The Hot Zone: The Chilling True Story of an Ebola Outbreak

The Hot Zone: The Chilling True Story of an Ebola Outbreak

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The series is available to stream internationally with Disney+ through its Star hub, with the second season released in selected territories. [25] The series was removed from Disney+ on May 26, 2023, despite not being cancelled and still running. [26] Going Viral [ edit ]

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston Plot Summary | LitCharts The Hot Zone by Richard Preston Plot Summary | LitCharts

Perhaps the biosphere does not like the idea of 5 billion humans...Nature has interesting ways to balance itself" A brave, dedicated soldier and scientist (trained as a veterinarian), and a woman in a male-dominated field, Nancy Jaax provides The Hot Zone with a compelling and relatable protagonist. A loving wife to Jerry… Its tendency to play hopscotch with the human race is also why there is much we still don't know about Ebola. As Level 4 contagions go, it is deceptively simple. Were you to ogle it under a microscope, you'd see a single strand of RNA that codes for a mere seven proteins, one of which—VP24— has been identified as the key facilitator for disrupting the cell signaling processes involved in immune response. With the key communication lines cut, Ebola is allowed free rein and overwhelms the host system before antiviral reinforcements have time to interfere. Want to learn the ideas in The Hot Zone better than ever? Read the world’s #1 book summary of The Hot Zone by Richard Preston here.

Ebola was first discovered in 1976 in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Since the first outbreak, many others followed that have shown just how deadly this virus is. Around half of all those who contract the virus will die.

The Hot Zone Character Analysis | LitCharts The Hot Zone Character Analysis | LitCharts

If you get Ebola it can liquefy your organs, make you lose a lot of blood, and will almost certainly kill you. Smashdown“ comes closer to my favorite optimistic ending for such books, the ultimate bioweapon, as it describes the real life example of a virus spreading by air. I am not sure about this one, as Ebola is known to not be able to spread via air and there seems to be a misunderstanding in the descriptions in the book (or I misunderstood it), but just because it isn´t, that doesn´t mean that nature doesn´t find a way. Or the umbrella corporation. A Frenchman who lives in Kenya near Kitum Cave in 1980, Monet contracts Marburg after visiting the cave. His swift and horrifying decline is described in excruciating detail. Most terrifying of all is the fact… On February 8, 2019, it was announced that National Geographic had greenlit a companion documentary film to premiere alongside the series in May 2019. The film was set to be executive produced by Betsy Forhan and feature interviews with subjects including Richard Preston, Dr. Nahid Bhadelia, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, Dr. Pardis Sabeti, and Dr. Ian Crozier. The production company involved with the film was slated to be National Geographic Studios. [27] Reception [ edit ] Critical response [ edit ] Jahrling's analysis races up the chain of command. Among the experts assembled, Col. Peters invites Lt. Col. Nancy Jaax. Her work with Ebola leads her to believe that the virus can be infectious by air, enabling it to "nuke" an entire building should it get into an HVAC system. She also believes that even if Ebola is quarantined in the Reston monkey house, it won't stay there long. Col. Peters chooses Nancy's husband, Col. Jerry Jaax to lead a team of soldiers and civilians into the monkey house to euthanize the animals caged in the building. The Army had never mobilized a major field operation against a hot virus before.The discovery of the Reston virus was made in November 1989 by Thomas W. Geisbert, an intern at United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases. Dr. Peter B. Jahrling isolated the filovirus further. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention conducted blood tests of the 178 animal handlers. While six tested positive, they did not exhibit any symptoms. The Reston virus was found to have low pathogenicity in humans. This was further supported later when a handler infected himself during a necropsy of an infected monkey, as the handler did not show symptoms of the virus after the incubation period. [4] Reception [ edit ] Dr. Shem Musoke, miraculously enough, begins to get better, and no one else falls ill. His blood is sent out to laboratories all over the world so that they can study the virus. One of the institutions to receive it is the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID), also called the Institute.

THE HOT ZONE Richard Preston : Richard Preston : Free THE HOT ZONE Richard Preston : Richard Preston : Free

It acts like a predator, lying quietly in wait for a host so it can multiply and multiply to destructive effect. Reality can be so much more scary than fiction. I read this book on the same days I was watching the Netflix adaptation of The Haunting of Hill House, which had a curious effect on me. Because, well, the TV show might be very creepy, but I have to say it is nothing compared to the horror of this book. Ebola is a deceptively simple life form. It is a filovirus made up of seven proteins. The subtypes that are known to affect humans are Marburg, Ebola Zaire, and Ebola Sudan. No one knows how the virus is transmitted, or what species serve as intermediary hosts. In humans the initial symptoms resemble the flu. Headache, muscle and joint pain, and fever are the first indications. The difficulty in early diagnosis of the disease is another problem. Many of the initial symptoms resemble malaria. Yet, the chance of a favorable outcome as well as containment depends on the earliest possible diagnosis. a b c d e Petski, Denise (13 January 2021). " 'The Hot Zone: Anthrax': Tony Goldwyn & Daniel Dae Kim To Star In Season 2 Of Nat Geo Series". Deadline Hollywood . Retrieved January 14, 2021. The final chapter chronicles the journey Preston makes to Kitum Cave. He paints a picture of vast space, muted swatches of color and ancient clay and stone. “The mountain seemed like an empty cathedral. I tried to imagine what it must have been like when herds of elephants could have been seen moving through a forest of podo trees as large as sequoias: only ten years ago, before the trouble, Mount Elgon had been one of the earth's crown jewels.”

Smashdown" is more on the Reston epizootic, which involved a strain of the virus that does not affect humans but which easily spreads by air, and is very similar to its cousin the Ebola virus. To determine the source of the virus before it spreads Dr. Nancy Jaax and her lab partner, Dr. Peter Jahrling, must take matters into their own hands. Samples from infected monkeys are handed over to Dr. Jaax from an employee she persuaded to obtain. a b Metcalf, Mitch (May 30, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Wednesday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 5.29.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Archived from the original on May 30, 2019 . Retrieved May 30, 2019. The emergency turned out to be something of a false alarm, since this virus—now called the Reston virus, closely related to Ebola—appeared harmless to humans. However, the Reston virus is still frightening, if only as a sign of what is possible. For it has a mortality as high as Ebola in monkeys (over 90%) and it can be transmitted through the air. The disease spread throughout the entire research compound, even though the monkeys were housed in different rooms, in individual cages. Obviously, if such a virus arose in humans, we would be in for a rough time. Goldberg, Lesley (April 18, 2018). "Ebola Drama Series From Scott Free Set as Nat Geo Grows Scripted Roster (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved April 18, 2018.

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston | Waterstones

Preston uses interviews and first-hand accounts to tell the story of the Ebola virus and its various strains. I'd heard of Ebola, of course. I knew it was a disease and that it killed people. I knew I didn't want it. But I didn't really know. I didn't know that it liquidates your organs and turns your body into a walking corpse days before you "bleed out". I didn't know that it is one of the most infectious diseases that have likely ever existed on this planet. Both species, the human and the monkey, were in the presence of another life form, which was older and more powerful than either of them, and was a dweller in blood. Since the book is quite dated by now, it is worthwhile reading Preston's update on the latest developments pointed to in the thread below by Sarah. Like his wife Nancy Jaax, Jerry is devoted to his family, but does not hesitate to risk his life during the USAMRIID operation to contain the Ebola virus within the Reston Primate Quarantine Unit…

The chief of the disease-assessment unit at USAMRIID, C. J. Peters (like Gene Johnson) has traveled far and wide studying rare infections diseases. Although a military man, Peters favors Hawaiian shirts and sandals, displaying… Robert Redford has departed 20th Century Fox's "Crisis in the Hot Zone" ". Variety. varietyultimate.com. August 15, 1994 . Retrieved March 1, 2015. In The Hot Zone : The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus by Richard Preston, we get an intense real-life look into the terrifying Ebola virus. You’ll learn where it came from, how we were able to halt its spread for now, and where it could spread next. Most importantly, we can learn how to apply the lessons we learned from Ebola to make sure it doesn’t progress to a worldwide pandemic. spoiler alert* This is a good chronology of the outbreak of Ebola Reston among monkeys in Virginia in the late 1980s. (Did not affect humans, although other strains of Ebola do.) There are points where it is very deliberately-paced and other points where it Preston is graphic (readers are warned) about the devastation Ebola wreaks on people. Because of its timing the author also made many parallels with AIDS. The end of the book kind of blames overpopulation, but in fact, much smaller populations of the Earth's people have been affected by plagues for millennia. Siegel, Tatiana (October 16, 2014). "Ebola TV Series in the Works From Lynda Obst, Ridley Scott (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved October 20, 2014.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop