FREE Shipping

Face

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Critical reception for Face has been mixed to positive, with Booklist saying "Martin's personal growth may lack literary finesse, but his struggle to overcome adversity will still involve some readers". In this startling debut novel from Benjamin Zephaniah, the author tackles the moving and compelling story of a young man, Martin, whose life is completely changed when his face is badly scarred in a joyriding accident. This book will not only be enjoyed by teen readers for its entertaining story, but also for its statement about prejudice. Fleshing out a very clear world these young characters live in, with the change in dialogue between speaking with their child counterparts and adults conveying an accurate fictional narrative, within a non-fictional setting.

As much as I adore Benjamin Zephaniah's poetry and his presence when he reads, I'm not as certain in my feelings towards Face. Stimulating activities in the book and a free downloadable scheme of work available to download on publication. I read this book ages ago but I remember that it scarred me for life (but in a good way) and made me appreciate things more. I was only 11/12 and I loved it, the reality of perceptions, peer pressure and a character learning to be confident in his own skin - brilliant read.Written in very simple language, Zephaniah brings the streets to life - I especially like the scene where Natalie misinterprets the three girls' smiles and gets ready for a fight, only to be asked if she likes clubbing. And then there was the part where Zephaniah said it was a Friday, and in the following scene it was “the next day” and still Friday, somehow. The intriguing synopsis and amazing cover made this seem like it would be great, but I had so much trouble connecting with the characters. Like Refugee Boy that I also listened to recently, Face was brilliantly read by Ben Bailey Smith, who moves seamlessly in and out of a London accent.

Benjamin Zephaniah and Richard Conlon deal with issues such as prejudice, drugs and disfigurement in this vibrant, gritty adaptation of Zephaniah’s bestselling novel for young people. It also shows us a strong young protagonist who is able to deal with the situation maturely and learn as it goes on.

Martin's life looks good with a model for a girlfriend, the best gymnast in school, and as a class clown.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop