Theatre of Marvels: A thrilling and absorbing tale set in Victorian London

Theatre of Marvels: A thrilling and absorbing tale set in Victorian London

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Severin, Steven, StevenSeverin.com, Jan 29, 2001. Accessed via The Internet Archive, 9 November 2008 A dazzling tale of self-discovery with a cast of vivid characters, I loved it' LAURA PURCELL, author of The Silent Companions Dillsworth's depiction of Victorian London is detailed and accurate. Her character Zillah brings to the fore a part of Victorian London's population whose lives have been too little represented in historical fiction set in this era. If you're looking for an historical novel that has a gripping plot and simultaneously offers complex questions about identity and justice, Theatre of Marvels will delight you. The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels is a group of occultists and performers including writer and magician Alan Moore, Bauhaus member David J, and musician Tim Perkins, who perform occult "workings" consisting of prose poetry set to music. Several of these "workings" have been released onto CD. It was also the name of the group's first performance piece which was released as a spoken word CD in 1996.

Theatre of Marvels by Lianne Dillsworth (9781529158595 Theatre of Marvels by Lianne Dillsworth (9781529158595

But when a new stage act disappears, Zillah is haunted by a feeling something’s amiss. Her pursuit of the truth leads her into the underbelly of the city, as she seeks the help of notorious criminals from her past whilst being torn between two wealthy suitors. Loved Lianne Dillsworth's Theatre of Marvels. A gripping story about identity and belonging with a strong sense of place. Can't wait for everybody to meet Zillah who is such strong and nuanced heroine. - Laure Van Rensburg There are rivalries with fellow actresses, and well-meaning Quakers who work toward a better society. Much of the characterisation is tissue-thin, however, and a few turns of phrase felt not of the time period (describing someone as being in a “pissy mood”; “If he was in this much of a funk there’d be no getting through to him. I might as well go to bed before he killed my mood completely.”). All told, this never lived up to its first paragraph –Theatre of Marvels is a compelling, big-hearted story that whips the reader along, and I loved seeing Victorian London through the eyes of its strong female protagonist' ROSIE ANDREWS, author of The Leviathan You’re busy. So this video is less than one minute long. Press the PLAY button to enjoy a sneakpeek. Zillah was certainly the star of this story and her determination was not only admirable but very brave. I was pleased with how her story turned out and the independence she gained but I also felt sorry for the love she had lost on more than one occasion. Barky was my favourite character, the protective nature in him and how he helped Zillah just melted my heart. Theatre of Marvels is a fascinating, empowering story of a young woman's search for identity and justice in Victorian London, a world which Lianne Dillsworth evokes so richly.' I love some of the characters in the book and equally feel total unease towards others. The amicable Barky being a particular favorite. The writer is very successful in evoking your emotions towards most of the characters while the duality and complexity of the characters are beautifully portrayed. Zillah is a great character equally vulnerable and strong at times as she questions her own place in society.

Theatre of Marvels Introducing | Theatre of Marvels

A story that shines a spotlight into the shadows of the 19th century, while also exploring very relevant themes of identity. So fantastic to read a novel that centres POC in the Victorian era. Loved it!' SAARA EL-ARIFI, author of The Final Strife This was absolutely incredible! It’s richly detailed, emotionally thought provoking and utterly addictive, I literally sped through most of it in a single evening, a true testament to Dillsworth’s exceptional writing skills.

Zillah is a likeable, relatable protagonist and I loved watching her character develop as the story progressed; I totally rooted for her from beginning to end. Her supporting cast are a mixed bunch of mostly downright detestable characters. The trio's second performance (and technically their first CD release) was The Birth Caul (A Shamanism of Childhood), a spoken word piece by Moore with music by David J and Tim Perkins. The performance took place at the Old County Court in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, on 18 November 1995, and was released on 5 March 1996 by Charrm (CHARRMCD22). [2] This was performed on 2 February 2001 at The Purcell rooms as part of the "Tygers of Wrath" evening of readings and performances celebrating the life of William Blake. [9] Moore and Perkins performed alongside Jah Wobble and Billy Bragg. As for the writing itself. There were parts where it felt clunky and off from the rest of the story. The characters while well flushed out had relationships that were either hastily developed or just not there except I will say that the relationship Zillah had with the Leopard Lady and Barky was really well fleshed out and I loved it. I also think the ending was rushed and could have been longer to truly get some messages across.

Theatre of Marvels by Lianne Dillsworth | Goodreads Theatre of Marvels by Lianne Dillsworth | Goodreads

I had no idea that this was a YA novel, but wasn’t phased at all, as I have read and thoroughly enjoyed YA books in the past. History Makers: Female Writers Dominate the 2023 William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award Shortlist However, whilst this book may be a useful tool for an educator, for me it missed the mark. The writing was definitely dumbed down for the younger market, so much so that the language and experiences used were totally out of keeping for the period. The narrative was slow and the repetition spoilt the flow of the story.

In 1998, after completing the artwork for From Hell, Moore played the CD recording to artist Eddie Campbell, who immediately asked if he could do a pictorial interpretation; this was self-published by Campbell in 1999. [5] In 2005, it was reprinted as part of Moore and Campbell's A Disease of Language. Warren Ellis called it an "excellent adaptation." [1] Best Books Set in the 1920s — from Stories That Shimmer with Champagne and Social Change, to Rip-roaring Reads Covering Crime, Colonialism and Beyond. A startling, original and utterly compelling novel which subtly navigates the core issues of race, gender and class' MARY CHAMBERLAIN, author of The Dressmaker of Dachau

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop