The Man I Think I Know: A feel-good, uplifting story of the most unlikely friendship

£9.9
FREE Shipping

The Man I Think I Know: A feel-good, uplifting story of the most unlikely friendship

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Beautifully written, thought-provoking and completely charming . . . reminds us that the everyday things we take for granted without realising how precious they are, can be snatched away in an instant with catastrophic consequences’ Ruth Hogan Depressed and unemployed, Danny is facing an ultimatum from his girlfriend Maya: if he doesn't get out and get a job, she's leaving.

Take a Look at Our Summary of November Highlights, Whether You're Looking for the Latest Releases or Gift Inspiration My first paid writing gig was for a listings magazine in Birmingham — (Actually my first unpaid writing gig was an interview with Kitchens of Distinction for Salford Student Magazine. I can’t begin to tell you how terrible it was.) Mike Gayle has done an amazing job here. He shows how so many peoples lives can be affected by any single incident. This is one of those books that is tugging on your heartstrings one moment and has you laughing out loud the next - another stunning plot line and narrative from Mike Gayle.'

Summary

PDF / EPUB File Name: The_Man_I_Think_I_Know_-_Mike_Gayle.pdf, The_Man_I_Think_I_Know_-_Mike_Gayle.epub It doesn't necessarily take a bad man to commit an action that can have serious repercussions to many: it can just take a good man making a bad decision. There are many touching and heartfelt moments in this novel. I personally loved It. Something about this book gripped me. It was cheesy in parts, so cheesy that I’d usually be rolling my eyes, some parts were ridiculously predictable, but for some reason, I liked it.“The Man I Think I Know” definitely has similarities to Gayle’s “ Wish You Were Here“. Both books are light-hearted, both focus on male friendship and both are uplifting but if you made me choose, I’d have to say this was the better of the two.

Having been a great fan of Mike Gayle since reading his first novel "My Legendary Girlfriend" I am always impatiently waiting for his new release. This time he let us wait long but it was worth the wait, as I think that "The Man I Think I Know" must be his best novel yet. Mike Gayle has always been a champion of writing about relationships but this time he's opted for a different one, this of a friendship, and still he pulled it off completely, delivering a fantastic, emotional and realistic story. I had a feeling that few of Mike Gayle's last books were a little different in tone but this book seems like a new direction - it's mature, it's powerful yet it still reads like other books by this author. I could see parts of myself in both characters, not the clever parts but elements of their lives and minds trying to come to terms with and deal with unexpected tragic events that can occur throughout life. I loved it and could see myself taking on a role if it's ever turned into a movie or television drama. Wink Wink! Right, where's that number for acting lessons? It was an accident that changed James’s life and now he is looked after affectionately by his parents. But his sister Martha believes that the role of full-time carers is destroying their lives – and infantilising her brother. Two brilliantly written characters: Danny, who starts off looking like a tragic case of 'What's the point of it all? Why bother working when I can just sit on the sofa watching tv? There is nothing out there in the world I want or need.' Danny though hides a past of high intellect and family tragedy. This is the stunning new novel from bestselling author Mike Gayle, for fans of The Keeper of Lost Things and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. A powerful and bittersweet story of an unexpected male friendship and an unlikely love story, a thought provoking storyline told with Mike’s distinctive wit and insight, touching on issues which affect us all. This uplifting tale reminds us of the simple courage at the heart of every human being. Ever since The Incident, James DeWitt has stayed on the safe side. He likes to know what happens next. Danny Allen is not on the safe side. He is more past the point of no return. The past is about to catch up with both of them in a way that which will change their lives forever, unexpectedly. But redemption can come in the most unlikely ways. The Man I Think I Know by Mike Gayle – eBook Details

A very special book. A moving, thought-provoking storyline told with humour and insight. I loved the distinctive voices of James and Danny and really missed them when I finished it! (Tracy Rees) Whatever their friends and teachers might have expected, neither Danny nor James is currently running the country. Jalan ceritanya agak mudah. Tidaklah begitu sukar untuk difahami. Kisah persahabatan yang terjalin antara dua manusia, James dan Danny, yang asalnya pernah satu sekolah tapi tak pernah bersahabat.

It’s a question all of us find ourselves asking at some time and Mike Gayle’s powerful, poignant novel answers it with regard to Danny Morgan and James McManus – rivals for top honours in everything throughout their school years in Birmingham. However, the dialogue was the most frustrating part for me. It was unbelievably unrealistic and it felt stilted and forced. Normal conversations were turned into arguments in a matter of seconds with no build up, and there were too many clichés in this book to count, including the typical argument conclusion "it's not fair!" from a grown woman, and the classic "my heart feels like it has just broken into a million tiny pieces." I have no comment. What an incredible book! It's so deeply moving and honest. The story alternates between James and Danny and their very different perspectives and problems, both men were such wonderfully vivid and realistic characters that it felt like Gayle was describing a real story. Danny's tale and perspective is brilliantly written, but James's is out of this world. My hat is truly off to Gayle, he's crafted something amazing. Secrets and procrastination are a part of everyone's lives whereas inspiration and confessions are less common - here we see all four and they make for a good story.Mike is always wise and wonderful, but this is a whole new departure for him - read it!' Jenny Colgan What I am delighted to be able to say was that I was gripped and moved by the story, I just wanted more and more of these two remarkable young men and their stories. The book alternates viewpoints between James and Danny and I loved getting to know both of them on many levels.

Overall rating:“The Man I Think I Know” is a lovely story of male friendship and overcoming life’s difficulties. It may be cheesy and predictable in parts, but it works and I’ve returned this book to the library with a smile on my face. Mike Gayle‘s getting 4 stars from me for this one. I felt more aware of Acquired Brain Injury after finishing this. It really is an astounding novel! I really appreciate storylines like this where there is a deeply moving story that also helps raise awareness. That rarest of things; a moving, beautifully written novel about male friendship...I absolutely loved it' Lisa Jewell When I first started reading the way the Character of James was written I thought, Hmm! I don't know if I can be dealing with what seemed like awkward writing making for awkward reading. I couldn't have been more wrong. A new voice in my head took on the role of James in the book. I put that down to superb writing.I'm not sure that the author has the rules right about prison and parole but adapts for dramatic effect. Sebenarnya boleh saja, dengan kawalan yang cermat saya boleh saja kembali aktif. Perlu tahu had diri. Itu saja. The past catches up with the present when James, is sure he recognises Danny at the respite home. Danny is not that welcoming at the start, but when James is put into a situation where he just wants independence from his parents, Danny seems the perfect choice as a carer.... The Man I Think I Know by Mike Gayle is amazing! Really uplifting and a jolly good read to boot -- Katie Fforde Then there is James, who suffered a brain injury after being hit from behind while out celebrating being elected as an MP. Two men who were destined for great things derailed by the actions of others.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop