The Trespasser's Companion

The Trespasser's Companion

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Mary Rudy, an archaeologist, introduced me to Freeman Tilden’s work ‘Interpreting our Heritage’ from the 1950s. It’s mental, but we are all so used to it no-one ever questions it. The moment you do, that’s the moment it collapses. We are not letting the conversation end and the conversation will be the thing that kills total dominion of land. This is an excellent police procedural and, to my mind, Tana French's best book yet. At its center is Detective Antoinette Conway who is new to the Dublin Murder Squad and who has gotten a very cool reception. Many of her new mates actively dislike her; she's subjected to continued harassment, and she's assigned a lot of crap cases. Völker, Sebastian., Kistemann, Thomas, 2011.The impact of blue space on human health and well-being - Salutogenetic health effects of inland surface waters: A review. International journal of hygiene and environmental health.

This story has more bumps and dings than an automobile in a crash. Things look one way and then another. The more evidence they find the more complicated they get. The interrogation scenes are masterfully done. This is an combination of a character driven novel and a police procedural. Not easy to do, may account for the length of the book, but French does these type of things very well. The Countryside Code: Advice for Countryside Visitors’, GOV.UK< https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-countryside-code/the-countryside-code-advice-for-countryside-visitors> [accessed 7 November 2022]

And that her death won’t stay in its neat by-numbers box. Other detectives are trying to push Antoinette and Steve into arresting Aislinn’s boyfriend, fast. There’s a shadowy figure at the end of Antoinetteʼs road. Aislinnʼs friend is hinting that she knew Aislinn was in danger. And everything they find out about Aislinn takes her further from the glossy, passive doll she seemed to be. This can be a book club to learn about land jusice history, a mapping workshop to get confident navigating or exhibitions connecting with artists to explore the injustice in your area. All you Tana French fans out there, I'm late to the party. Yes, "The Trespasser" is my introduction to The Dublin Murder Squad Series. but she won't let anyone see that part of her. She's also a damn great detective. She has a photogenic memory which is a handy talent to have in her line of work. You know, I actually have very little author loyalty. By that I mean I can easily dislike a book by an author I have previously loved, and vice versa - a second or third chance can lead to a new favourite. But at this point, I feel completely safe going into Tana French's novels. I settle down to read them with such faith in the author because she is so consistently good. For me, I don't have to wonder whether this one will be good, or that one will be good, because the author just is that good.

I did notice--as I often do in a French book--that I stuttered on her mechanisms, the details of her plotting. I realized--even as I read it--that a particular device was used to allow the plot to go the direction it did. It felt a little obvious, maybe even a little cheap, but like the old, old lover/friend/enemy who knows where each button is and how to best employ it, it didn't matter. I still finished the story exhausted, relieved, drained.a final word on partnership. seriously - conway and moran are perfection together. and despite her feelings on what-if-maybes, conway does get a little starry-eyed over stephen. not romantically, thank god, but in her own distinctive way:

Antoinette Conway lives inside our heads starting with the prologue when she tells us about the stories her ma made up about her da. She never did get the truth about her absent father -- only "squirted Fairy liquid". Her birth certificate says Unknown. ..... I enjoyed many of the stories, some told by others than the author. I liked hearing of a botanist who was emboldened to wander from the path for the first time ever in an area local to him and found a rare flower of which he, and I gather everyone else, was completely unaware. Not only was this interesting (well, it interested me!) but this short tale was told perfectly – just perfectly – to make several points at once. There were times halfway through when I was scared. Terrified. Projecting. Imagining what was going to happen next. Picturing the ABSOLUTE WORST. Stomach in knots. At that point, I even messaged a Goodreads friend who just finished this and told her where I was at and that I had a bad feeling. All I can say is.. Thank god! My imagination ran wild and I was WAY off course. Tana French does that. She leads you down a path and you think, OMG!!! And you are wrong! I was led astray more times than I can count. And, in this instance, PHEW!!! Countryside-for-All-Guide.Pdf’ < https://www.pathsforall.org.uk/mediaLibrary/other/english/countryside-for-all-guide.pdf> [accessed 7 November 2022] I've had input from friends who love this series. Some of them thought this book was the best, while others favored the first book. I enjoyed this author's writing style enough to read another book by her. Perhaps I'll read the first book and decide which I like best.

About the contributors

The Sue Grafton alphabet series is as close to a detective novel as I've gotten. Actually, you could say that "The Trespasser" does not fit into any genre that I usually read. So, in many ways, reading it has been an adventure for me. Am I glad I journeyed down a new road? Yes. A certain line is snort-out-loud funny because you know the characters so well; you can just picture Detective Conway delivering it. Another scene is creepy because French has built the story up to that moment so well. And I can't quote the whole book to you... so I guess you'll just have to read it! Op.cit., p. 270. Elsewhere Hayes uses more qualified language, but also says towards the end of the book “92 per cent of English land is out of bounds to the public.” The Bloomsbury flier also states “We may be excluded from most of our land – no less than 92% of England…” Unlike Scotland and many countries in Europe and the rest of the world, people in England have uncontested access to just 3% of the rivers and 8% of the land. Access to the remaining 97% involves potential trespass.

Not pointing at the politics - interpret and translate the experience, and be authentic to the nature, of the nature. Water Droplets “Hold Secret Ingredient behind Origins of Life”, Scientists Say’, The Independent, 2022 < https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/water-droplets-life-earth-amino-acid-formation-b2191755.html> [accessed 13 October 2022] To undo the horrors of centuries of enclosure, we must recommon the land, which is to say, make the land work for community benefit including, but not limited to access. 46 Let us delve a little further into the case being made. Once upon a time in a golden age life for the vast majority of us was oriented around the common, wherein local people – commoners – cared for the land “in such a way that their grandchildren and their grandchildren’s grandchildren could benefit from it too.” 47 Unfortunately Harold lost at Hastings in 1066, ushering in the concept of enclosure, first for deer parks and in subsequent centuries driving people to the cities in search of work “when common land turned to private land” 48, 49 resulting really in pretty much of everything we all probably lament in our changing countryside; “neoliberal enclosure… [n]ew housing estates on greenbelt land, new industrial estates… obliterating [nature] altogether.” 50

Reviews

Uncovering How Microbes in the Soil Influence Our Health and Our Food’, Washington Post< https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/uncovering-how-microbes-in-the-soil-influence-our-health-and-our-food/2019/09/27/81634f54-a4ba-11e9-bd56-eac6bb02d01d_story.html> [accessed 12 October 2022]

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop