The Breakers Series: Books 1-3

The Breakers Series: Books 1-3

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

It's complicated and because he doesn't focus on that one topic which is changing all the time anyway, it's confusing and to me, frightening. One scientist in China went beyond the unofficial agreements, editing the genes of twins to eliminate a certain virus. He didn't need to do that; an easy method that doesn't involve germline editing is available. But he did and one twin came out fine but Isaacson tells us it didn't go well with the other -- but not why. That scientist is in prison in China now. In another experiment, one conducted in the U.S., one of the trial subjects died. Driven by a passion to understand how nature works and to turn discoveries into inventions, she would help to make what the book’s author, James Watson, told her was the most important biological advance since his co-discovery of the structure of DNA. She and her collaborators turned ​a curiosity ​of nature into an invention that will transform the human race: an easy-to-use tool that can edit DNA. Known as CRISPR, it opened a brave new world of medical miracles and moral questions.

The Breakers | Luxury Palm Beach Resort The Breakers | Luxury Palm Beach Resort

For example, this reviewer strongly feels that the industry professionals must narrow down the list to the issues within their domain, where the debates and their resolutions could lead to material or needed change in the methods and bin the rest.Well, what can I say about this book? I am feeling intensely emotioanl about this one and obviously, I would give it A Thousand Stars! Apart from Atul Gawande's "Being Mortal", this is another best-read for me in 2021! Such a brilliant, marvellous piece on CRISPR, its application in genome editing, diagnosing & curing diseases, and how it can be used to fight coronavirus. And most importantly, the star of this book is Jennifer Doudna - the Wonder Woman in science. This is an extremely rich text about a recent scientific advance that has already changed a lot, and will probably end up changing everything. The camaraderie in the lab was not an accident: in hiring, Doudna placed as much emphasis on making sure someone was a good fit as she did assessing their research accomplishments.' CRISPR-Cas9 systems can be ‘programmed’ relatively easily and inexpensively, to conduct ‘germline editing’ (i.e. insertion of designer DNA, or deletion of unwanted DNA) into the organism’s genetic code.

The Code Breaker - Wikipedia The Code Breaker - Wikipedia

For the above reasons I would recommend this book only with reservations. I’m glad I read it, but I think it would be an even more powerful book had it been condensed and edited. The Puzzle Palace (1982), written by James Bamford, gives a history of the writing and publication of The Codebreakers. [3] Kahn, then a journalist, was contracted to write a book on cryptology in 1961. He began writing it part-time, and then he quit his job to work on it full-time. [3] The book was to include information on the NSA and, according to Bamford, the agency attempted to stop its publication. The NSA considered various options, including writing a negative review of Kahn's work to be published in the press to discredit him. [3] The truly revolutionising work came when Jennifer Doudna and Martin Jinek collaborated with Emmanuelle Charpentier and Krzysztof Chylinski, as they attempted to figure out the mechanisms of the CRISPR-Cas9 enzyme. It was determined that - as Jinek informed Doudna - "Without the tracrRNA, the crRNA guide does not bind to the Cas9 enzyme." Doudna would go on to win the Nobel Prize with Charpentier in 2020, for their pioneering work in CRISPR gene editing. The edits are heritable i.e. the genetically modified organism will pass that ‘designer’ genetic code to their offspring. In 2019 a Chinese national scientist named He Jiankui conducted a germline editing process on (x3) embryos, essentially birthing the world's first gene-edited babies.The other concern that if allowed, everyone in the world may opt for children with uniform characteristics, hence reducing overall diversity. There is something fundamentally paternalistic and wrong if scientists feel that people should not have a choice. More importantly, the people are so diverse that it is difficult to expect everyone to go for the same option on almost any parameter. Plus, if everyone in the world wants to go for one solution - let's say to opt for removing all diseases - why should a handful of scientists resist that in the name of uniformization?

The Breakers, Newport, Newport, Rhode Island - Book Tickets The Breakers, Newport, Newport, Rhode Island - Book Tickets

The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race is a non-fiction book authored by American historian and journalist Walter Isaacson. Published in March 2021 by Simon & Schuster, it is a biography of Jennifer Doudna, the winner of the 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for her work on the CRISPR system of gene editing. [1] There are the patent races and the competition among universities in the U.S. and he covers some abroad. Biotech companies are now and have been, in this area of research aligned with the scientists and their universities so for years there's been a race for the scientists to publish and patent because their schools (in Doudna's case, Berkeley, but mainly in the U.S. Harvard and MIT) benefit and the biotech companies the scientists form (Doudna, like most of the scientists in here, owns several) have gone on to make many millions. There's big money at stake. And CRISPR Cas9 ended up being a key technology in producing the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines that just might save all of our biscuits. So in our current system we need both basic and applied research. And it would be nice if the the best of academia could pair with the best of industry to produce important stuff (like vaccines) in a hurry. Subsequently, Feng Zhang (a guy) nearly made off with all the cash and prizes and in doing so, nearly stole the historical spotlight from Charpentier and Doudna (both women).CRISPR is a type of DNA sequence, found in bacteria that have previously been infected by a virus or other invading organism.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop