Lost London 1870-1945

Lost London 1870-1945

RRP: £50.00
Price: £25
£25 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

It was a fascinating and frustrating look at some of London's buildings that have been lost to neglect, war, social change, new transport infrastructure or just speculation and investment. But then perhaps that is how those whose mistakes the book laments thought about the buildings they replaced too? Mary Hermione Hobhouse (1934 - 2014) was an English architectural historian who was a general editor of the Survey of London. I had rather expected that the devastation of Second World War bombing would be the dominant theme of the book, but in fact only the last (comparatively short) chapter concentrated on that dark chapter in London’s history. Philp Davies’ magnificent and seriously weighty tome of London County Council photographs, Lost London 1970-1945, is the kind of book I used to edit for EH.

Back on our travels, passing an old lost bookbinders and publishers, we come across a place for the school of manners, we all pop in for a quick lesson, before taking to the ornate gin palaces and tobacconist. Very good Book cover lightly browned and rubbed, slight reader's crease on spine, tiny tear at bottom spine end, pages slightly warped. In The Daily Telegraph, Tim Robey found, "It went alright on the night, with no hideous glitches", adding that, "Breaking new ground with this live experiment was only a matter of time, and single-take gambits of its ilk have been dabbled in for years. If you want to see the capital’s oldest structures by far, then you have to be at Vauxhall at low tide.

If your name or address details have changed you will be required to upload or post evidence of your new details. The Lost London Churches Project has been running for almost 2 years now and we have distributed 20,000 collectable cards to the general public over that time. The film was shot on 20 January, and it was broadcast in over 550 theatres in the United States starting 1800 PST on 19 January. Overall, Gilbey wrote, "Bumps and wrinkles in the film would doubtless have been remedied with the luxury of reshoots.

Now a still more hefty tome with the same title, accompanying an exhibition, appears under the mainstream auspices of English Heritage, authored indeed by the organisation’s London and South-East England Planning and Development Director – though, as I am sure he realises, the very words ‘planning and development’ carry a whisper of warning to those who have lived through the worse that planning can do. Most purchases from business sellers are protected by the Consumer Contract Regulations 2013 which give you the right to cancel the purchase within 14 days after the day you receive the item. Not to mention upholstery trimmers, laundry workers and the 20,000 seamstresses annually who were kept busy during the brief period of The Season, only to be put out of work immediately at its end. There are, he suggests, existing monuments that could happily be lost, and one or two lost ones that could just as happily be reclaimed. It got to roof level, complete with passages to parliament and to the Tube station, before the money ran out and most of it was demolished.This review was originally published on Rachel’s Writings, but I thought I’d republish it here because I’m going through another phase of being obsessed with old photographs of familiar places. Enlarged and cropped, the photographs reveal the built environment and life within it in great detail. this satisfyingly heavy book depicts a grimy, muddy city with spots of aristocratic grandeur, a city on the verge of transformation.

We take a look at the old coaching inns on the road to Tyburn, and then stop off at the bohemian streets and squares. The insight these photos give into what London was like during the war is truly eye-opening and horrifying. The cover photo is typical; so sharp that you are standing there, on the edge of the street, almost touching the past and its people.I came across this book in our public library, and picked it up because I’d recently been reading a number of books on London in the mid twentieth century. May contain markings such as bookplates, stamps, limited notes and highlighting, or a few light stains. A spectacular collection of more than 500 of the best images from the former London County Council archive of photographs, which has been held by English Heritage for the past 25 years. Lost London 1870-1945 is a wonderful collection of black and white photos, and unique, this collection shows Elizabethan, Georgian and Victorian London before the major 20th century redevelopments.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The 5 year expiry date on the Freedom Pass is the lifespan of the card chip, and is not how long someone is entitled to hold the pass for. Before replacing your pass it may be worth checking at a tube station to ensure that there is a fault on the pass. While Davies, in his Introduction, does a great job to explain the importance of the images from an architectural history perspective and while he provides us with a socio-economic reference frame for the period covered, it is the images themselves that tell that story best.There’s a puff on the book jacket from Dan Cruikshank who describes this book as “heartbreaking” and he is right. The loss of so very many buildings because of the necessity of new road planning can be explained and understood as motor vehicles (cheaper) replaced horse-drawn conveyances. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop