Livewired: The Inside Story of the Ever-Changing Brain

Livewired: The Inside Story of the Ever-Changing Brain

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Plasticity has been known about for a long time and none of the information in the book was more than I learnt in my undergraduate degree. Particularly in the first chapter, the writing was very jerky, suddenly changing topic, even telling half a story then abruptly switching to something else before coming back to the original subject again.

Similarly, there's a bizarre reference many pages after telling us about Nelson's experience with his lost arm that out of the blue says 'Most visitor's to Admiral Nelson's statue in London's Trafalgar Square have probably not considered the distortion of the somatosensory cortex in the left hemisphere of that elevated head.I really loved Eagleman's discussion of the waterfall effect, and how it doesn't represent, as is often though, fatigue of sensory neurons, but actually represents an active recalibration. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. I found factual inaccuracies in the book that I know to be inaccurate because there were about my own field of expertise. Eagleman packs this book chock full with basic neuroscience knowledge - what we currently know about how the brain works, and we're only just scratching the surface - illustrated by rich, captivating examples.

Med hjälp av en mikrofon spelas ljud från omgivning in och omvandlas till en elektrisk signal som anpassas något för att sedan fortsätta längs hörselnerven till hjärnan. All of our books are 100% brand new, unread and purchased directly from the publishers in bulk allowing us to pass the huge savings on to you! With his hallmark clarity and enthusiasm he reveals the myriad ways that the brain absorbs experience: developing, redeploying, organizing, and arranging the data it receives from the body's own absorption of external stimuli, which enables us to gain the skills, the facilities, and the practices that make us who we are. I’ve enjoyed following David’s projects over the last decade, and as expected, this book did not disappoint.Since first learning of plasticity during neurophysiology lectures at university I have been fascinated by the brain’s ability to adapt. Particularly loved thinking about how our brain re-wires itself to new body plans, and was telling my spouse about this as they just had eye surgery and were adapting to their "new eyes" :) Real life applicability! And that's what I particularly appreciate about Eagleman's work: he provokes us to think about *both* the stuff we take for granted *and* the radical "adjacent possible". Den nya signalen beter sig inte likadant som den "riktiga" och upplevs till en början som brus för att sedan övergå mer och mer till en upplevelse som liknar den utan hörselskada.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop