A Spoonful of Murder: The first book in a hilarious and totally unputdownable cosy murder mystery series for fans of The Thursday Murder Club

£9.9
FREE Shipping

A Spoonful of Murder: The first book in a hilarious and totally unputdownable cosy murder mystery series for fans of The Thursday Murder Club

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

And if it hadn't been a Thursday . . . if it hadn't been the garden centre cafe . . . they wouldn't have met Topsy and KellyAnne and, crucially, Thelma wouldn't have come across Topsy crying in the toilets, which they all agreed was really the start of things. The three retired ladies, Thelma, Pat, and Liz, who all taught at the same Primary school together, met weekly for a coffee and chat. One week they saw an ex-colleague and friend who appeared to be in trouble and set them on the path of trying to find out what was going on, especially when she was found dead the following week.

EXCERPT: Since they'd all been retired (Pat two years, Thelma and Liz four) it had to be said the weekends had somewhat lost that special quality - that snatched, hallowed glow. Truth be told, the days even held a certain . . . sameness - Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays - a sameness to be fought against with book groups and keep fit classes and stints in the charity shop. Fought against, but not admitted to. Sinister envelopes have been delivered to neighbors and friends of the three women and these reveal secrets from the past that for years they have been trying to keep hidden. There are twists and turns all the way through so that it’s a real treat trying to work out quite what crime has been committed and by whom. Fast-paced and emotional In 2021, his first novel was published by Harper Collins. " A Spoonful of Murder" introduced us to the unlikely crime-solving trio of retired teachers Liz, Thelma and Pat. These wonderfully warm and funny characters took on a life of their own and spawned a series of cosy crime novels. The eagerly awaited second novel was published in March 2023 and the third is already well underway.Three Miss Marples for the price of one... The plot is carefully assembled, rather like a patchwork quilt, with each element placed just so’ NetGalley review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

THE AUTHOR: J.M. Hall is a 20-something PR executive based in New York City. A Philadelphia native, he began writing fiction during his time at the University of Miami before embarking on a career in corporate communications. During the day, he can be found getting top-tier press for his clients in outlets such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNBC, Fortune and USA Today. It's always great for me to begin a new cosy mystery series, and this is especially true when the setting is relatively local. The characters were well done and the endi But they know there's more to Topsy's death than meets the eye - and it's down to them to prove it... Oh how brilliant was this book?! I must have read it in about two servings as I just couldn't put it down… Had great comical moments throughout. A really good murder mystery book’ NetGalley review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Liz, a seasoned gardener, anxious grandmother to Jacob, life-long worrier with a sweet and sensitive conscience, is the heart-and-soul of the group, most likely to be on hand when someone is needed “to dispense tissues, wipes, and make gentle conversation”. This book is a joy, I really really loved it.. I really liked the three ladies and I was invested in their lives. Fabulous, cosy, mystery… Wonderful… Absolutely perfect for fans of Richard Osman!’ NetGalley Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Alongside the fast paced, humorous, story there are some weightier themes; including the threat of dementia and the manipulative exploitation of the vulnerable or elderly, so that whilst this is a relatively light-hearted read, there’s considerable light and shade to enjoy too. Not only is the story beguiling and diversionary, but it’s cautionary and educational. Marriages are destroyed, careers come to an end and almost everyone comes under suspicion. It seems there is something very sinister behind the happenings and it may be very close to home than they all think.

The Yorkshire setting feels absolutely right for the narrative and J.M. Hall’s style made me think often of Alan Bennett or Victoria Wood so that reading A Spoonful of Murder brought a real smile to my face. That said, as the threads of the plot are drawn together so successfully at the end, there are moments that bring an emotional lump to the throat too. Three Miss Marples for the price of one… The plot is carefully assembled, rather like a patchwork quilt, with each element placed just so’ NetGalley review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ But they know there’s more to Topsy’s death than meets the eye – and it’s down to them to prove it… I think that good characters are an absolute must for a successful cosy mystery and this book didn’t disappoint. Pat, Liz and Thelma are a group of brilliant personalities and they all bring something different to the table. Cosy mystery at its best with a cast of loveable characters, a truly satisfying read!’ NetGalley review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Toys

It’s cute and charming to have elderly people teamed up to solve a crime. Although the beginning of the story is a slow-paced for me, I’m glad to be entertained by these three nosy retired teachers who have involved themselves in solving a mystery. In ‘A Spoonful of Murder‘ we meet Liz, Pat and Thelma. Three retired schoolteachers who meet up with each other every Thursday (and there’s a completely believable reasoning behind why it has to be a Thursday) for cake, coffee and a chat about children and grandchildren. But then a former colleague is found dead and their weekly meetings turn a little something darker. Because Topsy may have died looking all peaceful and whatnot in her comfy chair, the three friends know deep down there’s a lot more to it than that. Now they just have to prove it. J.M. Hall’s novel “A Spoonful of Murder” introduces Thelma, Pat, and Liz who are three women that meet up for coffee every Thursday at the Thirsk Garden Centre Cafe.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop