Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town

Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town

RRP: £9.99
Price: £4.995
£4.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Religions of Rome (with John North and Simon Price, 1998); ISBN 0-521-30401-6 (vol. 1), ISBN 0-521-45015-2 (vol. 2) You may also opt to downgrade to Standard Digital, a robust journalistic offering that fulfils many user’s needs. Compare Standard and Premium Digital here.

Pompeii: New Secrets Revealed (2016) - IMDb Pompeii: New Secrets Revealed (2016) - IMDb

saw Beard present Pompeii: New Secrets Revealed with Mary Beard on BBC One in March. [48] While May 2016, brought about a four-part series shown on BBC Two, titled Mary Beard's Ultimate Rome: Empire Without Limit. [49] The way the remains were found in the cellar already provides an invaluable clue about the lives of the people they belonged to. On one side of the room were individuals buried with one of the most stunning hauls of gold, jewellery and coins ever found in Pompeii. On the other were people buried with nothing. It looked like the stark dividing line of a polarised ancient society - a room partitioned between super-rich and abject poor. But on closer examination the skeletons reveal some surprises about life in Pompeii, of a place where slaves could eat a diet as rich and healthy as their masters, where colour was not a barrier to privilege or success and where even the poor could enjoy a standard of healthcare not realised again for another 18 centuries. a b c d McCrum, Robert (24 August 2008). "Up Pompeii with the roguish don". The Guardian . Retrieved 29 July 2015. Turner, Lark (15 February 2013). "In Britain, an Authority on the Past Stares Down a Nasty Modern Storm". The New York Times . Retrieved 16 February 2013. I've chosen to be this way because that's how I feel comfortable with myself," Beard said. "That's how I am. It's about joining up the dots between how you look and how you feel inside, and I think that's what I've done, and I think people do it differently. Change the plan you will roll onto at any time during your trial by visiting the “Settings & Account” section. What happens at the end of my trial?The first adventure in the Folio Society editions of ‘The Magic Faraway Tree’ series, Enid Blyton’s The Enchanted Wood features Jonathan Burton’s enchanting illustrations and a new introduction by Michael Morpurgo. One-person rule, she said, “does not just operate through political reform or by military power, important as they may be. It works by inscribing the autocrat indelibly into the world of his or her subjects.” She referred to Augustus’s autobiography, Res Gestae (“Things Achieved”) – a rather indigestible account of peoples conquered and temples restored. “It is a piece of enormous self-justification,” Beard explained. “He is saying: ‘I liberated the state.’ And it is full of strategic omissions. He doesn’t say: ‘I tore out someone’s eyeballs with my bare hands.’” (Suetonius, his biographer, later claimed he did.) It would not have taken much to have transformed the lecture into a television programme – the tone, smart and clear but not condescending, was very BBC2.

Mary Beard: ‘The last thing I’d want is a world in which we Mary Beard: ‘The last thing I’d want is a world in which we

Adam Sisman`s definitive biography, published in 2015, revealed much about the elusive spy-turned-novelist; yet le Carré was adamant that some subjects should remain hidden, at least during his lifetime. #TheSecretLifeOfJohnLeCarré is the story of what was left out, and offers reflections on the difficult relationship between biographer and subject. More than that, it adds a necessary coda to the life and work of this complex, driven, restless man.For cost savings, you can change your plan at any time online in the “Settings & Account” section. If you’d like to retain your premium access and save 20%, you can opt to pay annually at the end of the trial. With unparalleled access to Pompeii and featuring cutting-edge modern technology, Mary Beard guides us through this amazing slice of the ancient world. The book that made me a feminist". The Guardian. 16 December 2017. ISSN 0261-3077 . Retrieved 6 January 2018. Honorary graduates | University of St Andrews". Archived from the original on 7 July 2016 . Retrieved 25 January 2020.

Up Pompeii with the roguish don | Mary Beard | The Guardian

After you’ve done it for 40 years, it’s not that you think “Phew, thank God I’m out” – I had a great time, it was marvellous, and I feel so privileged that I spent a career doing what I was really interested in. But it’s time to go – I’m now 68 and I’ve got other things I want to do. The next stop’s the care home, so please, let me have another bite at some other cherries before that! In 2019, Beard appeared in an episode of The Grand Tour, having dinner with host James May, in his effort to get his car photographed by paparazzi. [52]

Pompeii Lost and Found

To be in with a chance of winning a copy of Emma Dabiri’s new book along with this stunning pastel nail polish giftset from Télle Moi, simply… Mary Beard: We are living in an age when men are proud to be ignorant". Evening Standard . Retrieved 3 December 2017.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop