The 1,000-year-old Boy

The 1,000-year-old Boy

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Roxy: Roxy was made more of a side character, but she is my favorite character of them all. Roxy was the one who brought the three pals together. Even though she's tiny, she's creative, smart, and an incredible actress. She was the one who discovered that Alfie was a 100 years old. She was the one who Alfie trusted first. She was the one who helped save Alfie's life by "acting." I didn't see much character development in her, but her personality was amazing and totally made up for it. Roxy is an outgoing girl, willing to make friends and help out people in need. She is also very curious, and her curiosity moved the story forward, giving it more spice. I love the way Welford writes; he has a real ear for the language that young people use and there are great comic touches in this book which will appeal to kids’ sense of humour. There are some challenging themes here – I read Matt Haig’s How to Stop Timeearlier this year, where the main protagonist has a condition which means he ages extremely slowly. Rather than being some miracle to be aspired to, Tom Hazard, like Alfie Monk in Welford’s book, finds it lonely and isolating because it prohibits normal human relationships. Alfie says throughout that he just wants to be a normal boy, to go to school. At one point he talks heartbreakingly about the “ Prison of my deathless life.” It was a buddy read. I found this amazing book on Goodreads, and ask people if they like to buddy Read the book. Bittersweet, heartwarming and life affirming, Ross Welford has created a wonderful story celebrating friendship, trust and hope, while blending modern living with history. Told from two different perspectives, Alfie and Aidan's stories are woven together seamlessly and it's clear to see how the three main characters use their different strengths to cement their friendship and support each other. It interested me because the boy (Alfie) has a life Pearl and turned it eternal ( well his actual age)was recently found out in the book, his age is 4320!)

The 1,000 Year Old Boy” by Ross Welford Kids book review: “The 1,000 Year Old Boy” by Ross Welford

Stephen has been keeping a secret of unbearable proportions. He can't confide in his foster family, his social worker or his dead-beat father - they wouldn't believe him anyway. There are stories about people who want to live forever. This is not one of those stories. This is a story about someone who wants to stop... Alfie Monk is like any other nearly teenage boy - except he's 1,000 years old and can remember the last Viking invasion of England. Obviously no one believes him. So when everything Alfie knows and loves is destroyed in a fire, and the modern world comes crashing in, Alfie embarks on a mission to find friendship, acceptance, and a different way to live... which means finding a way to make sure he will eventually die.

Education Shed Ltd, Severn House, Severn Bridge, Riverside North, Bewdley, Worcestershire, UK, DY12 1AB I was expecting something different, but this was still a good read. Once I started reading it was difficult to stop - all the characters were amazing and so likeable (especially biffa).

The 1,000-year-old Boy by Welford Ross | Goodreads The 1,000-year-old Boy by Welford Ross | Goodreads

The narrative is split between two points of views –Alfie’s and his friend Aidan’s. This really worked as apart from Alfie narrating his life story, through Aidan’s words we also get to know a real perspective of how the outside world sees him. Rather compelling nonetheless. Who speaks like that?I said to myself. Out loud I said, “You’vereadit?” I give two royal thumbs up to The 1,000-year-old Boy. It will now go down as one of the best books I have read. Highly, highly recommended. SPOILERS MAY BE INCLUDED SPOILERS MAY BE INCLUDED SPOILERS MAY BE INCLUDED SPOILERS MAY BE INCLUDED The only problem is, ‘young’ Alfie is lonely. He craves genuine companionship. But due to his condition, he is never really able to make true friends. You see, after a while, people realize that Alfie doesn’t grow up and see him as a weird kid, eventually abandoning him. After years of facing humiliation and rejection, Alfie has become secluded and avoids human company.Boasts all the ingredients of a great book: brave kids, bold storytelling and a blistering plot. Full of humour and heart’ Abi Elphinstone, author of The Dreamsnatcher These resources are made for Year 6 pupils and will show evidence for a number of reading skills at different abilities. They will help to assess the understanding of the text, characterisation and attitudes along with promoting deep discussion on inference and impression of characters using evidence. This unit also promotes a stamina of reading. Alfie is not like I expected. Not a grown man in a 10 year-olds body. He is wise and has experienced a wide range of things, but being visibly no older than 10 or 11, he is not a grown-up. Alfie has never really done or experienced “grown-up things” or been through puberty. He’s also been living with his mom for a thousand years, and never had the real need of growing up further.

The 1000 Year Old Boy Teaching Resources - Issuu The 1000 Year Old Boy Teaching Resources - Issuu

A heartstopping, poignant, epic adventure story about a boy destined to live forever, who only wants to grow up. Writing: The writing was...eh. It was pretty good, but it was mediocre. However, I did like that Welford wrote the book in two perspectives: Alfie's and Aiden's. It was cool seeing the story in two different ways and I really enjoyed it. It was also pretty interesting reading how Alfie thought different than Aiden because of the huge age gap. Whole Class Reading resources and planning for Year 6 in a zip file based on the first six chapters of Ross Welford’s book ‘The 1,000 Year Old Boy’. Rich and strange (and kitted out with an eye-catching cover), but stronger in the set pieces than the internal logic. Author Luke Palmer introduces his new book, Play (Firefly Press) about four boys growing up together, the challenges, the friendships, and what hap...I really love this book, it's got loads of adventure in it. Alfie is trying to be a normal 11 year old except he's 1000 years old and can remember all the kings, queens and the last Viking invasion in England .

The 1,000-year-old Boy | Book reviews | RGfE The 1,000-year-old Boy | Book reviews | RGfE

As expatiated above, we would be hard-pressed to class The 1,000-Year-Old Boyas historical fiction. So then what of the fantasy genre? This too I feel presents an interesting challenge. While most fantasy novels use fantastical elements to accentuate the novel’s own uniqueness — to wow and hook readers, propelling them into escapist comfort — Welford effectively subverts that notion by presenting the life-pearl, one of the few fantastical elements in the novel, as the central source of distress for the protagonist. Life without death is merely existing; to appreciate all that life has to offer, we must be able to die. So when everything Alfie knows and loves is destroyed in a fire, and the modern world comes crashing in, Alfie embarks on a mission to find friendship, acceptance, and a different way to live…So why not 5 stars? Simply because at the close of this book the agenda becomes clear. It's final message, is the slightly cliche, wish-washy 'Life is better because it's short.' I really enjoyed this book. It has the perfect blend of history and magic. And I instantly loved Alfie. A sweet, young boy who just wants to be a normal and age like a normal boy. He befriends Adrian and Roxy, two curious kids who offer Alfie what he craves the most - Friendship. Alfie monk is left alone all of a sudden, all his life or more appropriately all of his 1000 years of life he had his mother whom he called "mam", but when she dies in a fire accident what will happen to him? Will he remain a child forever? Will his secrets be found out by the public? This is the best book I have ever read! My favourite character is Roxy because of her great acting skills and ability to think fast.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop