Freia Melkesjokolade Milk Chocolate, 250 g

Freia Melkesjokolade Milk Chocolate, 250 g

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Many Norwegians prefer to buy their chocolate in large bar form to share or keep for a while. They're super easy to spot in the supermarkets, and are often found with a discount. By the turn of the century, Freia was the leading Norwegian brand in sweets. Since its inception the factory has been in the Rodeløkka neighborhood in the borough of Grünerløkka in Oslo. Launched in 1969, Freia's Toppris Kubbe is similar to the Toffee Crisp or Lion Bar. This chocolate bar is filled with light toffee and rice, so it's chewy with a slightly crispy texture to it.

In 1980 the company merged with a Bergen-based company to create ‘Beregene Nidar' but 17 years later, the Nidar name was restored and all Bergen production moved to the Trondheim facility. Today the company is part of the giant Orkla corporation. Large chocolate bars Find sources: "Freia Melkesjokolade"– news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR ( November 2023) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message) These salty-sweet tornadoes are my absolute favourite Norwegian chocolate! Smash from Nidar are simply corn chips covered in chocolate. It was engineer Jørgen Holmsen who discovered the ‘airy' Aero chocolate bar at a trade fair in Germany, and returned to the Nidar factory to try to create something similar. Most commonly sold in bags, Smash is also available in bar form. That's simply a regular chocolate bar containing bits of Smash, rather than being one big Smash bar! Kvikk LunsjOf course, it would be wrong to stop just with the big two. Norway has its fair share of entrepreneurs trying to make it in the chocolate world. Up in Bodø, British chef Craig Alibone has made quite the name for himself with his premium chocolate brand and shop. Read this interview with him to find out more. Craig Alibone The vast majority of chocolate on sale in most Norwegian stores comes from just two companies: Freia and Nidar. Of course, major brands like Mars, Twix and Kinder are also available on the shelves in Norway, but that's not what this article is about. There has also a peanut version round and about called ‘Peanøtt Kubbe' although I haven't seen it for a while. The peanut taste is much more overpowering than the rice of the original. However, I'm not sure whether that's because that's the genuine taste, or because I really don't like peanuts very much! Troika In conclusion, Kvikk Lunsj is much more than just a chocolate bar. It's a cultural icon that represents the Norwegian love of the outdoors, and has become a symbol of Norwegian identity and values. Whether you're a chocolate lover or an outdoor enthusiast, Kvikk Lunsj is definitely worth trying if you ever find yourself in Norway. In the harsh 1930s, Freia Milk Chocolate was marketed as follows: “This top quality chocolate is made by Norwegian milk with Norwegian capital and Norwegian workers”.

If you’re traveling to Norway I’d recommend you to try out some delicious Norwegian chocolate. Here are three types from Freia, which are famous for their Melkesjokolade (milk chocolate) and Kvikk Lunsj. I’ve also listed Stratos and Smash from Nidar, one of the largest distributors of sweets to Norwegians.

Troika

Can’t wait until you come to Norway? Buy Freia Firkløver Milk Chocolate here (Etsy) Stratos Chocolate bar Nestle, maker of KitKat, has argued in European courts since 2002 that it has the right to trademark the shape. The courts disagreed as KitKat isn't commonplace cross the continent. Freia couldn't buy that kind of publicity. On my recent trip to Svalbard, I stumbled upon Fruene cafe which did a roaring trade in its homemade chocolate. I did my bit for the cause and tested out a couple. My favourite? The creamy white chocolate bar complete with polar bear print!

Did you know that you can buy most of these online? I’ve posted links below so keep on reading, and enjoy that Norwegian chocolate! Kvikk Lunsj Chocolate Teal success bought by Johan Throne Holst (1868–1946) in 1892. He took over management from Larsen in 1898 and led the company to commercial success. [2] Holst realized that there was a potential market for edible milk chocolate, in addition to the dark chocolate and other minor products Freia were producing at the time. Holst built up Freia to be Norway's leading chocolate manufacturer. Photo on the left shows the importance of Freia Melkesjokolade in Norway. The art piece is located in Grünerløkka neighborhood in Oslo. (Photo by: Metro Centric) Kvikk Lunsj is a chocolate bar made by the Norwegian company Freia. It consists of four thin wafers filled with milk chocolate, and is similar in size and shape to the KitKat chocolate bar. However, Kvikk Lunsj has a distinct taste and texture that sets it apart.

Stratos

NSFD: Not Safe For Dieters! The Norwegian chocolate to look out when visiting a supermarket in Norway.

Can’t wait until you come to Norway? Buy Freia Milk Chocolate bar here (Etsy) Freia Firkløver Milk Chocolate bar Kvikk Lunsj has also become something of a cultural symbol in Norway. It's often used as a shorthand for Norwegian culture and values, and has been referenced in Norwegian literature, film, and television. In fact, it's even been suggested that Kvikk Lunsj should be considered a national symbol of Norway, alongside the Norwegian flag and the bunad (traditional Norwegian clothing). Freia Melkesjokolade, or Milk Chocolate is a Norwegian classic! This is the most sold chocolate in Norway since the 1960s, and is marketed as en liten bit av Norge (a small piece of Norway). Personally I find it creamy and sweet, and its definitely one of my favorite Norwegian chocolates! At the moment an orange edition is available in stores, which replaces the raspberry jelly with an orange jelly. Small chocolate companies Nidar is the big rival to Freia and is based out of Trondheim in central Norway. The company began in 1912, with Christmas and Easter marzipan the first notable products.Because of the court cases, interest in Kvikk Lunsj has increased outside of Norway too. British newspapers the Guardian and Independent both rated the Norwegian bar higher in blind taste tests. They key? The chocolate-to-wafer ratio is higher in the KL. This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. Freia melkesjokolade was created in 1905 by the newly hired manager Johan Throne Holst (1868-1946). When he took over management, he realized that there was a potential market for edible milk chocolate, in addition to the dark chocolate and other minor products Freia were producing at the time. It became a success. However, it was not until the 1920s that regular people had the money to buy chocolate, as it was a luxury product at the time. The chocolate is consistently marketed to create national romantic associations - as the essence of everything that is Norwegian.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop