Batman: Second Chances (Batman (1940-2011))

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Boyd Kirkland has listed this episode among his favorite to have worked on during Batman: The Animated Series, due to its great action scenes and exploration of Two-Face. [1] Two-Face's alternate personalities would later come into conflict with one another again in The New Batman Adventures episode " Judgment Day", in which he creates a third persona known as "The Judge", who unknowingly almost kills himself by trying to execute Two-Face. I dislike 402 and 403 pretty heavily. This two-parter follows an insane Batman impersonator who kills criminals. This is an okay premise, but I don't like what it brings out in our hero. Bruce and Jason (Robin) both voice a desire to see petty criminals die for their transgressions and Batman comes off as a violent thug as opposed to an idealistic crusader. While I can appreciate that there are many approaches to depicting the Dark Knight, this isn't "my Batman." Also, at one point Jason references a previous instance where Batman kills somebody. Where did this happen in Post-Crisis continuity, especially this early on? I could have used a footnote on this one. Even Evil Has Standards: The Penguin has done terrible things during his criminal career, but he admits that kidnapping "a fellow rogue" while they're in the hospital is going too far, and he seems disgusted both at being accused of doing so and the fact that someone went that far in the first place. Firstly, Tommy Carma. He believed he was the real Batman and basically was after he found the Batcave and stole the Batmobile!

To start off, I don't know what this collection wants to be. Inside are Batman issues 402-403, 408-416, and half of Annual #11. In theory this collects most of the Post-Crisis issues of Batman before those collected in the Caped Crusader volumes. But if that were the point, why leave out the first Post-Crisis issue, 401? I would understand if they didn't want to include tie-ins, it's a part of the Legends event, but #416 is collected and it ties into to Millennium. I understand leaving out the Year One storyline in 404-407 as that story has become a phenomenon unto itself that is somehow separate from the rest of Batman lore despite defining so much of it. But why leave out Allen Moore's contribution to Annual #11? Frankly that Clayface story which I went out of my way to seek out after reading this is as good or better than the best tale in Second Chances. More criminals are found dead the next night. This time it's an armed robber, who also previously escaped murder charges on a technicality. Batman poses as a reporter named Mr. Davis to ask Gordon questions about the murder right in front of Barnes. Gordon explains that all of the crooks who got off on technicality were arrested by a detective named Tommy Carma. Carma was once the youngest detective in the city, but his constant police brutality allowed many arrested criminals to go free. He snapped after his wife and daughter were killed by a hitman.

One volume collecting both Young Avengers Presents and Dark Reign: Young Avengers – the two miniseries that come between the Heinberg and Gillen runs, and aren't event tie-ins.

This may seem random, but Batman #417-425. I have the "Batman: Second Chances" trade and the "Batman: A Death in the Family" trade, and there's this big uncollected trade-sized gap sitting right between them. Throw in annual #12 there too. Jason did everything from cooking, chores, work, and took care of Alfred. Cass wasn't there anymore. Like Tim, she moved out of Gotham. Jason couldn't blame her, the house was dark, cold, and empty. Did Jason Todd really deserve all that hatred? Based on the stories in this book: no. Max Allan Collins and Jim Starlin do a decent job making him an agreeable sort of fellow. I'm guessing it's the Jason Todd from 1983-86 that got on reader's nerves and sent the lad into an early grave. The complete series of Red Robin. This would fit into two volumes too: one for issues #1-12 (plus "Batgirl" #8) and one for issues #13-26 (plus "Teen Titans" #92). Faked Kidnapping: A strange example in that that the person being kidnapped and doing the kidnapping are one and the same, but the Two-Face personality kidnaps the Harvey Dent one.

Was it destiny that Batman and Jason met so the mentor could give this orphan a better path than he had? They fought side-by-side, battle after battle after battle, sleepless nights, and open wounds, both physical and emotional. When he opened his eyes, he froze for a second. He was expecting to be in a hospital, smelling the familiar scent of antiseptic.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop