London: A Guide for Curious Wanderers: THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

London: A Guide for Curious Wanderers: THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The text itself provides just the right introduction to each spot covered, whetting many an appetite (or at least my own--can I book a flight?). The author brilliantly intersperses some walks throughout, as well--which I would absolutely avail myself of were I a tad bit closer. This was a great way to get a birds-eye view of London and its rich history, art, and architecture.

London is famous for its museums, each one full of treasures and relics but the biggest museum in the capital is the city itself. From the stories behind unusual street names, to the trees in our parks; railings made from recycled WWII stretchers, to shrapnel damage on walls; the hidden symbols on post boxes, to prehistoric tree trunks there is a rich history hidden in the oft-overlooked details of the citys streets, gardens, parks and buildings. So, pop on a sturdy pair of shoes and get ready to turn the city into the museum you never knew you had. About the Author We are experiencing delays with deliveries to many countries, but in most cases local services have now resumed. For more details, please consult the latest information provided by Royal Mail's International Incident Bulletin.

London: A Guide for Curious Wanderers is a great travel guide of London as well as a book that contains a wealth of information that many may not know about the City of London. Overall I think this is a brilliant book, and is not only handy if you’re planning on going for a stroll around London, but also if you simply want to learn some interesting facts and know more about the city’s history. I, for one, am about to annoy my friends and family to no-end with all my new knowledge, and would quite like to book a trip down to London, specifically to see the tiny cheese and mice sculpture on Philpot Lane.

London is famous for its museums, each one full of treasures and relics – but the biggest museum in the capital is the city itself. From the stories behind unusual street names, to the trees in our parks; railings made from recycled WWII stretchers, to shrapnel damage on walls; the hidden symbols on post boxes, to prehistoric tree trunks – there is a rich history hidden in the oft-overlooked details of the city's streets, gardens, parks and buildings.The book comes complete with maps so you can spot these details yourself on walks through the capital or even on your commute. I had a few hours of fun browsing through this book and making a few mental notes of things to look at if I’m in London.

This richly detailed and beautifully illustrated book provides a miscellany of historic features and curiosities to spot as you wander around the capital. Whether you’ve always wondered why there are cattle troughs on your route to work, why bollards often look like upside down cannons or wanted to know what a Victorian stink pipe is – this book will provide the tools to decipher London’s secret code, and introduce you to a treasure trove of hidden spots to explore. The book comes complete with maps so you can spot these details yourself on walks through the capital. So, pop on a sturdy pair of shoes and get ready to turn the city into the museum you never knew you had. It is my guide to London’s often overlooked little details, quirks and oddities. From bollards that are actually upended cannon and evidence of London’s lost rivers, to the stories behind some of the city’s best street names and what a ‘snob’ screen is, it is a miscellany of London and how to read the city’s streets.Each walk has a theme. For example, the first one focuses on London’s buildings. They go from Roman ruins to skyscrapers.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop