Bringing Down the Duke: 1 (League of Extraordinary Women)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

As if on cue, he scowled. “There is one more thing we have to be clear about, Annabelle, quite clear indeed.” Full of witty banter, rich historical detail, and a fantastic group of female friends, the first installment in Dunmore’s League of Extraordinary Women series starts with fireworks.” — Booklist (starred review) The press of his soft fingers barely registered against her calloused palm. She steadied herself against the desk, the only solid thing in a suddenly fuzzy room. England, 1879. Annabelle Archer, the brilliant but destitute daughter of a country vicar, has earned herself a place among the first cohort of female students at the renowned University of Oxford. In return for her scholarship, she must support the rising women’s suffrage movement. Her charge: recruit men of influence to champion their cause. Her target: Sebastian Devereux, the cold and calculating Duke of Montgomery who steers Britain’s politics at the Queen’s command. Her challenge: not to give in to the powerful attraction she can’t deny for the man who opposes everything she stands for.

Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women)

She had a point. The ancient Greeks had considered passion a form of madness that infected the blood, and these days, it still inspired elopements and illegal duels and lurid novels. It could even lead a perfectly sensible vicar’s daughter astray.” Anyway, this was still a good debut romance novel and I'm looking forward to reading about Lucy in the next one. D azzles and reminds us all why we fell in love with historical romance‘ JULIA LONDON, New York Times bestselling author of Seduced by a Scot I mean, it's got a strong feminist vibe, good message about finding yourself, and main characters that aren't horrid. It just didn't grab me and pull me in like I wanted it to. What a great debut by Evie Dunmore! I am so happy with all of the amazing debuts coming out recently! This was a fantastic book, and I'm so happy that it is part of a series, and cannot wait to continue it! It was well written, funny, angsty and yet sweet, and I had a lot of fun reading it! It actually reminded me a lot of Pride and Prejudice with its slow building romance, which started off as hostility!Even a fortune forged in railroads and steel can't buy entrance into the upper echelons of Victorian high society--for that you need a marriage of convenience.

Bringing Down the Duke (A League of - Austenprose Bringing Down the Duke (A League of - Austenprose

With her sterling debut, Evie Dunmore dives into a fresh new space in historical romance that hits all the right notes.” — Entertainment Weekly Bringing Down the Duke is the best historical romance I’ve read all year.. . . Evie Dunmore is a marvellous, fresh new voice in romance who is sure to go far. Don’t miss her brilliant debut!’ ANNA CAMPBELL, bestselling author of the Dashing Widows series The brute. She had forgotten he existed; now he sent her stumbling over her own feet, and for a horrible beat the world careened around her. Miss Greenfield gave a non-committal squeak. Lady Lucie was known to take no prisoners. There were rumours that she had single-handedly caused a diplomatic incident involving the Spanish ambassador and a silver fork …

Evie Dunmore’s debut is a marvel....A stunning blend of history and romance that will enchant readers.” —Chanel Cleeton, New York Times bestselling author i like historical fiction and i like romance, so i have no idea why its taken me so long to get onboard the historical romance train. but i am so happy this was my first ride into the genre. He was not convinced, and neither was she, for even the maids at the manor wouldn’t earn two pounds a months, and if she scraped together an extra two shillings, it would be a miracle. Annabelle Archer is an English country girl on her way to the University of Oxford in 1879. She will be one of the first female students, but she is charged with supporting the women's suffrage movement in exchange for her scholarship. In between all of his nonsense, there's also a great amount of ugly gender essentialist language in here about the heroine's Feminine Softness and the hero's Masculine Hardness. This is one of those books that refers to women as "females". Again, this is 2019, I shouldn't have to say that this sort of language completely erases trans and non-binary/genderqueer people from existence, and even cis people who don't have the right kinds of bodies (curvy cis men and lean cis women exist, amazingly). And what does shit like "feminine warmth" mean? Do women somehow radiate a special, mystical body heat that fundamentally differs from men? Do their atoms vibrate at some frequency labeled F E M A L E? I'm so tired, authors, don't do this to me.

Bringing Down the Duke book By Evie Dunmore Read Bringing Down the Duke book By Evie Dunmore

Sebastian has been steady his whole adult life. After being thrust into the role of Duke at the young age of nineteen, he has worked tirelessly to restore the family name and fortune. Queen Victoria views him as one of her most trusted inner circle and with good reason. Running the multiple estates that he inherited as the first son and restoring their profitability would break a lesser man. But not Sebastian Devereux, nineteenth Duke of Montgomery. He always accomplished what he sets his mind to, no matter the cost. Nothing will stop him from restoring Montgomery Castle, an estate that his father lost in a bet. Two : approach him firmly … her fingers tightened around the leaflets as her feet propelled her forward, right into his path.The author kept the information about that particular time well balanced. And I applaud her for writing about a not so overly covered period of time.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop