Girl, Goddess, Queen: A Hades and Persephone fantasy romance from a growing TikTok superstar

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Girl, Goddess, Queen: A Hades and Persephone fantasy romance from a growing TikTok superstar

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Inspired by the myth of the Chinese moon goddess Chang’e … Heart of the Sun Warrior by Sue Lynn Tan. Photograph: HarperCollins Persephone's hang-up over sex = rape might be slightly justified (thanks Demeter etc) but it's boring as hell to read.

I wanted to turn to my mother, to see if I’d answered correctly, but her hands held me in place, though her nails were less piercing. Of course. I’m going to find you a good match, and with an Olympian you’ll still be a part of this court. Besides, I don’t trust anyone under the rule of Poseidon to be the sort of man you marry.’ Enter Hades who comes across quite intriguing at first - a brooding god of the Underworld who wants this flower-growing girl gone and resents her presence. I really liked Hades to start with but then he just turns into this sort of boring character who just lets Persephone do whatever she wants and doesn't really seem to have an opinion half the time, or any objection to her changing his realm. It's from here where Persephone enters the Underworld, starts changing things and discovers the true Hades that the story started to go downhill for me. I had such a fun time with this book. If you enjoyed Lore Olympus, this would be the perfect read for you! It's equal parts rom-com and fantasy while effortlessly weaving in Greek mythology elements and characters. Personally, the most interesting part of the book for me was the reasoning as to why she had to split her time between the earth and the underworld (but I shan’t spoil what it is :P).I loved it, I loved it, I loved it, I loved it (sung to the tune of the all time classic, 'These Words' by Natasha Bedingfield) They gather round, tell me the worst things I’ve ever heard in my life and then give me tips for staying safe. ‘Don’t wear a gown if you have to travel,’ from Aphrodite, ‘disguise yourself as a man if you can and at the very least travel as part of a group.’ Or Athena patting my head, telling me the places to hit a man to break free of him if, god forbid, one ever made it onto the island and took me away. Hestia wasn’t much older than me and would harp on about how it was always safest to stay at home – though admittedly, as goddess of the hearth, I assumed she’d say as much – but if I ever found myself stranded I should march straight to the nearest palace or estate and request Xenia, a bond of hospitality of her own creation that would make them unable to hurt me without consequence. They could still hurt me, of course, but there would be consequences for it. Before Xenia men could do whatever they liked if you were foolish enough to be unprepared for their advances. Bea Fitzgerald’s YA Fantasy Rom-Com debut is a swoon-worthy and utterly feminist take on Greek mythology (and the Hades & Persephone myth) that lured me in with it’s bold and refreshingly assertive approach to Persephone’s tale —which sees her take on the might of Olympus (and her own mother) for the right to RULE HELL … by marrying Hades of course. And I can genuinely say, I didn’t want it to end!

I seem to be in the minority with this review but I didn’t really enjoy this book and I at times, found it quite dull. I adore a Hades and Persephone retelling and I have read my fair share of them in my time but this just felt a bit flat. I think the premise was there but the execution just didn’t work for me. I think this book was supposed to be about female empowerment and all the 'down with the patriarchy' sort of things, but I personally just find it hard to relate to problems such as having men lining up to court me, let alone men who are so gorgoeus, no beauty as such existed before. Maybe I'm just ugly or not a goddess or both, but really, that's her biggest problem??? Still, there’s something about hearing it on a day like today that pulls at a chord in my chest. I’m still disappointing her, even when I’m agreeing to the biggest thing she’s ever asked of me.Essentially all of these changes (plus many more) made me incredibly curious as to how the older myths have now changed as a result of the author’s world building. I’d love for her to write some books that explore the earlier myths, so that I can see how these new myths will unfold for myself. And what would you do with the world?’ my father asked. His words were lined with sharp edges but I didn’t catch their threat until Mother squeezed my shoulder. Her fingers were too hard to be a comfort – a warning, perhaps? Or a threat of her own?

Demeter, are you sure you wish for such a tightly coiled look? The fashion now is much looser,’ Cyane asks from the doorway, the only space left with mother and I both crammed into my tiny bedroom. She is the nymph ordinarily entrusted with the important and arduous task of combing my hair and from the way she’s worrying at the edges of her own tightly-coiled curls, I assume she’s quietly livid mother has decided to interfere on such an important day as this. Sadly, this will probably end up being a forgotten read as ai dont see it being that memorable or standing out to me in the future I most definitely recommend this book if you are looking for a unique original spin on the story of Hades and Persephone. It works. I see my words land, the wince across her brow, her outstretched hand faltering. I don’t even feel guilty when tears spring to her eyes. I want her to cry. I want her to feel a fraction of the pain the thought of marriage causes me. I want her to realize just how much I don’t want this. Yes,’ she snaps, mirroring the vitriol in my own voice. ‘By the Fates, Kore, I didn’t design this system, so stop blaming me for it. If I have to arrange a marriage to keep you safe then I will.’

Advance Praise

Loose?’ Mother sneers, as expected. ‘What would that imply about her? No, a traditional look is best. She will look beautiful but still virginal, precisely what is needed.’ And I did it anyway! Anyone else would be grateful, Kore. Every single god thinks they’re entitled to taking whatever they want, and that includes you. The only thing they respect is each other. Do you not see that marriage is the only way to protect yourself? I’m sure I don’t need to tell you the fates of other girls who thought they could survive alone.’ Detractors of retellings might argue that there is an unoriginality about them, but writers point out that myths and legends stem from a culture of oral storytelling, where tales were told over and over, each iteration bringing something new. I’m not certain what I expected from this Hades and Persephone retelling, but this was quite different from the many others I’ve read in the past. It was definitely more of a rom-com, complete with a very light tone and a lot of Gen-Z language. The snappy and witty banter, however, was a lot of fun and made it an easy read, regardless of the book’s length.

You cannot stay a girl on an island forever.’ At least we agree about one thing. ‘I know you’re scared but I’m the goddess of vegetation. There is no place on Earth you could go where I will not be able to find you.’ I know that too. ‘You won’t be leaving us forever.’ That’s beside the point,’ she says. ‘The only way you get more power, and carve some space for yourself in this world is by aligning yourself with one of those powerful men in marriage. Give the others something, or rather, someone to fear. Do you understand me?’My eyes fall to the floor, and even that is enough to hurt me, staring at orange tiles I might never see again, the home I’m leaving – one way or another. ‘Yes, Mother.’ Zeus is an interesting character but we don't see much of him and there is just a glimpse of the other gods, though Styx makes more of an appearance than most. Demeter is annoying because she just wants what's best for her daughter though she never once actually listens to her daughter and what she wants, and then Persephone goes through a rebellious phase, all the while coming to terms with how she has been treated by her mother which gets mentioned. A. Lot.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop