Beyond the Wand: The Magic and Mayhem of Growing Up a Wizard

Beyond the Wand: The Magic and Mayhem of Growing Up a Wizard

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Based on my shelves, I can count the number of non-fiction books I have on one hand, but the moment Tom Felton announced this book, I knew. JUST knew I had to read it. Own it. Cherish it. His talk of Emma honestly had me in near tears. It’s a well known fact these two are soul mates, and their friendship is honestly the best and most pure thing you’ll read in here. In her foreword and his chapter about her, the emotion in every single word is THERE. He speaks fondly of all his cast, but I get the sense, some tears and laughs were shed when he wrote about her. It just reads differently--more emotional. More…honest? Just more. I understand and respect their hesitation to ever be more, given their pure friendship, but since she’s uber successful in everything she’s done, and he too, I’d love to see at one point in their lives, even further down the road, them give it a shot. Be the rom-com - one week of trial dating. They’re amazing friends, but love is friendship on fire, and I bet these two would be so good together. Picture their babies… Imagine the Dramoine fics after a real-life situation lol. Although unsaid by both them, you have to wonder if that’s also their hesitation. Its one thing to put aside friendship and see if you can be more but these two are Hermoine and Draco. The media would be NUTS. the Harry Potter fandom would blow up. They’d get hate for “dating the enemy” or they’d get obsessive love for making Dramoine a real thing. Media wouldn’t separate Draco from Tom and Hermoine from Emma, especially if they were dating, and I think it’s sad the celebrity life could be one more thing keeping them apart. Editor's Note: BuzzFeed does not support discriminatory or hateful speech in any form. We stand by the LGBTQ+ community and all fans who found a home in the Harry Potter series and will work to provide a safe space for fans. If you, like us, feel impassioned about trans rights, learn more or donate here.

My first five star read of 2023 and easily one of the best non-fiction books I’ve ever read. Tom has a fun personality and sense of humor that shines through in all his stories. Reading this book was like watching one of his panels at a comic con and it made the experience really enjoyable. If you’ve had the pleasure of meeting Tom and seeing him speak, you’ll know how well he translated his personality into his writing. It is truly phenomenal. What a talent, what a career, what a life, and what a treat to relive it all with this most down-to-earth of demigods.Ok, firstly, wanna say that I grew up reading Draco Malfoy fanfiction, he was my favorite character in HP. And yeah, I realized pretty fast that Tom Felton was nothing like Draco Malfoy, but still, I admired him for portraying Draco so well. I just though that Tom was just a chill boring dude from suburbs in England, obsessed with fishing for some reason. But as it became clear after finishing this book, he’s actually self-obsessed and probably even narcissistic d-bag. TF: That makes it sound like it was a legal affair. It wasn't like that. In fact, Emma [Watson] was a big reason that I sort of decided to make this, really. I think a lot of the stories that I'd written down over the years, I shared with her. She was very encouraging. She read a lot of the early scraps of paper [where I was] just sort of sharing stories. And she was very encouraging to write more and sort of [helped] fill in the blanks as far as to what my normal muggle life was like inside and outside of Potter.

An honest, at times humorous, and entertaining memoir that movie buffs, especially Harry Potter fans, will enjoy."— Library Journal And, most importantly for this particular review: I was a girl that was absolutely obsessed with Draco Malfoy. The biggest takeaway, though: Mr. Felton was an ornery, handful of a child. He got into trouble at home, in school, on the set, and even in rehab, all grown up. Perhaps his parents should write a memoir about what it was like to raise Tom Felton. They would have oodles to write about, I’m sure. Farrah Penn: Have you always known you wanted to write a memoir? And why do you feel like now was the best time?Speaking with candour and his own trademark humour, Tom shares his experience of growing up on screen and as part of the wizarding world for the very first time. He tells all about his big break, what filming was really like and the lasting friendships he made during ten years with the franchise, as well as the highs and lows of fame and the reality of navigating adult life after filming finished. The] hook of Felton’s memoir is his perspective on living a one-in-a-billion experience. Yet “Beyond the Wand” is most insightful when Felton translates his tale into something more universal. Sure, the “boy who lived” was never Draco’s moniker — but considering his eventful existence, it suits Felton just fine.”— The Washington Post FP: You said, I think in the book, that you've read the series once and have watched the films once at their premieres, if I'm remembering correctly. I was curious to know which books and movies are your favorite? TF: I was quite keen to not leave it out, but I didn't really feel the need to talk about it too much. It was only through the encouragement of others who said that it's quite uplifting to hear other people talk about their own struggles. I'm hoping that it will be empowering to other people that they get a chance to know that they're not alone.

Being an actor sure comes in handy when recording an audiobook. Tom Felton’s narration of his memoir, Beyond the Wand, may very well be the best celebrity performance I’ve heard yet. Felton shares so many terrific stories – from his childhood, from his years playing Draco Malfoy on the Harry Potter set, and later, from his battle with depression and substance abuse – and they are all told with refreshing frankness and a dry, acerbic wit. It’s just story after story; laughter followed by more laughter. There was no discussion on set about whether Draco knows for sure if this is Harry. My opinion is that he knows exactly who it is. So why doesn't he say so? The reason, it seems to me, is that the boy who had no choice finally gets one." This is EXACTLY what it says it is, custom tailored for a very specific audience. Accordingly, it does that well, but in the wider world of celebrity memoirs it is a bit one dimensional. But it KNOWS that, you know? I mean, Tom Felton's only like 35... so a fluff memoir about one thing makes sense.FP: I truly am so sorry to hear about Robbie's passing over this past weekend and wanted to just express my deepest sympathies to you and your cast mates. TF: I like to think yes — I think we would do it in a heartbeat. Honestly, if the right project came up. I can't say there's anything on the imminent horizon. But as far as the first question, I've got no idea. I'm afraid you're gonna have to ask her that one. Beyond the Wand]is full of colorful Wizarding World lingo, referring to “aparrating” objects and his “muggle family,” making it fun for die-hard “Harry Potter” fans. . .It’s basically a wizarding world gold mine."— Deseret News From the Publisher Here's my side note ~ there is quite a bit of swearing. I know this is an adult book, but I feel that maybe some parents would read/listen to this one with their Harry Potter loving children, just like I did. Yes my daughter is older and it's not anything she hasn't heard before, but it might not be suitable for the younger ones.

Speaking with candour and his own trademark humour, Tom shares his experience of growing up on screen and as part of the wizarding world for the very first time. He tells all about his big break, what filming was really like and the lasting friendships he made during ten years as part of the franchise, as well as the highs and lows of fame and the reality of navigating adult life after filming finished. FP: I do feel like I need to ask, since at BuzzFeed, we work to provide a safe space for our readers — and Hogwarts has been such a safe space for so many readers and fans throughout the years. But highly criticized anti-trans statements from J.K. Rowling has caused so many to feel excluded, to say the least. I wondered if you had any intention of echoing the sentiments of your cast mates, Dan, Rupert, and Emma and advocating for and standing by trans and nonbinary individuals?The first and only behind-the-scenes Harry Potter memoir from one of the films' biggest stars, Tom Felton From Borrower to wizard, Tom Felton's adolescence was anything but ordinary. His early rise to fame saw him catapulted into the limelight aged just twelve when he landed the iconic role of Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter films. TF: The improvisation of the line "I didn't know you could read" was a very on the day thing. The Voldemort hug — I don't think Ralph [Fiennes] even knew that he was about to hug me. That's why it was so creepy. When his arms are open and, bear in mind, we shot that scene at least 50 times already. I'd already walked past him at least 50 times. And then, that time, when his arms are open, I thought, "There's no bloody way he's trying to hug me. Oh God, he is!" So, that's why I think it was so creepy and so evil [for him to] present a physical sort of affection. I mean, not as much improvising. I know the books were all so rich with characters and content that I'm sure loads of fans out there, like myself, would have wanted. But the truth is the films would have been seven hours long if we put in absolutely everything. So, I think they did a fantastic job fitting in as much as they possibly could. TF: I'll make it an easy answer. No. They weren't impressed then. And they're not impressed now. There's a nice, healthy blasé-ness between my friends and family and all of this, and that's how it should be, really.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop