As I Roved Out

As I Roved Out

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Since forming in 2019, Saving Grace have received numerous acclaims for their live shows with Bob Harris describing it as " One of the best gigs I’ve seen in years" and Toni Woodward, Americana UK providing a perfect summary: “…These five musicians have produced a supreme ninety minutes of music with considered interpretations of others’ compositions, ensuring they present an innovative exploration of the songs whilst maintaining their true essence. Furthermore, this odyssey has been undertaken in the spirit of appreciation, musicianship, and exultation: they truly are a band of joy!”. Many of them are called As I Roved Out as it is a common opening line – the musical equivalent of the storyteller’s “Once upon a time”. This was a widely known song in England, and was also popular in Ireland and Scotland. It is one of those which earlier editors, such as Sabine Baring-Gould and Cecil Sharp, felt obliged to soften or rewrite for publication. It was also common on broadsides throughout the nineteenth century" The song contains several lines that can be taken in two ways. The girl says there’s plenty of oats for a horse to eat “if he’s able” and there’s plenty of wine for a soldier boy to drink “if he’s able”.

As I Roved Out - Irish Music Daily Story of the Irish song As I Roved Out - Irish Music Daily

Sometimes it’s the man who makes the running in the relationship but sometimes it’s the girl who takes the lead. Robert Plant’s Saving Grace, the co-operative featuring Suzi Dian (vocals), Oli Jefferson (percussion), Tony Kelsey (mandolin, baritone, acoustic guitar), and Matt Worley (banjo, acoustic, baritone guitars, cuatro) have announced a tour in November 2023.The theme of As I Roved Out is to be found in numerous Irish and British folk songs. The Moore version is similar to an English song called The Trooper and the Maid, and there are many other versions.

I Roved Out / The Soldier and the Seventeen Come Sunday / As I Roved Out / The Soldier and the

Incidentally, Moore often has a little fun with this line in live performances, changing it so it refers to whether the singer is up to the task of making love to the girl. In one version Moore sings: “I got up and pulled off me cap saying I hope to God I’m able.” Irish folk music abounds with songs about young maidens “giving” themselves to rakish men who then abandon them the next morning. For love it is a funny thing, did you ever feel the pain? Walter Pardon sings Let the Wind Blow High or Low But I said, I've lost my waistcoat, my watch chain and my purse! Says she, I've lost my maidenhead, and that's a darned sigh worse! Chorus With my too-run-ra, lilt-fa-laddy Lilt-fa-laddy, too-run-ray [6] Other recordings [ edit ] These can be taken literally but they can also be taken as code for a sexual invitation. In highly religious, Catholic Ireland, it would have been unthinkable for a song to contain more explicit lyrics. Lassie, are you able?

Who are you me pretty fair maid?

The Saving Grace filings are the only trademark applications ever filed by Trolcharm Limited or any other business used by Plant to run his solo career. The Irish Girl / As I Walked Out / Let the Wind Blow High or Low (Roud 308; G/D 5:946; Henry H711) Mainly Norfolk: English There is another song called As I Roved Out by Andy Irvine of Planxty, which we also feature on Irish Music Daily. Whether the words have double meanings or not, the couple end up in bed. The soldier makes the bed with her and sleeps with her after asking “lassie are you able?” In other versions, Moore changes it so it’s the girl who is anxious about whether the singer will be up to the task as she says, “I hope to God you’re able”. When broken shells make Christmas bells

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop