Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao

Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao

RRP: £12.99
Price: £6.495
£6.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Both these book have beautiful, colorful illustrations and would be quite an attraction for the kids. The innocence on the face of Amy and her big curious eyes will make her character lovable and the kids will find a friend in her. The opportunity to see people like yourself in media is such a big deal, and honestly, something I don’t think I fully grasped until I was older. As a kid, I don’t remember specifically thinking that I wished there were more Asian-American characters in media. But not seeing myself reflected in the books and movies I consumed definitely contributed to my internalizing a lot of things as a kid about what sort of things I “fit” into. I was perpetually on the outside looking in. I hope that AMY WU is just one more opportunity for a kid to recognize themselves in Amy’s family. And of course, on the other side of things, I hope it lets non-Asian American kids explore a culture different from their own. The kitchen stove in the story is more or less based on my actual stove. It’s a gas stove, because I’ve cooked with gas all my life. My mum cooked with gas, and my grandmothers did too (one grandmother liked using charcoal as well, but that’s another story). The rice cooker also looks similar to the cooker I grew up with, although the one I use now looks different. Amy is a vivid little girl who lives with her mom and dad and grandma. They have a loving supportive family that's brought to life through the bright illustrations with little smiles. The pictures just exude happiness.

We love this sneak peek into this family’s home and meal-time tradition. It reminds us of cooking together with our own families. With the help of little hands sometimes the recipes don’t come out exactly right, but memories are made and (hopefully) the food is just as delicious. We may not be making bao, but the idea is the same. Families eating together and working through frustration is a common experience no matter who you are. At the end of the story, Amy offers her bao to her classmates. What do you think her classmates thought of that? Would eat it? Why or why not? What would you say? There is a problem, though, when they make bao* together as a family Amy's don't turn out perfect. They're too stuffed or they're ugly. Her parents and grandma encourage her and give advice but Amy has a realization and comes up with her own solution. It works very well. In 2017, The Emperor's Riddle won an honorable mention for the NCTA's Freeman Award. [4] It also won a Parent's Choice Award. [3] Recently a film by Pixar called “Bao” received the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film at the 91st Academy Awards. The short featured a Canadian-Chinese mother whose son grew up and moved away, so she was feeling lonely. Enter a perfect, plump bao to give her a second chance at motherhood.The first Amy Wu picture book, Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao, received a starred review from Kirkus, [21] and was a Kirkus Best Picture Book of 2019. [22] It was also chosen as a First and Best 2019 book by the Toronto Public Library. [23] References [ edit ] Artists often have a very unique signature style. What would you say are the elements of yours? Do you feel like it’s still evolving a lot, or something that’s remained stable? The first book is a look at perseverance in young kids. Amy Wu is excited to make Bao (Chinese dumplings) along with her family. It is a family activity and all of them sit together to roll and fill the dumplings. Amy can't make dumplings as good as her parents or grandma. The book tells us how she still perseveres, does not give up and comes up with an idea to make the perfect dumplings. What a cover! Not only is there a perfect bao, but Amy and her kitty are pretty darn adorable, too. When have you tried something really hard? How did you feel when you failed? What did you do to overcome those feelings?

James, Thea (September 13, 2013). "Book Review: Once We Were by Kat Zhang". The Book Smugglers . Retrieved June 8, 2016. I recommend it to anyone who likes good quality picture books with high re-readability. It's a sweet story with cute pictures. There's nothing in it to bother a sensitive child, like bullying or meanness, and it encourages children to think about solutions instead of just asking someone to solve it for them before trying. Amy Wu is a young Asian child who is exploring her culture and identity alongside her supportive family – in this book, she is trying to make the perfect bao (the book provides a great definition of bao and a pronunciation guide for outsiders!). However, Amy is having trouble with her bao because it just never comes out perfect like everyone else’s in the family does. Eventually, Amy’s grandmother helps her cut the dough in half, which makes it easier for Amy to roll out and stuff with meat, and suddenly Amy makes perfect bao. Notably, she says the ‘imperfect’ ones taste just as good (a good lesson!).Condie, Ally (November 9, 2012). " 'Beta' and 'What's Left of Me' ". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331 . Retrieved October 2, 2019. Sometimes people will say “mistakes are proof that you are learning.” How can mistakes and wrong answers be helpful? Her two upcoming Middle Grade novels will be released in 2017 and 2018 with Simon & Schuster. The first, The Emperor's Riddle, is about hidden treasure, lost aunts, and China. The second, The Memory of Forgotten Things, is about parallel universes (again), solar eclipses, and misfit children. Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao” by Kat Zhang and illustrated by Charlene Chua is a beautiful book about a young girl learning to make homemade Bao. Her family members each give her suggestions that work for them, but as much as she tries it just doesn’t work for her. Even though she almost felt defeated, she perseveres and in the end realizes what works for her. The second book in the series is once again a look at Amy Wu's creativity. At craft time in school all kids are supposed to make a dragon and Amy's dragon is similar to the Chinese dragons from the stories she has heard from her grandma. All her friends think it does not look like a dragon at all. Amy tries to create another type of dragon, but it does not feel right to her. She once again comes up with an idea to create something which she loves and get others on board too.

Place the about 5 to 6 bao on each layer of the steamer. Carefully put the steamer in the simmering water and steam the bao for 10 minutes. The bao before I put the lid on to steam them. Then Amy realizes the dough is cut for grown-up sized hands. She asks her grandmother to cut smaller pieces. Amy adds the filling and pinches the sides closed. It’s perfect! She does it again and again then it is time to put the bao in the steamer to cook.

Amy Wu series is picture book and it was very easy to read for me. I like Amy because she never gives up and comes up with ideas to achieve her goal. AMY WU AND THE PERFECT BAO is my debut picture book, and seeing Charlene’s illustrations has honestly been one of the most thrilling parts of the whole process! I had a general idea of how I pictured the characters and illustrations, but I was eager to see how an illustrator interpreted the text and the characters as well. Charlene did such an amazing job giving Amy’s family dimension and character through the illustrations, and I especially loved the addition of the little kitty, who wasn’t mentioned at all in the original text. Now I can’t imagine the book without it! Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao melds together the richness of classic children's books storytelling with the cheery conciseness of newer picture books. A wonderful recipe is provided at the end of the story for families and children to make perfect bao, too. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine 3½ cups of the flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp salt and 1/4 cup sugar.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop