany, but you clearly pay for it. I do have to say, that the needles are quite a bit cheaper here in Germany (so it probably has to do with import tariffs). ChiaoGoo and HiyaHiya are basically the same prices, while Knitter’s Pride clearly is the most affordable option of them all. Bottom Line: Which interchangeable needle set is the best? The coating of the Knitter’s Pride needles tends to change color over time. I felt like mentioning it, even though I doubt it matters. Knitting easeIf somebody took away all my ChiaoGoos and handed me a gift certificate for the replacement of my choice, cost no object, I’d buy the same sets all over again, with the possible exception of the bamboo Spin set. I can’t remember when I last used the nylon cables (other than as stitch holders on a hibernating project), and I rarely use the bamboo needles, but then again sometimes you want a less slippery needle, so even those are useful. It’s a bit harder to capture knitting ease, and I’m afraid my assessment is not entirely objective. I was a bit hesitant to include a paragraph, but then I figured my readers will be smart enough to take my verdict with a grain of salt.

The second most important part of any interchangeable needle set are the cables. Here, you’ll find quite some differences as well. While all four brands do offer different cable options, I am only looking at the ones that come along with the set. Knitter’s Pride cable I am sure you have considered buying an interchangeable knitting needle set. Maybe you already own one. It’s certainly one of the most important knitting tools and the advantages are many: Instead of buying a new pair of needles for every new project, you can use the very same set every time and adjust the needle size and cord length according to your preferences and the requirements of the pattern. One needle set may give you up to 500 different combinations.

So, for knitting lace, it works like a charm. For the (traveling) magic loop technique, the cable is sadly not really flexible enough. While it does work, I don’t think it’s ideal here. Here, you might have to buy some spare plastic cables. Addi cable You almost always have the right needle size for a project at home. No need to go shopping for new needles in case you want to start a new project with new yarn. There’s nothing worse than your knitting needles coming undone while you are knitting. In all fairness, I do have to say that addi owns that field. Both my ChiaoGoo, HiyaHiya, and my Knitter’s Pride cables have come undone in the past. Usually, I noticed it before the point of no return because stitches have gotten caught in the gap. Still, there’s no denying how annoying that is, especially as it’s hard to rescue this situation mid-row. I blame it on the fact that these systems make it very hard to really screw it tight.

In terms of the boxing, addi is probably the winner. That bag is durable, looks very high-end, and is very practical on top of that. I like the fact that it works with buttons instead of zippers (which often become clogged), though the rubber band might give you some trouble if you took too many needles out. The other three pouches are pretty flimsy, and I am not sure I would call ChiaoGoo a winner just because it uses some cheap cotton instead of see-through plastic. I like the fact, however, that they print the needle sizes on the different slots. Comparing the two needle-size gauges We also offer short tip needles so you can create those smaller projects like hats and sleeves with ease. Typically 13 needles from US 2 (2.75 mm) to US 15 (10mm), 6 cables (3 small, 3 large), 4 durable cable stoppers, 2 cable extenders, 2 cable keys, stitch markers, a needle gauge all wrapped in a sewn fabric bag with zippers, and a small compartment on the front for the accessories. Addi The contents of my addi mix 5″ set. I also like being able to switch to their Cubics tips when I need to. I’ve had both carpal-tunnel and tendonitis problems in the past. I know now as soon as symptoms appear to start doing appropriate exercises again and switch to Cubics until pain and discomfort are gone. Reply I do have to say, that Knitter’s Pride does have the strongest connection, though. I am always having “problems” unscrewing them – that never happens to me with ChiaoGoo. But that’s actually quite noteworthy, because the easier they unscrew, the easier it can happen accidentally. HiyaHiya usually is pretty damn tight as well, though weirdly enough, some needles have a problem with their screws.

Interchangeable needles work by screwing the end of the flexible cable into the needle tips, tightening with the cable key to ensure the cables don't come undone during knitting. Smooth joins enable stitches to slide easily from tip to cable.

I personally believe in buying the best tools available for your craft. But if you are not a pure lace knitter and need extra sharp points, I am not sure you can justify almost twice the cost. The Knitter’s Pride needles are, on a fundamental level, very similar to ChiaoGoo. Sure, there is a slight difference when it comes to the joins. The cables, on the other hand, are a matter of preference, and so is having a galvanized needle or a pure stainless steel needle (almost no grip vs a bit of grip). That being said, ChiaoGoo clearly offers the broadest range of knitting needles. HiyaHiya is pretty similar, and one could say their needle extenders make it even more versatile (though CG offers them as well), but their small system only goes down to 2mm, while CG goes down to US OOO / 1.5mm. You can buy smaller and bigger needles for Knitter’s Pride and addi as well. But it does have to be mentioned that none of them go down to 2.75 mm / US 2 needles or lower. The ChiaoGoo twist red lace cable is the only coated steel wire cable and the heaviest of the lot. It still only weighs a couple of grams, but as we are looking and minor differences between the different interchangeable knitting needle sets to begin with, I felt like mentioning this. On the plus side, this cable has zero memory effect and it basically never curls up. I think ChiaoGoo and HiyaHiya can be a great option for lace knitters and makers who favor very small needle sizes and like the extra variability. Here, I think it depends on the projects you prefer: The wire cables are nice for flat projects, while the very flexible plastic cables are better for knitting in the round.This means knitting feels a bit harder and slower, but in reality, it somehow isn’t (I recorded a video of me knitting with all 4 brands and counted the stitches I could knit in 20 secs). Still, the sharp tips mean you are more likely to split the yarn if you are going fast. That being said, I feel HiyaHiya is a tiny bit smoother and easier to knit than ChiaoGoo. These tips are standard length - approximately 12cm (4.75") long, a popular length for day-to-day use and medium / large projects.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop