Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Collection [DVD]

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Collection [DVD]

RRP: £21
Price: £10.5
£10.5 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The author, John Le Carre wrote in November 14, 2006, as he reviewed the 150th printing of this edition, “Dr. Watson doesn’t write to you, he talks to you, with Edwardian courtesy, across a glowing fire. His voice has no barriers or affections. It is clear, energetic and decent, the voice of a tweedy, no-nonsense colonial Britisher at ease with himself.”

I really liked the experience and I am proud of this accomplishment. My first time to read a canon. Before reading this, I thought that the word canon only applied to biblical works. Well, that was the first thing I learned upon adding this book in my currently-reading folder.We can discuss that once we are on the train," replied Holmes firmly. And, true to his word, he said no more until we were comfortably ensconced in the First Class carriage of the Dover Express. I became curious which of the Holmes stories did not get adapted and found a list at the bottom of the Wikipedia entry below.

I’ve read the Holmes stories many times over the years and watched all the Jeremy Brett adaptations several times, as well. Unfortunately because of Brett’s ill health, he was less and less present in the last adaptations and his death prevented him from finishing the Holmes canon Looking more closely, except for the novellas, A Study in Scarlet and The Valley of Fear, the unadapted, weaker episodes could be found in the last three volumes of the Holmes’ books.I am new to audiobooks. There is a certain point in the evenings where my eyes tire and I have no interest in watching TV, so these audiobooks keep me company in the watches of the night. I also take them to bed where they help me drop off to sleep. I know the stories so well that I don't have to worry that I will miss anything important. Some attempts to adapt Holmes overemphasize the detecting methodology, which is certainly quite inadequate by modern standards. The heart of these stories is the relationship between Holmes & Watson. The reader fills the shoes of Watson and goes off on these seemingly wild goose chases and it's fun. That's the point.

Conan Doyle's house, Undershaw, located in Hindhead, south of London, where he had lived for a decade, had been a hotel and restaurant between 1924 and 2004. It now stands empty while conservationists and Conan Doyle fans fight to preserve it. Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855. Starring one of radio's great double acts, Clive Merrison and Michael Williams, as Holmes and Watson, and with guest stars including Brian Blessed, Judi Dench, Maurice Denham, Andrew Sachs, Peter Davison, Robert Glenister and Harriet Walter, this definitive collection contains over 48 hours of enthralling listening.I proceeded to read all of the unadapted stories and did not remember a one of them and found some of them quite terrible. I can say, unreservedly, nothing was lost in not adapting them. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote in a classy classic manner and even if his settings were not familiar to me as a Filipino, I appreciated his stories because of the universal messages in them: love of a husband to a wife, a son to a father, a father to his child, etc; the evil in greed especially when it comes to riches and money; that men can be truly friends without homosexuality getting in-between; that we have to respect the people we work with; always be wary of the people around you; and that, if used in moderation, cocaine and morphine can actually make you sharper. I cringed while typing the last one. There are other details that seem impossible to not notice: the fact that, despite Holmes and Watson being clearly hetersexual, their relationship is nevertheless odd, that Holmes was a high-functioning autistic (Asperger's, my guess), and that Watson was a terrible doctor, seeing as how he treated every patient with brandy regardless of their ailment. Although Doyle had written other adventure series, Professor Challenger and Brigadier Gerard, he considered his true calling to be an author of Medieval Romances, with knights and so forth. I read some of them and they are quite wordy and pretty bad. The short story was Doyle’s true métier. And I say, without hesitation, if not for Holmes, Doyle would now be forgotten. Most of the stories are highly atmospheric and if you've ever been to England it's very easy to immerse yourself in the narrative, which I thought was marvelous.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop