Humans of New York (Humans of New York, 1)

£12.5
FREE Shipping

RRP: £25.00
Price: £12.5
£12.5 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

In early 2020, as the pandemic threatened to engulf New York City, Stanton moved from his Chelsea duplex to the Atlanta suburbs, where he grew up, with his wife, Erin, and their daughter, who was about to turn 2. (A second daughter was born this past January.) I flew to Atlanta a week before our trip to the Ginjan Café; Stanton met me at the front door of his new house wearing expensive sweatpants in a herringbone pattern — his everyday pants; he has multiple pairs — and a baseball cap that he pushed around on his head as he spoke. At 38, he has a ginger’s complexion, a full head of brown hair, and bronze-tinted eyes. The family’s new rescue dog, Tabby, rested on a barley-colored sectional couch. Stanton’s welcome had a defensive edge. “I know what you’re going to say,” he said later. “You’re going to say the founder of Humans of New York lives in Georgia.” Of a young couple in love: “They were happy with how this photo came out, if the shrieking was any indication”. Many readers came to this book through an extensive blog of an even larger collection of photos that the author took and maintains. I did not know of the blog until I found the book. I was glad of the opportunity to enjoy and respond to the book fresh in seeing it for the first time rather than to come to it with expectations of its content from viewing the blog. I found effective the arrangement of the photos, the use of captions, and the relatively spare use of stories to accompany the pictures. The photographs speak for themselves.

Why The Humans Of New York Refugee Coverage Is Such a Punch In The Gut". Yahoo!. September 29, 2015 . Retrieved November 17, 2015. I think HONY is an inspired project by a beautiful mind. History told through the photographic lens has always been one of our most powerful, evocative mediums since its invention. I also love that Stanton has tried to put these photographs into some sort of context by the very human questions he asks of his subjects (and the illuminating -- sometimes heart-wrenching -- answers he receives). Stanton’s interview technique involves something he has described as “following the heat,” in which he finds his subject’s most tender spots and probes until he elicits something deep. And in this first conversation with the woman from Arkansas, he focused on why she would have felt so powerless when her husband was not hitting or explicitly threatening her. “Most men control women through fear of violence or psychological abuse,” he told her. What specific thing was her husband doing to control her? She described how her husband would make her eat ice cream when she was trying to lose weight and how, during a visit to her parents, he bullied her into saying she loved him more than she did them. When she described how she groveled at her husband’s feet, begging forgiveness, Stanton continued to press. As it continued, Stanton’s interrogation started to feel both oppressive and naïve. He said, “In every story, I want to understand — ”

About

LaMantia, Jonathan. "Memorial Sloan Kettering is blown away by response to Humans of New York campaign". Crain's New York Business . Retrieved February 26, 2017. In 2015, Stanton features a Brownsville middle-schooler, Vidal, who names his principal, Nadia Lopez, as the biggest influence in his life. (Stanton later features Lopez on HONY.) The post garners more than 1 million likes on Facebook.

How the eyes of these people show you their heart, and how you can stare at a photo for hours and still find something new about it. How close you can feel to a person oceans away from you.

Series

Sometimes, I looked at the photos and read the accompanying stories and tried to guess where the people in the photo were from. I was wrong almost as often as I was right. Corinne Abrams and Qasim Nauman, Humans of New York Helps Humans in Pakistan The Wall Street Journal Aug 24, 2015 Many of my favorite photos are the ones in familiar places—Central Park, the High Line, the New York Public Library. I especially like the ones in Grand Central, since I know that building so well. Though I'm no connoisseur, I think these are superb portraits. But the quotes that accompany the photos are the main attraction. They’re so pungent and revealing. Honestly, I have no idea how Stanton does it, how he gets perfect strangers to open up to him. The combination of the portraits—portraits of people I might pass on any given day—and these deeply personal quotes is what hits home. Instantly a face is transformed into a person, and you see the portrait in an entirely new light. Aki ismeri a blogot/Facebook oldalt, annak nem is kell ajánlgatni. Igaz, a híresen elfogadó HONY közösség támogatása, szinte csupa pozitív hozzászólása nincs benne, de a fantasztikus portrék, a pár szóba, mondatba sűrített életek igen. (A következő könyv HONY Stories and Top Comments lesz, fogadok.)

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop