My Mum Tracy Beaker: Now a major TV series

My Mum Tracy Beaker: Now a major TV series

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

A childhood friend of Tracy’s, Sean was poor growing up, but his life changed dramatically when he became a rich and famous footballer. Now the owner of a chain of gyms, Sean has all the trappings of luxury, a big house with a swimming pool, a full-time housekeeper, fancy cars and has dated many models and actresses but something’s missing. He’s drawn to Tracy as he’s admired her independent spirit ever since he was a boy. As well as winning many awards for her books, including the Children's Book of the Year, Jacqueline is a former Children's Laureate, and in 2008 she was appointed a Dame. Tracy’s biological mum Carly is still an inconsistent part of Tracy’s life, disappearing for months or years at a time, then reappearing and behaving as if she’s never been away. Selfish and materialistic, she does love Tracy and Jess, in her own way, but Jess is wary of her as she’s seen her let Tracy down too many times. When Tracy starts going out with rich and famous former footballer Sean Godfrey, Jess feels unsettled. She assumes it will fizzle out like Tracy’s previous relationships, so is dismayed when her mum decides to marry Sean. They move into his enormous mansion, complete with swimming pool and housekeeper, leaving all that Jess knows and loves behind. Jess is torn: she wants her mum to be happy, but can she learn to like Sean? Told from the perspective of 10-year-old Jess, the series tells how their lives are drastically changed with the arrival of Tracy’s rich new boyfriend, Sean Godfrey (Jordan Duvigneau). Sean secretly admired Tracy when they were young and when he was simply known as ‘Football’. Now, recently retired and with all the trappings of a successful football star, he wants to whisk Tracy and Jess away to a life of palatial mansions and fancy cars - but when everything starts to go classically Tracy Beaker pear-shaped, can Jess save the day?

Unfortunately, we learn that Tracy’s life has not turned out the way she imagined when living in the dumping ground. Nevertheless, her and her daughter are happy and have created a wonderful loving home in their council estate flat. Fortunately, Cam, Tracy’s foster mum, still plays a vital role in her life and is much loved by Jess, proving a safe place in times of uncertainty. Jacqueline Wilson, most-loved author has sold 40 million copies of her books. Her characters don't need a cape, or a special power to be a hero to generations of children; just huge imaginations, a bit of fierceness and a big heart. And there is no hero fiercer or more iconic than Tracy.Jacqueline is also a great reader, and has amassed over 20,000 books, along with her famous collection of silver rings. Tracy and Justine have been bitter rivals ever since they were children together in the Dumping Ground. Now a graduate with her own business, Justine dresses in more fashionable, conventional style than Tracy. She always has immaculate hair, nails and make-up but inside she’s much more vulnerable and lost than Tracy as Justine never had an adoptive mother like Cam in her life. When Justine sees Tracy dating a rich and famous footballer, the old childhood rivalry reasserts itself. Until Sean Godfrey, Tracy's rich boyfriend, whisks them away to a whirlwind life of fast cars and celebrity stardom.

Jacqueline Wilson wrote her first novel when she was nine years old, and she has been writing ever since. She is now one of Britain’s bestselling and most beloved children’s authors. She has written over 100 books and is the creator of characters such as Tracy Beaker and Hetty Feather. More than forty million copies of her books have been sold.The Story of Tracy Beaker, an award-winning novel about a troubled ten-year-old girl who lives in a children’s home, was originally published to great acclaim in 1991. Now Tracy Beaker is a mum, and this marvellous tale, narrated by her daughter Jess, introduces the spirited character to a new generation of readers. Now meet Tracy's daughter, Jess in this heart-warming tale of unconventional families and unconditional love. I thought they captured its spirit perfectly and Dani Harmer was just superb as Tracy. We were exploring some quite adult themes and I didn’t think it was going to be so big. Years later, though, I was on Blue Peter and they had a huge cardboard cutout of Tracy behind me. I was sitting at her feet, like she’d taken over me. By then, if I walked down the street and people recognised me, they’d call out: “Tracy Beaker!” I agree as well about the gay romance, which made me realize how much the TV series and Book series had actually ended up sort of coming into continuity clashes with each other, but was still nice to see.

Jacqueline Wilson wrote her first novel when she was nine years old, and she has been writing ever since. She is now one of Britain's bestselling and most beloved children's authors. She has written over 100 books and is the creator of characters such as Tracy Beaker and Hetty Feather. More than forty million copies of her books have been sold.

I very much related to the character because she was a lot like me, she loved books and hated sports day! I read it because I really enjoyed the other Tracy Beaker stories and wanted to find out what happened next. Also, I liked that it has references to other books. verifyErrors }}{{ message }}{{ /verifyErrors }}{{

Tracy Beaker is the same fierce, funny, impetuous force of nature she always was, but her energy is now focused on her beloved daughter Jess. The years haven’t exactly mellowed Tracy, but the twin stabilising forces of her adoptive mother Cam and her own daughter have made her just a little bit kinder. Tracy will do anything for those she cares about, she’s very protective of Jess and puts Jess’ happiness first at all times. I wrote several more books about Tracy, eventually moving on to her becoming a mum herself. It would be wonderful if we had Tracy having to go into a home for the elderly, too, bringing her story full circle. But I see Tracy having a wonderful future no matter what, even if it’s only in my head. Through Tracy, I’ve done all sorts of work with the fostering network. Some kids I met said Tracy raised their status at school. Of course, because the books and shows are aimed at children, you can’t include the whole reality. Being a child in care is no picnic. My Mum Tracy Beaker follows Tracy (Dani Harmer) and her daughter Jess (Emma Maggie Davies), as they try to scrape by financially, but with a close and loving bond that Tracy missed out on with her own mum. I have not read any of the other Tracy Beaker books or seen the show. But I like how the book is from a child’s (Jess’) perspective, as its usually from an adult’s. My favourite character is the dog Alfie because I think he sounds so cute! My Mum Tracy Beaker has been commissioned by Cheryl Taylor, Head of Content, BBC Children’s and is made by BBC Children’s In-House Productions. It has been adapted for television by Emma Reeves. It will premiere on CBBC and BBC iPlayer in February.As well as winning many awards for her books, including the Children’s Book of the Year, Jacqueline is a former Children’s Laureate, and in 2008 she was appointed a Dame. I'd have said it was definetly less light-hearted and a lot more dramatised and dark in parts than the book, though I guess that is to be expected with TV. I'd say while I enjoyed it for the nostalgia, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed in parts, and like I've mentioned the series and book continuity, feeling since it was meant to follow the book rather than the original series made things a little confusing and incongrouous, like it shouldn't have been canon with the series but obviously was supposed to be. The book was published in 1991. I can’t say it was an overnight success but it did better than my others and soon a wonderful producer at the BBC, Sue Nott, told me she was desperate to make it into a TV series. She had trouble though: some people believed Tracy wasn’t an aspirational character and wouldn’t be popular, but Sue persisted. A decade after the first book, the show started. Jacqueline Wilson sets the context well by making references to the popular TV shows and the much-loved Tracy Beaker book series. This allows readers of all ages to reconnect with a character whose life they feel like they have been part of. From the joys of the dumping ground to the mischievous games in Dare Game, and even Tracy’s return as a social worker. Every part of Tracy’s growing up is re-lived, so readers who aren’t familiar with the world of Beaker need not worry. So, was it any good? It's all relative, isn't it. The series was aimed at children and on a children's TV channel. So the production values, scripts and acting were all kids' TV standard. Alright, but hardly going to win any awards. The story seemed to move a mile a minute and I don't know how much you'd enjoy it as an actual child, with no previous exposure to the cult of Tracy Beaker. But - being based on a good book by an award winning author - the basic plot was decent, the characters (I felt) were true to their original counterparts and the returning actors, if not the world's best, know their characters inside out and I actually thought both Dani Harmer (Tracy) and Montanna Thompson (Justine Littlewood) gave great performances. But the main draw, obviously, is the nostalgia factor.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop