South: The Endurance Expedition

South: The Endurance Expedition

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Does the arsonist fireman deserve a medal for rescuing children from the apartment-building he set on fire? Adventure stories can often be captivating if the story is told the right way. In the case of a non- fiction adventure, a solid bit of storytelling can leave the reader amazed and astonished, often in a more surprised state of mind than if the book was fictional. Such is the case with Endurance. When I had finished reading the book, I went online to find the pictures were taken on the voyage and survived. They were amazing and reinforced, even more, the courage and resilience needed to endure this catastrophe.

None of these enterprises prospered, and his main source of income was his earnings from lecture tours. He still harboured thoughts of returning south, even though in September 1910, having recently moved with his family to Sheringham in Norfolk, he wrote to Emily: "I am never again going South and I have thought it all out and my place is at home now". [70] He had been in discussions with Douglas Mawson about a scientific expedition to the Antarctic coast between Cape Adare and Gaussberg, and had written to the RGS about this in February 1910. [e] [74] Unlike the land, where courage and the simple will to endure can often see a man through, the struggle against the sea is an act of physical combat, and there is no escape. It is a battle against a tireless enemy in which man never actually wins; the most that he can hope for is not to be defeated. I listened to his one on audible and the narrator Simon Prebble was excellent, although I cant help wondering if I missed photos, maps etc in the printed copy which I always find adds so much to a book. Koehn, Nancy (2017). Forged in Crisis: The Power of Courageous Leadership in Turbulent Times. New York: Scribner. p.38. ISBN 978-1501174445. The book, as the expedition, is a sobering, frightening story of unrelenting suffering, challenges on a super-human scale, seemingly unrelenting and insurmountable obstacles, overwhelming odds against survival; but ultimately it’s very much truly inspirational story of hope, of never giving up. It’s a story about man’s incredible capacity for survival.

He never asked his crew to do anything he wasn’t willing to do. He placed himself when possible between his men and the danger. For example, when they camped on a beach he made sure he was closest to the water, so when the waves encroached on the camp, he was the first one drenched, he was able to wake everyone up and move the camp.

I appreciate what Dr Dobson has tried to do by re-publishing this as a "special Christian edition." But the reality is that this is not a Christian book and believing that the men "must have sought God" as they daily faced imminent death does not prove that they actually did this or that any were Christians. From the various journal entries and comments included it seems sadly likely that they were not Christians and an attempt to re-write the reality although well-intended seems to me to be a bit odd. Dr Dobson has also included an Afterword. He attempts to use an analogy from Endurance to explain end times theology yet he makes the point that his analogy will only probably be understood by those who are acquainted with Biblical prophecy. I don't understand the purpose of this, if it is for those who are already saved then it is not evangelistic so why form an ill-fitting analogy to try and link this story to the Christian faith? Full of awe-inspiring details of hardship, resolve and weather that defies belief, told by someone of unique authority. No one is more tailor-made to tell [this] story than Sir Ranulph Fiennes' - Newsday Author Alfred Lansing does a magnificent job pulling the book together. He relies heavily on first person accounts and the many diaries kept by the crew to lend the narrative credibility. The party includes Frank Hurley, a photographer, who takes many beautiful shots during the expedition, several of them featured in the e-version of the book that I read. Después de una selección de personal un tanto sorprendente, a ojo, este si, este no, el Endurance partió de Plymouth con rumbo Buenos Aires cinco días después de que Gran Bretaña declarase la guerra a Alemania (primera guerra mundial) con 28 tripulantes (+ un polizón) a bordo. From there a small party, including himself, would set out on the first crossing of the continent, ultimately arriving at the Ross Sea, south of New Zealand, where another group would be waiting for them, having laid depots of food and fuel along the way.

Read now or download (free!)

The rapidity with which one can completely change one's ideas ... and accommodate ourselves to a state of barbarism is wonderful." It is no spoiler to say that this is a story of survival – that fact is known to the reader at the outset. The story is well told and conveyed by Lansing, who had access to surviving ships logs and crew diaries – he also interviewed at length surviving members of the crew of the ‘Endurance’.

Saltwater Boils (aka pips or pigeons)...a condition where grit and dirt from clothing (usually around the wrists) create small abrasions that become infected and cause severe pain if not treated. These things were mentioned as a casual, passing comment and all I could think was “they had to suffer through those for months with no medical attention and only making them worse.” [No photos of this. A little too gross] The British National Antarctic Expedition, known as the Discovery expedition after the ship Discovery, was the brainchild of Sir Clements Markham, president of the Royal Geographical Society, and had been many years in preparation. It was led by Robert Falcon Scott, a Royal Navy torpedo lieutenant lately promoted commander, [18] and had objectives that included scientific and geographical discovery. [19] Because this is indeed a story of survival against all odds, common sense, and logic. And my opinion is based on the fact that I have traveled to Antarctica. I am relieved that I didn't even know about this utterly harrowing tale of man's survival prior to my visit to Antarctica. It would have been like watching "Titanic," "Poseidon," and then topping them off with movies of plane crashes before flying to one's cruise vacation. Toda esta información la podéis encontrar en internet con solo mover el ratón. Pero, amigos lectores, cualquier artículo que se lea sobre esta aventura palidece ante este libro que la cuenta como una novela basada en los diarios de los protagonistas. Tanto si conoces la historia como si no, vas a disfrutar de un libro épico donde los límites humanos se ponen a prueba.Para ello hicieron construir un bergantín rompehielos en Noruega al que le llamaron Endurance. Este barco fue construido con madera de roble y abeto con un revestimiento de madera de palo verde, la mas resistente que existe. Debía romper el hielo que se iba a encontrar. In some ways they had come to know themselves better. In this lonely world of ice and emptiness, they had achieved at least a limited kind of contentment. They had been tested and found not wanting.”

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop