Mrs Van Gogh: The breathtaking historical novel inspired by the true story of the woman who made Van Gogh famous

£4.995
FREE Shipping

Mrs Van Gogh: The breathtaking historical novel inspired by the true story of the woman who made Van Gogh famous

RRP: £9.99
Price: £4.995
£4.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Johanna was only married to Theo for a short two and a half years - mind blowing in the big scheme of things.

This initially fictional account of Johanna’s life has at its core feminism and in particular the role of women in society at that time and in particularly the attitudes of the artists at Montmartre. This, and a jealous woman’s gossip keeps her brother busy protecting the family reputation and calming down Theo.A Maltese mother and a British father, Caroline now lives on the Wirral and is also known as bestselling author Caroline Smailes (THE DROWNING OF ARTHUR BRAXON). There is more known about this period and the account is enhanced by the inclusion of letters between Vincent, Theo and Johanna.

Not only did we hear Jo’s story, but also the devastating stories of other female characters, which take you on such an emotional journey.After Vincent's death, Theo organized an exhibition of his brother's paintings in their Montmartre apartment in Paris.

I, like the Johanna in the novel, initially didn’t like the Vincent portrayed but eventually came to understand why he was like he was and in the end I had sympathy and empathy for him. The inventory of her estate shows that in addition to Van Gogh's paintings and letters, she also had works by her late second husband, Johan Cohen Gosschalk. Johanna is a disgraced woman, after being caught having relations with another teacher at the exclusive schol where she taught (whilst he is largely unaffected and allowed to continue teaching!

But knowing or not knowing the person he might have been, does not keep me from appreciating his amazing artwork.

JA, als je houdt van sterke vrouwelijke personages in een historische setting en verhalen die gebaseerd zijn op waargebeurde feiten. I'm a sucker for historical fiction that is based upon real life people and Johanna Van Gogh-Bonger was certainly a woman who acted, spoke and behaved well before her time. Johanna was sent to Paris to stay with her older brother after being dismissed from her teaching post.Jo" escapes her puritan Dutch family by moving to Paris to be with her brother who has promised that he will find his sister an appropriate husband. Theo became preoccupied with Johanna, and the following year paid a visit to Amsterdam to declare his love.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop