The Lost Whale: A powerful animal adventure story for children, from the bestselling author of The Last Bear

£9.9
FREE Shipping

The Lost Whale: A powerful animal adventure story for children, from the bestselling author of The Last Bear

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The winners of The Farshore Reading for Pleasure Teacher Awards 2023, highlighting the work schools are doing to encourage a love of reading, have... A beautiful story . . . My heart went out to Bear and April and the lost environments of the north. This is a hugely important and moving read, that shows just what toll climate change is taking on the natural world' Lauren James, author of The Quiet at the End of the World Simply beautiful - tender, heartfelt and hopeful with such crystal-clear storytelling. . . Rio and White Beak's story will stay with me for a long time' Sophie Kirtley, author of The Wild Way Home I always try to do my writing in the morning, otherwise I'll just talk myself out of it. My new favourite spot is on the sofa in our conservatory where there's lots of plants and natural sunlight. I like my writing zone to be gentle and soft. Sometimes my cat will sit beside me to keep me company and then get annoyed when I am not giving her enough fuss! Rio feels completely out of place in California. He has been sent to stay with his Grandmother who is nothing like he imagined. She’s tall and thin and seems uncomfortable around him. The last time she saw him, he was a tiny baby in his mother’s arms. Now mum is in a special hospital for the illness that has moulded Rio’s life. Even at only age eleven he has always looked after his mum, whether it be making meals, getting her a cup of tea in the middle of the night, or holding her hand when she is really sad.

What surprised you most when you were researching whales for this book - and what are your top three Whale Facts? There are no words to describe how much I hated this book, but I'll do my best so you don't make the same mistake. A message from the author, Hannah Gold; Ever since I was in my early twenties and first saw a grey whale, these gentle giants of the sea have always fascinated me. Years later, just before the start of the pandemic, I returned to Baja, California, and spent four life-changing days on marine protected waters. There was one moment that will stay with me forever – the sight of a grey whale staring up at me from beneath the water, her gaze fixed steadfastly upon mine. A raíz de eso, la soledad y la conexión con otras personas (y seres) también son un tema prevalente en el libro.

About Author

Kudos to the author, Hannah Gold for her successfully weaving a beautiful,inspiring and eye-opening story by blending extremely well two important issues, that are mental health illness and ocean conservations through this story.

Reading about the unique interactions the writer collected over years …not only his own interactions but the interactions and experience of the many individuals from scientists, observers, residents, volunteers, etc….who engaged with Luna, opened my eyes and perception to the reality that communication is more than just words spoken. That what we interpret as “human” intelligence that puts us above all other living creatures is actually “human” ignorance. We fail to recognize that communication is synonymous to connection, and our connection to the world around us is limited bc we cannot comprehend any other sense of communication other than speech. By the author of the stunning novel The Last Bear, The Lost Whale is just as heart wrenching about a child and an animal. These children have had to make tough grown-up decisions, and stand up for what they have come to love, and even put their own selves at risk for beautiful creatures. The Lost Whale explores the environmental impact that humans have on the oceans, like your debut The Last Bear. Why do you focus on environmental issues in your stories, and why did you want to feature a whale in this story? Muy lindo el libro y el tema que trata sobre las ballenas, bueno el daño hacia el medio ambiente que cometemos los seres humanos.Dive into this incredible story about the connection between a boy and a whale and the bond that sets them both free. Perfect for readers of 8+, beautifully illustrated throughout by Levi Pinfold - winner of the Kate Greenaway Medal and illustrator of Harry Potter 20th anniversary edition covers. One day, Rio discovered that White Beak,the Grey whale has gone missing. He instinctively felt that the whale is still alive and is in trouble. Without much ado, he went all out to search for the whale and save it with the help from his friend, Marina and her father, Birch who are operating the whale watching tour. For Rio, White Beak is the only hope of reconnecting with his own mother and the two (Rio and White Beak shared some kind of deep connection between them when the latter saved him from drowning when he fell off the boat during one of the whale watching trips he had previously). So, now it is his turn to repay the whale by saving her. "I will look after you", Rio promised. "I will keep you safe", just like his promise to his mother.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop