The Strange Library

The Strange Library

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I have a confession to make ... The Strange Library is the first work of Haruki Murakami I've ever read. There, I’ve said it. One of my best friends, Srđan, kept pushing me to read something of Murakami's. To Srđan, Murakami is a mythic figure ~~ I'm certain he makes the sign of the cross every time the mere thought of Murakami enters his mind. Most of my friends love him as well. My mother has read nearly everything he has published. I'm awfully embarrassed to be so late jumping on the Murakami band wagon, but I'm glad I made the leap. The Strange Library is a children's illustrated novel written by Haruki Murakami. The story centers around a boy who finds himself imprisoned in a labyrinth-like library. The book centers around strange, dark themes and words for a children's book. Some regular Murakami-esque features are present here in their full glory. Edgar Allan Poe, an author who came to mind at times when I was reading The Strange Library, says that a short story is one that can be read in a single sitting, and most readers will manage to finish this book accordingly. Yet, like Poe’s own stories, many shorts also demand to be reread, and this is the case with Murakami’s tale, as well. Well, I guess so. It was neat and wrapped up. It was still suitably ambigious enough for a Murakami story though. The whole thing was only a short story of his. It was padded out by the illustrations. And it was nothing new from Murakami. More of the same really. But I did love the library and the idea of it's hidden side." I am not the person to ask. I have not read any of Murakami's books myself. I have to maintain a professional distance."

The Strange Library (ふしぎな図書館 fushigi na toshokan) is a novella for children by Japanese author Haruki Murakami (村上春樹 Murakami Haruki). A version first appeared in 1983. [1] There are several picture books based on this short story, the most recent versions of which were published in 2014. [2] Synopsis [ edit ] How would he ever get out of this nightmare? Where’s a fairy godmother when you need one? Again, this is Murakami, so his fairytale must include some food references, some sheep and birds and a mysterious, alluring nubile girl. Enough said, read the damn fairytale if you want to find out more. It’s very short and it has a lot of pictures to give it extra bulk. It’s a fine example of the Murakami weirdness and magical realism, even if personally I found it underdeveloped, not particularly suited for kids and too much of a downbeat ending, suggesting the little boy is trying to get his mind around the death of his mother The man on the left bowed first and then the one on the right bowed a little deeper. This earned a reproachful look from the other. The library's labyrinthine structure is a nod to Jorge Luis Borges' The Library of Babel. Labyrinths were a common theme of Borges' work. The manner in which the protagonist is imprisoned is reminiscent of Franz Kafka's The Trial. As it happens, Kafka is a regular feature in Murakami's work and hard-coded influence in his writing. Dr Kato said that he was inspired to build the instrument during his time in an internment camp during World War II. Would you like to hear about it?"

Get help with access

Haruki Murakami has a fascinating ability to break open the natural world and let loose all the magic that we hope and suspect is lurking right under the surface. The Strange Library is a cause for celebration in the Murakami ouveur, even just for the simple fact that its existence signals that the well-respected novelist has achieved a superstar status in the world of reading; even more worth celebrating as this status is not commonly held these days by an author with such literary chops and depth of heart. It is also satisfying to see the novel used as an art-form beyond the printed word as Chip Kidd has done here (this is nothing new or groundbreaking, such as B.S. Johnson's book-in-a-box The Unfortunates, but still refreshing). In an age of digital books it is relieving to see publishers producing a reason to go out and buy the physical copy, offering so much more than just the story for those who still enjoy the tangible paper. Though the book is merely a single short story¹—a story that works like a microcosm of all that is Murakami even if a bit watered-down—with a cover price just above a standard novel, it is a gorgeous work of art to support the content and proves that Murakami is enough of a household name to be able to release such an exciting collectors piece. Parts are also surprisingly grim and grisly, including the fate that the boy is told he might face if he doesn't do what the old man demands.) Moriko guided me away from the electronics to the other side of the laboratory. There was what seemed to be a raised circular platform on this side, but as we got closer I could see that it was hollow. And as we got even closer it was evident that the hole was deeper than floor level. The strange reality -- the strange (part of the) library -- he finds himself in is equally vivid yet also has elements that seem barely graspable -- such as the ethereal, voiceless girl who brings him elaborate, delicious meals. He finds an old man there, and admits he's looking for some information about Ottoman tax collection -- it had popped into his head on his way home from school:

US designer Chip Kidd, using more allusive, stark images, writes that: "To generate all the imagery, I borrowed from my own strange library of vintage Japanese graphics."

Murakami Haruki (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/harukimuraka... The pervasive effect of Murakami's writing is a resounding tension - a degree of consternation - triggered by that sense of a primal concept being put on display, subtle yet impossible to shrug off. Talk of new moons shaping the characters' destinies and the idea of stories intermingling is crucial to Murakami's philosophy: "Our worlds are all jumbled together—[...] Sometimes they overlap and sometimes they don’t". In this particular story, the elected as well as the non-elected - the Kid is purposely generic - are at the mercy of the desperate mission to conserve knowledge, such that the old man comes to embody the forces that allow for a Library to be. Thematically, it seems to touch on the crises of literature and libraries at large, as well as the absurdities inherent in an overly-bureaucratic world that annihilates its value components. In fact, there is at times a resigned sense of powerlessness ("the world follows its own course") that hints at the idea of overarching meaningless, in turn counterbalanced by the inner drive that pulls the protagonists away from the darkness. Murakami seems to argue that fanatic extremism is to be perceived for what it is: ultimately destructive and dehumanising. No doubt, the illustrations that are used color how the text is seen; the English-language versions, which have not been text-specifically drawn, seem preferable to the illustrated Japanese and German ones.

Yes, we can see from our reading that this did resonate with you. I will lower the ladder now Brendon. Doctor Sato assures me that they have all the reading they need." Ever since his works became famous, there has been a debate going on in literary circles about whether Murakami is writing 'pop' or 'literary' fiction. Multiple literary experts have put forward interesting opinions regarding it. Even though there has been a debate regarding the genre in which he is writing, there won't be any debate regarding his book's acceptance and the love the literary community shows towards them. Ironically, the best advice the boy gets during his imprisonment in the library comes from the villain. “The world follows its own course,” he says, suggesting the futility of worry and anxiety. “Each treads his own path. So it is with your mother, and so it is with your starling. As it is with everyone. The world follows its own course.” Originally published: November 1982. Short novel about a boy imprisoned in a nightmarish library. A lonely boy, a mysterious girl, and a tormented sheep man plot their escape from the nightmarish library of internationally acclaimed, bestselling Haruki Murakami's wild imagination.A fine small work -- whose reading is likely strongly colored depending on which illustrated version the reader has. Those who come to Mr. Murakami’s work for the first time will be elated by the clarity and wit of his style as translated by Ted Goossen, and intrigued by his characters and the situations they face. The Strange Library . . . stays in the mind because of its combination of brutality with flippancy, but mostly for its oddness. . . . In its own odd way it is a fun read.”— Washington Times I think it's a book for adults who like slightly sinister tales and want to recapture a taste of the frisson of fear they relished when young.

Some societies use Oxford Academic personal accounts to provide access to their members. See below. In Camera Lucida Roland Barthes discovers his mother not in pictures of her as an adult, but in a photograph taken of her when she was a child. Does the narrator of The Strange Library find his mother in the ghostly girl? Then there are the incongruities. Lovely things somehow coexisting with the horrors. The claustrophobic prison cell and the delicious meals served by a pretty girl. The ogreish librarian who eats brains and the sheepish jailer who supplies homemade donuts. The unreasonable task and the mysterious ability to meet it. The dream within a dream. Ever since I was little my mother had told me, if you don’t know something, go to the library and look it up.”Moriko's head popped into the small circle of white light. "Dr Sato tells me that there is a small book light beside the book".

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop