Arabian Sands (Penguin Classics)

Arabian Sands (Penguin Classics)

RRP: £10.99
Price: £5.495
£5.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

He is known for two travel books: Arabian Sands (1959), which recounts his travels in the Empty Quarter of Arabia between 1945 and 1950 and describes the vanishing way of life of the Bedu; and The Marsh Arabs (1964), which is an account of the Madan, the indigenous people of the marshlands of southern Iraq. The latter journey is also covered by his travelling companion, Gavin Maxwell, in A Reed Shaken by the Wind – a Journey through the Unexplored Marshlands of Iraq ( Longman, 1957; new edition by Eland in 2003). [ citation needed] Thesiger returned to England in the 1990s and was knighted in 1995. [6] Following worthily in the tradition of Burton, Lawrence, Philby and Thomas, it is, very likely, the book about Arabia to end all books about Arabia'

Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger: 9780141442075 Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger: 9780141442075

Whenever anyone approached her she flipped her tail up and down in a ridiculous manner, a sign that she had recently been served successfully..." Giving it competition on the bling front is the 12-tonne chandelier inside the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque – Abu Dhabi’s most magnificent landmark. Visiting during the golden hour, the mosque’s elegant onion-shaped domes were suffused with pale pink light, making the spectacular structure look all the more heavenly. Before leaving Muscat we will visit the Grand Mosque. We then follow the coast down to Wadi Shab and Wadi Tiwi. A beautiful oasis of freshwater pools, Wadi Shab is an ideal place for a photo opportunity. We will then visit Wadi Tiwi where there is the option to walk in the valley, following the pools up through a haven of lush vegetation and palms, before heading to our wild camp at Fins Beach.

Our Leader plans to meet you in the hotel reception at 12pm for the welcome meeting and later to take us on a guided tour of Muscat. Our leader will show us the highlights of the city including visiting the Bait Al Zubair or the National Museum. We will also have the chance to take a stroll along the waterfront of Mutrah, Muscat's oldest quarter and onto the bustling souk. Anon (26 August 2003). "Sir Wilfred Thesiger (obituary)". The Daily Telegraph . Retrieved 21 December 2014. The Al Ain Rotana Hotel is a modern hotel with a big outdoor pool, a sprawling buffet restaurant, and Trader Vic’s bar. Plus, it’s a short walk from the Al Jahili Fort. This edition contains an introduction by Rory Stewart discussing the dangers of Thesiger's travels, his unconventional personality and his insights into the Bedouin way of life. Please note: These activities are booked and paid for direct with the supplier and do not form part of your Explore holiday contract.

Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger - AbeBooks Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger - AbeBooks

Nearly every listing of the best best travel books mentions this book. And it is no surprise: There is nothing quite like it. Most travel book contains vivid descriptions of the landscape. While Thesiger's occasionally describes the deserts physical details, the book is really a study of its the psychological landscape it creates. "I realized that for me the fascina Maitland, Alexander (2006). Wilfred Thesiger: The Life of the Great Explorer. London: HarperPress. ISBN 978-0-002556088. If you enjoyed Arabian Sands, you might like T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom, also available in Penguin Modern Classics Contributions should be appropriate for a global audience. Please avoid using profanity or attempts to approximate profanity with creative spelling, in any language. Comments and media that include 'hate speech', discriminatory remarks, threats, sexually explicit remarks, violence, and the promotion of illegal activity are not permitted.Hour after hour, day after day, we moved forward and nothing changed; the desert met the empty sky always the same distance ahead of us. Time and space were one. Round us was a silence in which only the winds played and a cleanliness which was infinitely remote from the world of men."

Arabian Sands - Penguin Books UK

It is a condition of booking with Explore that you have adequate valid travel insurance. It is your responsibility to arrange appropriate travel insurance and ensure you have read and understood the full terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy to ensure that you are covered for all activities you intend to undertake whilst on the tour, including all optional activities. Your Insurance Policy must fully cover you for medical expenses and emergency repatriation to your home country. Please ensure your policy includes medical emergency helicopter evacuation in the event of illness or injury and covers the entire duration of your holiday. If you are trekking at altitude please ensure that there is no upper altitude limit which may limit or exclude cover for your trip. The cost of many of our Polar Voyages will exceed the capped amount covered by standard insurance premiums and you will be required to pay an additional premium to cover the full value of your trip. Please ensure that you are covered for the full amount of your holiday cost, as insufficient cover could invalidate a claim under the policy. Medical and repatriation insurance cover is not mandatory for UK residents who are travelling on trips within the United Kingdom. But there was a deeper reason that had prompted me to make this journey. I had done it to escape a little longer from the machines which dominated our world... all my life I had hated machines. I could remember how bitterly at school I had resented reading the news that someone had flown across the Atlantic or traveled through the Sahara in a car..."If you want to learn about the Bedu, and more indirectly the Arabs, then there is no greater book for that than Arabian Sands.

Arabian Sands - Wikipedia

a b c Dirda, Michael (10 October 2011). "Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger". Barnes and Noble . Retrieved 21 December 2014.

Paradkar, Shalaka (4 July 2008). "Majid Abdulrazak's dream film". Gulf News . Retrieved 21 December 2014. Eryx jayakari, known commonly as the Arabian sand boa or Jayakar's sand boa, is a species of snake in the family Boidae. [3] The species is endemic to the Arabian Peninsula and Iran where it spends the day buried in the sand. Maitland, Alexander (2004). Thesiger: A Life in Pictures. London: HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-002572248. Reading Arabian Sands was an incredible experience for me, not only because as a standalone work it's the best piece of travel writing I've come across, but also its insight into a people, the Arabs, and religion, Islam, that I had been searching for. It has my strongest recommendation.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop