The Art and Science of Teaching Primary Reading (Corwin Ltd)

£9.995
FREE Shipping

RRP: £19.99
Price: £9.995
£9.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

And that is precisely what Christopher Such has provided us with. With an erudite synergy of complex research and first-hand experience, The Art and Science of Teaching Primary Reading is sure to become an essential manual for ensuring every pupil becomes a fluent reader. It’s the book I didn’t realise I’d been waiting for. But if we do not understand what the best available evidence out there says about what makes great reading instruction, what on earth are we to do? It’s little wonder we are left to fend for ourselves and develop our intuition, as if teaching reading was an art. After all, generations of teachers have done this, so maybe we should just carry on. Despite decades of research into the subject, […] many teachers are inexcusably ill-informed about reading.” This is a devastating claim for Christopher Such to open his book with. This is not intended to be a full statement of all your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations. Full details of your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations are available in the UK from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or your Local Authority's Trading Standards Office. This book is an essential guide for primary teachers that explores the key technical and practical aspects of how children read with strong links to theory and how to translate this into the classroom. Bite-size chapters offer accessible research-informed ideas across all major key topics including phonics, comprehension, teaching children with reading difficulties and strategies for the classroom.

Based on his own observations as a teacher and leader, Such manages to tread a fine line between the one-size-fits-all approach implied by “science”, and the perennial and onerous re-invention implied by “art”. The result is a balanced text that can be adapted to all contexts. The essential guide to the science behind reading and its practical implications for classroom teaching in primary schools. Goods that by reason of their nature, cannot be returned - (Items such as underwear, where the 'hygiene patch' has been removed, or cosmetics where the seal has been broken). The essential guide to the science behind reading and its practical implications for classroom teaching in primary schools. Teaching children to read is one of the most important tasks in primary education and classroom practice needs to be underpinned by a secure foundation of knowledge. Teachers need to know what reading entails, how children learn to read and how it can be taught effectively. This book is an essential guide Applicability of cancellation rights: Legal rights of cancellation under the Distance Selling Regulations available for UK or EU consumers do not apply to certain products and services.

I’m not the first to say it, but I don’t think this is acceptable. Teaching children to read is far too important to just leave it to handing on hard-fought teaching experience to the next generation. We need to understand the art and the science of teaching primary reading, ensuring that they complement one another. Teaching children to read is one of the most important tasks in primary education and classroom practice needs to be underpinned by a secure foundation of knowledge. Teachers need to know what reading entails, how children learn to read and how it can be taught effectively. But this is not because we as a profession have sought to avoid the research. One major barrier to developing an evidence-informed approach to the teaching of reading is the complexity of the research itself. So complex is the topic, in fact, that the heated debate it has generated within academia over many years is referred to as “the reading wars”. That’s enough to put anyone off! And yet… even though I received excellent initial teacher training, I had little more than a few hours explicitly learning about how children learn to read. After that, I was left to rely on intuition and observation of more experienced colleagues to work it all out: discerning what the right approach to teaching the sound “ee” to year 1s might be, or helping year 6 infer meaning from a text about character emotions. From conversations with many other colleagues since, I know my experience is far from unusual.

The sale of customised goods or perishable goods, sealed audio or video recordings, or software, which has been opened. The Art and Science of Teaching Primary Reading has the potential to be a catalyst for rich educational discourse about how we ensure absolutely every child becomes a fluent reader. This book is an essential guide for primary teachers that explores the key technical and practical aspects of how children read with strong links to theory and how to translate this into the classroom. Bite-size chapters offer accessible research-informed ideas across all major key topics including phonics, comprehension, teaching children with reading difficulties and strategies for the classroom. Key features include: If that sounds too prescriptive, you needn’t worry. For sure, those looking for that level of support will find it, including how to timetable reading sessions across a week, a helpful breakdown of a suggested timetable and how the sessions might run. But everything in this book is underpinned by a rich wisdom about the art of teaching and the value of experience and expertise. The essential guide to the science behind reading and its practical implications for classroom teaching in primary schools. Teaching children to read is one of the most important tasks in primary education and classroom practice needs to be underpinned by a secure foundation of knowledge. Teachers need to know what reading entails, how children learn to read and how it can be taught effectively.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop