The Break

The Break

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

In actual fact she was the least bad role model that ever lived, but she’s upset me. Surely, all things considered, I’m deserving of sympathy. If only it was that simple. She hadn’t read Hugh’s letter so she didn’t know the torment he was in. Letting him leave was my best chance of saving my marriage. Probably.

The Break by Katherena Vermette | Goodreads

The things I liked about this novel were the realism of the situation, the strong women, and the family unity that is shown as they come together to support these young women. The large cast of characters, however, kept me from connecting to any of them in particular. There was much dialogue, conversations that seemed excessive, in fact much of the book seemed to be made up of conversations between various family members. Sharing their stories and family situations. Unfortunately I didn't find much in them that I found interesting. My favorite character was the grandmother, they called her the kakoom, and she was the matriarch of the family. I appreciated her quiet wisdom. Nach und nach enthüllt sich ein düsteres Bild der Familie Traverse. Wer hier einen polizeilichen Ermittlungskrimi erwartet, liegt falsch. Viel mehr geht es darum die Hintergründe der Tat zu beleuchten. Es geht um starke Frauen ( die weiß Gott stark sein müssen), Männer kommen in diesem Buch nicht gut weg. Es ist aus mehreren vorwiegend weiblichen Sichtweisen geschrieben, es bleiben immer Geheimnisse unausgesprochen, manches muss sich der Leser zwischen den Zeilen selbst erarbeiten. Da lohnt sich aber das aufmerksame Lesen. When Shawn Mooney first came on the Reading Envy Podcast in January 2017, he discussed this book. That episode is even named after a quote from the book.

Best Western news & offers by email

Looking for a book to read in 2021? Explore this list of the best books. This list was curated with thanks to ISBNdb and images partially provided by Unsplash.

Star Breaks in 2023 | Warner Leisure Hotels Star Breaks in 2023 | Warner Leisure Hotels

You must vacate your lodge by 10am on your departure day and are welcome to stay on village until midnight There's a lot of action, and while that makes for entertaining reading, I started to roll my eyes at the amount of times Jeremiah narrowly escaped death and how many times he was seriously injured. BREAK is a story about a family, each of is broken in very different ways. It's a difficult book to read on many levels and a brilliant book given that Hannah Moskowitz was still in high school when she wrote it. In Elsewhere, Rosie Boland reflects on thirty years of traveling solo around the globe. Boland shares in intimate detail her experiences in some of the most remote places on Earth and how travel can change your life. Through joy and heartache, Boland sees the beauty and majesty of the world bloom before her. A powerful intergenerational family saga, The Break showcases Vermette's abundant writing talent and positions her as an exciting new voice in Canadian literature."

Postcard

I did find this book to be well-written, and I really admire the skill it takes to convincingly wrap words together to form a story that wouldn't let me go. The story opens with Stella, shaken and afraid, providing two police officers with the details of a very violent crime that she saw take place through her window in the middle of the night. The officers have different opinions on the information they get from Stella - the older assuming it's just gang violence, and the younger sensing that something more vicious has taken place. What follows is a perfectly crafted account of not only the crime, but everything that surrounds it. Vermette dives into social issues, gang violence, police apathy, racism, alcoholism, spousal abuse, and what it means to live life in a broken system. It's gritty, it's bleak, it's real. By the end I understood nothing, in fact I might have understood more by the middle of the book based on my own assumptions rather than whatever the hell the story line turned into... But rookie Officer Tommy Scott, himself Metis, persists when his older (white) partner is ready to close the case, and the appearance of a horrifically injured teenaged girl in the Emergency Department of the local hospital validates his instincts. As the girl’s family gather around to provide support, the reader learns not just her story, but those of her extended family and close friends.

Midwinter Break by Bernard MacLaverty review - The Guardian

When I first saw The Break at the bookstore it caught my interest but I decided against it as it had a trigger warning for violence. I can be sensitive to violence however knowing in advance it does take some of the sensitivity away. I saw it again at the library and knew then that I was going to have to read it. It was definitely a good read for me. I felt that Katherena Vermette handled the violence well and is so well written that I didn't feel sensitive towards it at all. What is love? How do we practice it? And can we do it better? bell hooks explores the concept of love and the cultural norms and expectations surrounding it. In All About Love, hooks’ challenges the idea that romantic love is the ideal love. She opens readers up to the idea that love is something that goes beyond sex and desire; it is a healing, uniting force that can exist between all individuals, groups, and nations. All our breaks start or end on a Monday or Friday, although festive breaks will sometimes be different For any family looking for a mini adventure away or an easy break, Center Parcs should be on your radar. It’s suitable for children of all ages.”

Thank you so much to Edelweiss, House of Anansi Press, and Katherena Vermette for the opportunity to read a copy of this book in exchange for a review. Moskowitz has a poet’s sensibilities in her tight, terse sentences, choosing every word for its merit rather than the beauty of its sound as it rolls off the tongue. If you have a sensitivity for the “F” bomb (which the writer uses with regularity), Break might turn you off, but understand that her choice to include such language is completely in alignment with Jonah’s character. The dialogue is true to type, and honest in its presentation. More compelling is the fact that Moskowitz wrote Break from an entirely male perspective, while she is female, not a small feat in any literary undertaking.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop